Ross Gload

VAfan

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
All im saying is give Gload a chance to play once in a while to give Konerko a days rest and give him a chance to regroup and rethink his approach at the plate. 

There are not allota upgrades at first and thats what sucks.

Ok, I can't pull up the comment about can Gload bat 4th and replace Paulie. I've said this before we need to get Paulie out of the 4 hole once in a while. We can play GLoad and bench Paulie without batting Ross 4th. We also don't have to bat Paulie 4th when he's playing we could give Paulie a rest from #4 and move him to 5th, 6th or 8th on occasion. Dye, Everett, Rowand, or use Gload against as #4 against lefties. HE may prove to be the best man on that day. could bat there on occasion we may even find they are better suited to that role. Iguchi was a #3 hitter in Japan he adjusted to the #2 spot. There is different pressures on each place in the batting order. At some point everybody ends up leading off an inning and the leadoff man may bat cleanup a few times a game. Each player has to handle their changing roles and produce.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
I just laugh at everyone who says Paulie swings for the fences all the time.  All you have to do is look at what he does with 2 strikes.  Paulie specifically looks to go to right, more specifically the right center gap.

If you doubt that look at how the outfielders shift when Paulie gets two strikes on them.  You'll see the CFer move over to cover that gap.  Paulie is not a selfish hitter.  He has his faults and isn't dominating (although I'm positive he's hitting pretty darn good since the break).  Now he has struggled with runners in scoring position, but hey, s*** happens and career wise he's always been a pretty damn good run producer. 

He comes through clutch and I can't help but laugh when I see so many people talk about how crappy he is.  Without him, this offense would be a whole lot worse.  Are there better 1bman, sure there are, but not many.

By the way Dan, I'm just kind of adding to what you said, definately not disagreeing with ya.

I'm with you on this. Paulie hasn't been great, but the Sox would be much worse off without him in the lineup.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:40 PM)
Paul Konerko is hitting .327 in close and late (Close And Late - results in the 7th inning or later with the batting team either ahead by one run, tied or with the potential tying run at least on deck.) situations. OPS of .984 in the same situations. And you're telling me he sucks when it matters. :rolly

He's up in the 1st thru 6th with oppurtunities and we see him failing a lot. what are those figures.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:41 PM)
He's up in the 1st thru 6th with oppurtunities and we see him failing a lot.  what are those figures.

How long have you been watching baseball? Baseball is a game of failure, the best hitters fail 7 out of every 10 times up to bat. Numbers can be made to make whatever point you want. Konerko is by no means perfect but he is not as bad as you guys make out. Especially with the constant griping about his grounding into double plays and he isn't even first on the Sox in that category.