The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
Reports indicate Burnett doesn't want to be here. I don't believe he's a significant upgrade over Contreras, also his acquisition would mean El Duque who was signed in part for his playoff prowess, would become a long man in the pen for the playoffs. I wouldn't mind adding Burnett, but BMac could easily bring you a part you more desperately need, that being a middle of the order guy who can get hits with runners on base, and Marte has been inconsistent but hurt. When he's healthy he is cheap and one of the best left hand relief pitchers in the league. Just say no, KW.

JUST SAY NO, KW.

I read in the Washington Post this morning that Burnett wants $50-55 million over 4 years, not the $40 million that has been bandied about.

Embree, Kline, Villone, Eyre??? None are as good as Marte, who will be used in more postseason games than Burnett. Indeed, if Burnett is our 4th starter, how many games will he get in the postseason? 3? 4 tops, if we play in the WS?

There is no way we can sign him for $50 million, and short of that, it appears he's going to test the FA market as one of the few arms out there in the offseason.

And BMac? Ozzie didn't compare him to Jack McDowell on a whim. Does anyone doubt he'll get plenty of starts next year filling in for El Duque? We have no other pitchers in the minors who can start a game. We need that 6th starter. In 2001-2004 we found out what our season looked like without a solid performance out of the 5 hole.

JUST SAY NO, KW. :nono

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
I'd take this deal, Burnett has playoff/world series experience which is a big plus, we can move Duque into the #5 slot until the playoffs...this deal opens up a ton of opportunity for us at the cost of Marte, and as good as Marte has been, I'm not sure I'm confident in putting a two pitch pitcher in a must win playoff game.

Burnett sat out the Marlins run to the WS. He was on the DL.

One quick thing I want to say is this.

How much better are the Sox with AJ Burnett?

AJ Burnett basically slides in and replaces Contreras in the rotation. Is it an upgrade, some would say no, some would say yes...a major one...not likely.

Contreras slides into the pen. Who knows if the Sox get another lefty. So is Contreras (the reliever) make the pen stronger than one with Marte? I don't think so, simply because we don't know.

Honestly as much of a Burnett fan as I am, I'm starting to wonder just how much sense this deal makes. If the club gets Lowell, I can see it making a bit more sense. Lowell is a much better player than he's showed this year and could definately help out the club (plus a great insurance option if something happens to Joltin Joe).

Now this deal does do one thing...if Duque goes down the Sox can just pencil in Contreras giving them very good depth in the rotation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now lets look at something else. Say the Sox trade Burnett for Wagner. The rotation stays the same (no loss here, we have a good rotation, especially if Duque pitches like he did last night).

Wagner replaces Marte (he's much better than Marte). So the rotation stays the same but the pen gets much much stronger and the Sox also have great depth in case Hermy's back stiffens up and puts him on the DL (that or Hermy simply slides into the 8th inning role, meaning Politte to the 7th) and in a sense you could make it a 6 inning game.

Basically put...I'd rather make this deal with the idea of getting Wagner than the other way around.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:04 AM)
So, you would deal AJ Burnett, BMac, and Damaso Marte for Wagner???

No, your dealing Bmac and Marte for Wagner essentially. Burnett is just the chip you use to get Wagner. But since to get Burnett you gave up those two, its essentially Marte and Bmac for Wagner.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
I found this interesting tidbit on another site...so I am not sure how valid it is but it could be interesting considering the rumor that Burnett may not want to come here...

Phillies interested in Burnett

July 24

The Phillies would trade closer Billy Wagner , but only if he brought back an impact starting pitcher. They'd probably deal him for A.J. Burnett , but the Marlins wouldn't want Wagner. That's why the Phillies have told the Red Sox and the White Sox that they would consider dealing Wagner for Burnett should one of those teams acquire him.

If the deal is BMac and Marte for Burnett, who is then immediately flipped to Philly for Wagner, then I am marginally for it.

Wagner is also a FA at the end of the year, and probably can't be re-signed. But he is much more likely to have a positive impact this year in the postseason, with Hermanson unable to pitch on an every-game basis. Indeed, Wagner would likely get in every game in which we had the lead.

I could be very happy with:

Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, and El ContraDuque

backed by:

Wagner, Politte, Cotts, Jenks and Hermanson (Vizcaino only gets blowout duty)

in the postseason.

Frankly, if we needed a backup starter this year or next, we might use Hermanson.

And I would do that in a second, no doubt about it.

Essentially that's trade Marte, a great setup man and a prospect in Bmac (and I don't care what anyone thinks about Bmac, he's hit or miss right now), and in return we get an ELITE closer who can hit 100mph from the left side.

Yes, yes and yes again.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
No, your dealing Bmac and Marte for Wagner essentially.  Burnett is just the chip you use to get Wagner.  But since to get Burnett you gave up those two, its essentially Marte and Bmac for Wagner.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:09 AM)
And I would do that in a second, no doubt about it.

Essentially that's trade Marte, a great setup man and a prospect in Bmac (and I don't care what anyone thinks about Bmac, he's hit or miss right now), and in return we get an ELITE closer who can hit 100mph from the left side.

Yes, yes and yes again.

I would too. I think thats significantly upgrades the pen. I don't think acquiring Burnett and sliding Contreras to the bullpen really upgrades the rotation that much. It does give the club a lot of depth if someone is injured though.

However, what if they add Burnett and than spin Contreras and someone for Wagner (whose to say Philly wouldn't be interested).

Manager Ozzie Guillen said yesterday that he may give Bobby Jenks some save opportunities if Dustin Hermanson's back continues to be a problem.

“If Dustin continues to have the back problems and we have to continue to take care of him, yeah, I’ll put Jenks there,'' Guillen said. “This kid, the last couple outings, has shown me what kind of heart he has. And he’s got a lot of guts. When you have that and you throw strikes with that velocity, you have a great chance to be real special in this game.'' Jul. 24 - 8:41 am et

Source: Arlington Heights Daily Herald

Brandon McCarthy - Starting Pitcher

According to the Chicago Tribune, the White Sox are talking to the Marlins about a deal that would send Brandon McCarthy and Damaso Marte to Florida for A.J. Burnett.

The White Sox would likely try to sign Burnett to a contract extension, as general manager Ken Williams has said he is against trading top prospects for ''rental players.'' Jul. 24 - 8:38 am et

Source: Chicago Tribune

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
And Marte and McCarthy have been what? Marte has been very inconsistent and possibly injured and McCarthy has not shown a damn thing in the majors or minors this year. Yes I take that chance on a power arm who has received very little run support.  Especially to make him my 3rd or 4th starter, I say HELL YES!

Marte has tremendous stuff from the left side. To me it looks like his ball gets to the plate incredibly fast. His difficulty is that he is wild, and so they sit on the fastball in. Still, he's a valuable 4th arm in a pen that is going to get worked in the second half, esp. since Hermanson can't go every day. In the postseason, he could be every bit as valuable as the difference between AJ Burnett and a combination of El Duque and Jose Contreras.

And McCarthy is going to be a great pitcher. The reason you can tell is his K/BB ratio at this stage of his career. Give the kid more than 3 starts before you proclaim him a failure.

The ONLY way I'll be optimistic about this deal is if they flip Burnett for Wagner,

and then re-sign Wagner.

Edited by VAfan

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
Thanks!  Yeah, Wednesday night at about 5:00 p.m. my liver is going to get punished!!  It's a weird ordeal to go through, and can't wait for it to be over!

my brother is taking it too....good luck

QUOTE(Whitesox4ever @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
Urbina

Okay, that makes some sense.

I guess one thing KW could do is ask for negotiating time with Burnett and during that time work out a deal with Philly? Because, otherwise, could FL kill the deal if they knew Burnett was ending up with a division rival?

If we're not going to flip Burnett, then I'm strongly against the deal. Contreras, Bajenaru and Munoz or Diaz is still better than anything Boston is going to offer FL.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
Okay, that makes some sense. 

I guess one thing KW could do is ask for negotiating time with Burnett and during that time work out a deal with Philly?  Because, otherwise, could FL kill the deal if they knew Burnett was ending up with a division rival? 

If we're not going to flip Burnett, then I'm strongly against the deal.  Contreras, Bajenaru and Munoz or Diaz is still better than anything Boston is going to offer FL.

Bronson Arroyo is a pretty solid pitcher who would be pretty good in the NL, imo. Plus they get a prospect. Its not that much different of an offer.

However I think they'd consider an offer around Contreras and someone else could intrigue them, but Kenny doesn't want to deal Jose or thats the gist I'm picking up.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
Bronson Arroyo is a pretty solid pitcher who would be pretty good in the NL, imo.  Plus they get a prospect.  Its not that much different of an offer. 

However I think they'd consider an offer around Contreras and someone else could intrigue them, but Kenny doesn't want to deal Jose or thats the gist I'm picking up.

Arroyo was brought up in the Pirates organization and pitched in the majors there for three years.

QUOTE(Whitesox4ever @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
How about this deal

Sox would send to Fla

B Mac

Damaso Marte

Ryan Sweeney

Count

for

Aj Burnett

Alex Gonzalez

G Mota

That deal is absolutely retarded...

First off why would they give us Mota when they are trying to improve their pen...

It makes no sense....

As for the real trade idea I would absolutely love the deal that gets Wagner here...

Lets face is Marte isn't anywhere near what he usually is this year and his arm is still an issue.... BMAC is still just a prospect... Burnett wouldn't be a replacement for Jose more then he would be insurance for an injuried El Duque in my opinion but as long as El Duque is healthy then Wagner could do alot for this team..

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
Bronson Arroyo is a pretty solid pitcher who would be pretty good in the NL, imo.  Plus they get a prospect.  Its not that much different of an offer. 

how Fing sweet would it be, if KW completely controls this trade market, nabs burnett for marte bmac, spins him for wagner. then nails together a package of something like chris young, tracey, for lilly, then sends lilly uribe and contreras for schmidt and vizquel...............obviously me dreaming but man that would completely take every competitor out of the trade market, tho it woud be trading two of our top three pitching prospects, top OF prospect, and count and marte.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:46 PM)
Kris Benson was the flavor of the month last season. He was awful.

He was? I don't remember that at all. I don't remember anyone comparing him to the type of pitcher Burnett is. Most were saying trading for him would be a mistake. I never remember him being the "flavor of the month"

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
His ERA the las 2 months is over 4.50. That's in the NL. Run support hasn't been the issue.

Now show me how many good outing he has had compared to bad. Were there a coupld bad outings so awful that it blew up his ERA to that point or has he been consistently bad? That would mean more to me.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
That deal is absolutely retarded...

First off why would they give us Mota when they are trying to improve their pen...

It makes no sense....

As for the real trade idea I would absolutely love the deal that gets Wagner here...

Lets face is Marte isn't anywhere near what he usually is this year and his arm is still an issue.... BMAC is still just a prospect... Burnett wouldn't be a replacement for Jose more then he would be insurance for an injuried El Duque in my opinion but as long as El Duque is healthy then Wagner could do alot for this team..

The Marlins arent very happy with Mota and there has been reports here in Fla that they want to get rid of him.

Would rather have Mota in the bullpen than the Count.

Also Ozzie loves the way Gonzalez plays and saw an article people think Alex will sign with the SOX in the offseason

Edited by Whitesox4ever

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
Now show me how many good outing he has had compared to bad. Were there a coupld bad outings so awful that it blew up his ERA to that point or has he been consistently bad? That would mean more to me.

He had that one game against Philly where he got hammered (thats just off the top of my head).