The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
Is it in the same trouble as when we got rid of Maggs and Carlos Lee.

When we got rid of Maggs and Lee, we still had power in the line up, without Paul, we have an aging Frank Thomas and Dye when he is hot for our power. I'd rather give Paul the money because if we win it all, and get rid of Paul, then this year would be called a fluke.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
Is anyone worried that this could impact Jon garland re-signing with the Sox?  Im starting to get that sick feeling in my stomach.

Jon Garland has 1 more year of arbitration under his belt. Jon-G will be on the Sox next year. And he will be expecting big bucks after this season. I would like to see him get a similar deal to what Buerhle signed to.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
When we got rid of Maggs and Lee, we still had power in the line up, without Paul, we have an aging Frank Thomas and Dye when he is hot for our power.  I'd rather give Paul the money because if we win it all, and get rid of Paul, then this year would be called a fluke.

losing paul konerko is not going to make this team a last place team. I don't know why your thinking that. You say they'll call it a fluke and this franchise is in trouble if we lose PK. Don't know what team your watching this season.

On the Marlin's message boards they love the McCarthy and Marte (maybe Contreras) for Burnettl trade. They like McCarthy but I dont' think they've seen Marte pitch recently, they're thinking of the '03 Marte not the current one.

well, marte is one of the best relievers in the game, he can go multiple innings and is a south paw to boot

If they think Marte can go multiple innings they are going to be sourly disappointed.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
losing paul konerko is not going to make this team a last place team.  I don't know why your thinking that.  You say they'll call it a fluke and this franchise is in trouble if we lose PK.  Don't know what team your watching this season.

I'm not saying we'll be a last place team, or that our franchise is in trouble, but replacing PK with Lowell would not make us a playoff team in 2006. We can have all the pitching we want, but you still need to score runs and last time I check, having power is still apart of baseball. Lowell...15-20 hrs a season, PK...30-40 hrs a season, that is a huge dropoff.

Edited by AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
I'm not saying we'll be a last place team, or that our franchise is in trouble, but replacing PK with Lowell would not make us a playoff team in 2006.  We can have all the pitching we want, but you still need to score runs and last time I check, having power is still apart of baseball.  Lowell...15-20 hrs a season, PK...30-40 hrs a season, that is a huge dropoff.

Eh, PK is not that great of a player. He is crappy with runners in scoring position, doesnt hit to all fields, clogs the bases and has a low OBP and BA, not to mention his GIDP's. For a guy with as many Hr's as he hits, his RBI totals are pathetic. He doesnt fit the mold on this team, and I fully expect that he is gone after this season and we prosper because of it.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 07:23 PM)
I'm not saying we'll be a last place team, or that our franchise is in trouble, but replacing PK with Lowell would not make us a playoff team in 2006.  We can have all the pitching we want, but you still need to score runs and last time I check, having power is still apart of baseball.  Lowell...15-20 hrs a season, PK...30-40 hrs a season, that is a huge dropoff.

this is just an opinion, but lowell hits more than 15-20 homers for the sox. he'd be going from one of the worst home run parks in the bigs, to one of the best. not saying this to back any arguments, but imo if lowell is with the sox next year he's hitting 25-35 homers.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
lol at the Marlins board liking Marte. I hope they like walks to left-handed batters.

They really think they're getting Contreras in a deal for Burnett. McCarthy, Marte and Contreras for Burnett, which is not happoning.

They seriously have to watch a Sox game.

McCarthy is a stud, Contreras still gives us a chance to win this year and Marte is filthy and will help our bullpen tremendously.

McCarthy has the ability to become a very good #2 type pitcher in the majors.

They're not getting Contreras in the deal they think so that's not an issue.

And Marte can be dominate at times but most of the time he'd rather walk the first 2 batters of the inning and infuriate the manager. He was filthy in '03 and at times in '04 just not so much in '05.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
lol at the Marlins board liking Marte. I hope they like walks to left-handed batters.

The marlins board was saying the same thing about Billy Koch last year, like he was this golden nugget they were going to turn around instead of a rotten turd of a pitcher he was.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
They really think they're getting Contreras in a deal for Burnett. McCarthy, Marte and Contreras for Burnett, which is not happoning.

They seriously have to watch a Sox game.

McCarthy has the ability to become a very good #2 type pitcher in the majors.

They're not getting Contreras in the deal they think so that's not an issue.

And Marte can be dominate at times but most of the time he'd rather walk the first 2 batters of the inning and infuriate the manager. He was filthy in '03 and at times in '04 just not so much in '05.

Haha, nice sig.

That's why numbers lie with Damaso. They probably look at his stats and think he's been awesome this year, which he hasn't. This whole thing sounds like it's close to being done as of right now but these deals do fall apart all the time. Just a few days ago it looked like Baltimore had the Burnett sweepstakes all wrapped up.