The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
So unless they make a trade in the middle of the night, Levine was wrong?

Not surprising...

You hit the nail on the head! Who is the f***wad that says Levine is 95% right???

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
To his credit, he spoke a lot of "Within the next 24 hours" talk.  So, we can't call bulls*** on him just yet.

I know a lot of you are chomping at the bit...but just hang loose.

Do trades ever happen in the dead of night? Not being sarcastic, just wondering. He said it this morning, so 24 hours means it has to happen tonight or really, really early.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:41 PM)
Everyone also forgot when they talked to Ozzie about it.  How he complemented AJ and said he was like family and he is a great pitcher and they are good friends.  The last time we had this type of talk was last year when Garcia signed with us.  Guillen again might be a bargaining chip here.  Money is great, but for pennies on the dollar is AJ going to go somewhere where the manager is a dick and the team might not be in contention.  Or does he sign here for a few pennies less, play for Ozzie a guy he knows, plays for a competitive team year in and year out. 

Methinks that he will be traded here and will sign here.

I sure hope so...

I'm glad you have people like Levine and Gammons. They hear something (and they do have contacts) and they pass it on. Doesn't mean they are going to be right, but I want to know who they are interested in (keeps me interested at least and gives you an idea of what the club is looking at, doesn't mean its going to happen).

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
Do trades ever happen in the dead of night?  Not being sarcastic, just wondering.  He said it this morning, so 24 hours means it has to happen tonight or really, really early.

Well, I was hearing these reports around 10 AM.

Wait...who the hell cares, Herb! :bang

The guy heard something, he reported it...give the guy a break. He's just doing his job.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
I'm glad you have people like Levine and Gammons.  They hear something (and they do have contacts) and they pass it on.  Doesn't mean they are going to be right, but I want to know who they are interested in (keeps me interested at least and gives you an idea of what the club is looking at, doesn't mean its going to happen).

...beat me by an eyelash.

If your AJB's agent, and the White Sox are offering you 3 yr 30 mil....you'd have to think the Yanks or Red Sox or another team would offer more money than that. Burnett is easily the most coveted FA on the market this offseason.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
If your AJB's agent, and the White Sox are offering you 3 yr 30 mil....you'd have to think the Yanks or Red Sox or another team would offer more money than that.  Burnett is easily the most coveted FA on the market this offseason.

I think he gets between 8 and 10 million. We shall see what happens though.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
If your AJB's agent, and the White Sox are offering you 3 yr 30 mil....you'd have to think the Yanks or Red Sox or another team would offer more money than that.  Burnett is easily the most coveted FA on the market this offseason.

This brings up another highly-debated topic; that of taking a contract with a club before reaching free agency in hopes of staying healthy and not screwing up your chances of hitting it big in the future.

It's late...but, do you all know where I'm going with this?

Perfect example: Ben Sheets.

Ben Sheets could have made an absolute KILLING on the open market last season, but chose to take a conservative--I say conservative, LOL it's still in the multi-millions--with his current club to stay put and ensure some money in the bank for the future.

This Burnett thing is too hot. It's being covered on ESPN, all the local stations, JR quoted as saying rent-a-player on Burnett is ok, all of it seems to point strongly to it's going to happen.

I can only hope that AJ & Cooper can bring out the best in AJB like they have in Contreras.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:48 PM)
This Burnett thing is too hot.  It's being covered on ESPN, all the local stations, JR quoted as saying rent-a-player on Burnett is ok, all of it seems to point strongly to it's going to happen.

I can only hope that AJ & Cooper can bring out the best in AJB like they have in Contreras.

:huh:

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
Well, most recent Phil Rogers column says it would be Contreras, Marte, and McCarthy for AJB.  This would be a brutal, brutal trade for the Sox.  Please say no KW!

Not happening. From all we've heard, Contreras is out of the deal.

Believe me, the Sox are in the catbird's seat here; the Marlins are in no position to make demands.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:49 PM)
Well, most recent Phil Rogers column says it would be Contreras, Marte, and McCarthy for AJB.  This would be a brutal, brutal trade for the Sox.  Please say no KW!

Nobody knows what the hell is going on, it's a different package every time I look.

Wait and see what shakes down.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:51 AM)
Not happening.  From all we've heard, Contreras is out of the deal.

Believe me, the Sox are in the catbird's seat here; the Marlins are in no position to make demands.

Well, I trust Phil Rogers a lot more than Bruce Levine.

Well, the Rogers column doesn't say that Contreras is all the sudden involved. He only mentioned the possibility of Florida wanting him included. Sounds like he was just speculating.

It's possible that Jose Contreras, the Cuban who weathered 100-degree heat to be the winning pitcher in Sunday's 6-4 victory, won't still be with the White Sox when they return from the upcoming trip to Kansas City and Baltimore. The Sox might have to send Contreras, Marte and pitching prospect Brandon McCarthy to Florida to get Burnett, who raised his stock by holding San Francisco to one unearned run in 71/3 innings Sunday.

I'd have to believe that a deal that would include both McCarthy and Contreras would be a deal breaker. But from the tone of this quote, it doesn't sound like Rogers knows for sure that Contreras is involved.