The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

Insider

Will A.J. stay or go?

Jul 25 - With A.J. Burnett producing another dominant start and the Marlins playing better baseball, they are weighing whether or not to trade Burnett by Sunday's deadline, Peter Gammons reports.

"We don't have to trade A.J. If we can make ourselves better in 2005 and for the future, we'll listen," said Marlins GM Larry Beinfest.

The White Sox and the Red Sox appear to be the two top suitors for Burnett. The White Sox would reportedly be willing to part with reliever Damaso Marte and rookie Brandon McCarthy, while the Red Sox are dangling Bronson Arroyo, with the possibility they could also include hot prospect Anibal Sanchez, Gammons reports.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just dont understand the logic of acquiring Burnett only to spin him for Wagner. I feel the Sox could do both if they wanted, and they are waiting for Burnett to happen before they move onto improving other facets of the team.

Im not saying that I dont think Wagner is as good as Burnett, Im just saying that they both fill different needs.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)
I just dont understand the logic of acquiring Burnett only to spin him for Wagner.  I feel the Sox could do both if they wanted, and they are waiting for Burnett to happen before they move onto improving other facets of the team. 

Im not saying that I dont think Wagner is as good as Burnett, Im just saying that they both fill different needs.

it would be amazing if they could do both, but philly i think has said that the only way they will deal wagner is if they get a pitcher like burnett in return. maybe they would accept a deal with contreras instead, along with ohter parts, but i dont think KW wants to dismantle the current roster THAt much, and i dont think philly would do that anyways

I just see acquiring Burnett as solifying a good rotation. If you spin him for Wagner, it just seems like slightly upgrading Marte(like giving Marte better control and a little more speed on his fastball), but it doesnt seem to me like the move to put the Sox over the top. JMHO

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:49 PM)
I just see acquiring Burnett as solifying a good rotation. If you spin him for Wagner, it just seems like slightly upgrading Marte(like giving Marte better control and a little more speed on his fastball), but it doesnt seem to me like the move to put the Sox over the top.  JMHO

Maybe you are right, but don't forget to consider the fact that Wagner would be a confident closer if Hermie is injured. Marte hasn't convinced me that he could be a closer. I'd feel much more confident in the playoffs with Wagner than Marte.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
it would be amazing if they could do both, but philly i think has said that the only way they will deal wagner is if they get a pitcher like burnett in return. maybe they would accept a deal with contreras instead, along with ohter parts, but i dont think KW wants to dismantle the current roster THAt much, and i dont think philly would do that anyways

My sentiments exactly. If KW could spin BMAC and Marte into Burnett and Wagner, I would definatley feel much better about our chances. As it is, I think a mid level prospect will be able to get Villone from Seattle if need be.

IN the last 3 years LH bats are hitting .231 with .317 OBP and only 84 hits in 364 ab's 34 BB's

Marte's are better largely because of his 2002 season. But this year the numbers arent there.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
I just see acquiring Burnett as solifying a good rotation. If you spin him for Wagner, it just seems like slightly upgrading Marte(like giving Marte better control and a little more speed on his fastball), but it doesnt seem to me like the move to put the Sox over the top.  JMHO

Wagner is more than a slight upgrade over Marte.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:53 PM)
Maybe you are right, but don't forget to consider the fact that Wagner would be a confident closer if Hermie is injured.  Marte hasn't convinced me that he could be a closer.  I'd feel much more confident in the playoffs with Wagner than Marte.

Did you guys read the article that was put in this thread earlier today? Billy Wagner was officially taken off the market. He is no longer available. So get him out of your heads.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)
Did you guys read the article that was put in this thread. Billy Wagner was officially taken off the market. He is no longer available. So get him out of your heads.

That's today ... tomorrow may be different.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
Wagner is more than a slight upgrade over Marte.

I understand that, but my point is that acquiring Burnett would probably have a better effect than acquiring Wagner. You cannot compare the two, they both exist in different parts of the pitching world, but I think that Burnett would have the desired effect that the White Sox are looking for.

I also think Jenks is going to become a pitcher to be counted on in the coming months.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
I also think Jenks is going to become a pitcher to be counted on in the coming months.

Agreed. If Jenks can throw strikes, he will be as dominant if not more than any reliever in the game.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
I understand that, but my point is that acquiring Burnett would probably have a better effect than acquiring Wagner. You cannot compare the two, they both exist in different parts of the pitching world, but I think that Burnett would have the desired effect that the White Sox are looking for. 

Jenks outings lately and his stuff and the emergence of Neal Cotts probably has made Marte a goner.

Lefty/Righty matchups aside 100mph heat and a knee buckling curve are equally hard to hit.

And sad to say, Neal has much better control than Marte right now. I never thought in a million years that I would ever say that. :huh:

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
Jenks outings lately and his stuff and the emergence of Neal Cotts probably has made Marte a goner. 

Lefty/Righty matchups aside 100mph heat and a knee buckling curve are equally hard to hit. 

And sad to say, Neal has much better control than Marte right now.  I never thought in a million years that I would ever say that. :huh:

jenks could be, but it certainly isnt anything im gonna count on. hes just simply not proven. at all. he could be solid this year down the stretch, but the jury is still out on that one. i just think its too big of a risk to say that he can automatically be thrown in 8th innings of close ball games

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
jenks could be, but it certainly isnt anything im gonna count on. hes just simply not proven. at all. he could be solid this year down the stretch, but the jury is still out on that one. i just think its too big of a risk to say that he can automatically be thrown in 8th innings of close ball games

I agree but I am SUPER excited abour him. MY dream scenario would be that he come in like KRod did for the Angels late in the season in 03 when the won the WS...

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
I agree but I am SUPER excited abour him. MY dream scenario would be that he come in like KRod did for the Angels late in the season in 03 when the won the WS...

who wouldnt want that?

The Phillies are only 3 games back with 6 more days until the deadline- i doubt they will fall out of contention in 6 days. That sucks because that means Wagner won't be dealt. :(

I also heard that Seattle won't be dealing Guardado either. :( :(

Other than Burnett the market sucks ass this season. If we do trade Marte/ McCarthy for Burnett- who takes Damaso's spot in the pen then? El-duque? Then we will only have 1 solid lefty out of the pen in Cotts. Unless they send Jenks back down and make a trade for a subpar lefty-reliever like an Affeldt. Hey what is Schoenwiese up to? Lol just kidding.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
Unless they send Jenks back down and make a trade for a subpar lefty-reliever like an Affeldt. Hey what is Schoenwiese up to? Lol just kidding.

Affeldt cannot stay healthy for more than a month. He seems to have the same sort of finger blister problems that have consistently plagued to Josh Beckett. A few elbow problems mixed in too.

I am listening to 670 AM and they are reporting that they are finalizing it. They are trying to agree on how much the Marlins will pay of the remainder of Lowell's contract and the Sox are also trying to negotiate with AJ Burnett to sign a new deal.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
If we do trade Marte/ McCarthy for Burnett- who takes Damaso's spot in the pen then? El-duque? Then we will only have 1 solid lefty out of the pen in Cotts. Unless they send Jenks back down and make a trade for a subpar lefty-reliever like an Affeldt. Hey what is Schoenwiese up to? Lol just kidding.

If we send El Duque or JC to the pen, that would push Luis out of the long relief role to more of a set up middle innings guy. Correct me if im wrong, isnt he better against LH batters anyway. Thats the only thought process on needing a lefty, if having someone to get lefties out. I think he could do the job.