The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
Contreras+BMac+Marte FOR Burnett+Vizquel.

Add Villone to the pen & I think KW's done the best job he could.

I like the way you think. What prospect would we send them then, Lopez???

I would be for that situational trade because it makes the bullpen just as strong if not stronger, makes the rotation better and adds a much needed consistant bat.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
I dont understand why Detroit is shopping Johnson so hard?  He is part of a staff that is in the top 5 ERA in the league.  Johnson has been hard on the Sox for the past 2 years, even though they have enjoyed mild success against him. Strange.

not sure what has been said on this board in the past 1.5 hours, but i can tell you from what i read before those 1.5 hours that this thread is a crock of s***. those 1.5 hours i spent listening to the radio in the car, and on am1000 not even one single mentino of this during their updates. 1 measly caller called in about burnett, but didnt say anyhting about a trade being in place. In addition 1 score update on 670 said that the white sox could be working on a trade for lowell and burnett, but that was about the extent of it. the way people on here post they make it sound like it was reported that the deal was pretty much done and that only a few minor details had to be worked out.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
not sure what has been said on this board in the past 1.5 hours, but i can tell you from what i read before those 1.5 hours that this thread is a crock of s***. those 1.5 hours i spent listening to the radio in the car, and on am1000 not even one single mentino of this during their updates. 1 measly caller called in about burnett, but didnt say anyhting about a trade being in place. In addition 1 score update on 670 said that the white sox could be working on a trade for lowell and burnett, but that was about the extent of it. the way people on here post they make it sound like it was reported that the deal was pretty much done and that only a few minor details had to be worked out.

I figured that. Everyone makes it seem like it's 95% done. Realistically, it seems like Baltimore got further down the road with the Burnett deal than us. I fully expect him to be traded there if Nevin doesn't accept the deal.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
Bruce Levine said that the Sox are offering Burnett a contract in the area of 3 yr/10 mil per year. Stay tuned.

I still don't think he's going to accept it even though we're maxing him out in terms of Sox type contracts. He's going to think, well if the White Sox are offering me this, imagine how much the Red Sox and Yankees will give me. I'll be very shocked if he were to accept it.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
I still don't think he's going to accept it even though we're maxing him out in terms of Sox type contracts. He's going to think, well if the White Sox are offering me this, imagine how much the Red Sox and Yankees will give me. I'll be very shocked if he were to accept it.

Well, you know how Reinsdorf is and his stance on starting pitchers. He won't offer them more than 3-year contracts. Given Burnett's injury history, this is quite a lot. There's probably incentives thrown in there, too.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
Bruce Levine said that the Sox are offering Burnett a contract in the area of 3 yr/10 mil per year. Stay tuned.

looks like maybe i turned the radio off at the wrong time, but i was listening up til 4:45 and didnt hear a thing

Farmer was on the radio with MJ+H and said he hadn't hear much of anything about a Burnett deal.

I suspect they are in or are entering the 72 hour window to negotiate an extension. Why else is Levine suggesting the Sox are talking contract with him, and further, give out specific numbers like $30m/3 yrs. ?

Seems to me they wouldn't be talking contract behind the scenes if there weren't something tentatively in place.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
Farmer was on the radio with MJ+H and said he hadn't hear much of anything about a Burnett deal.

I suspect they are in or are entering the 72 hour window to negotiate an extension.  Why else is Levine suggesting the Sox are talking contract with him, and further, give out specific numbers like $30m/3 yrs. ?

Seems to me they wouldn't be talking contract behind the scenes if there weren't something tentatively in place.

all i know is that last year, it was believed that some people may have intentionally leaked false info to levine about russ ortiz and andruw jones for magglio, so that the attention would be taken away from the deal that KW was actually making, which was the garcia deal.....not sayin thats whats happening, but i find it really hard to believe that 1.) levine is actuallyl reporting numbers, and that 2.) if he is reporting numbers, that 0 other media outlets are reporting anything serious on this trade. im not saying this wont happen, but im just sayin there are some reasons to doubt it

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
This was on around 5:15ish.

IS ANYONE AS SICK AS ME OF HEARING BEARS TALK ON THE RADIO!? ITS THE HEAT OF THE DEADLINE WITH A FIRST PLACE TEAM TALKING ABOUT ACQUIRING THE TOP STARTER ON THE MARKET, AND THESE ASSHOLES ON THE RADIO ARE TALKING ABOUT GODDAMN IAN SCOTT AND HOW GOOD OF A RUN STUFFER HE WILL BE. AHHHHH IM GETTING PISSED

I like the way you think.  What prospect would we send them then, Lopez???

I would be for that situational trade because it makes the bullpen just as strong if not stronger, makes the rotation better and adds a much needed consistant bat.

If the Giants were to make that trade then Deivi Cruz would fill out the year for them at SS & they would want a guy who could challenge in ST for the starting role. I think they would be looking at 23 yr old, Angel Gonzalez. The guy is top 30 in avg & rbi in the Southern League. I'm not sure where he ranks fielding wise but his numbers hitting wise are too good to overlook.

The trade from their perspective enables them to say they are still going for the NLW title this year & building for next year. From our perspective we strengthen our bench with Uribe (goodbye Ozuna), we help fill our weakness vs RHers with Vizquel, & of course we have the best .500 pitcher $ can buy in Burnett :D

I'm sure KW will get Villone to replace Marte if the Burnett trade gets done.

I'm not worried about Hermanson tiring out before the playoffs because once the White Sox clinch the division (MN down to 54) I think Ozzie will try to groom Jenks into the role & use Hermanson sparingly.

If KW gets all that done then I would say we're the favorites to win the WS.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
IS ANYONE AS SICK AS ME OF HEARING BEARS TALK ON THE RADIO!? ITS THE HEAT OF THE DEADLINE WITH A FIRST PLACE TEAM TALKING ABOUT ACQUIRING THE TOP STARTER ON THE MARKET, AND THESE ASSHOLES ON THE RADIO ARE TALKING ABOUT GODDAMN IAN SCOTT AND HOW GOOD OF A RUN STUFFER HE WILL BE. AHHHHH IM GETTING PISSED

In 4 words: It's a Bears town.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 05:30 PM)

Nope. Im excited about football, and its the only time of the year that a bears fan can be optimistic about the season.

And when the baseball season is over I have a smooth transition to another sport I love.

If KW could then swing Lowell+SS prospect for Vizquel it looks better.

why the hell do you want a new ss? uribe is an excellent ss, and a pretty good hitter. (although he has no patience at the plate). does anyone else think the team should be left alone? we're 31 games over .500, what more do you want?!?

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
In 4 words:  It's a Bears town.

i know it is, but IAN SCOTT!!?????? WITH 2 MONTHS TIL A MEANINGFUL GAME??? wait, i forgot its the bears, they dont play any meaningful games...............................

on a side not i am a die hard bears fan and by no way does my belittling of them have anything to do with me not being a true fan

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 05:30 PM)
If the Giants were to make that trade then Deivi Cruz would fill out the year for them at SS & they would want a guy who could challenge in ST for the starting role.  I think they would be looking at 23 yr old, Angel Gonzalez.  The guy is top 30 in avg & rbi in the Southern League.  I'm not sure where he ranks fielding wise but his numbers hitting wise are too good to overlook.

The trade from their perspective enables them to say they are still going for the NLW title this year & building for next year.  From our perspective we strengthen our bench with Uribe (goodbye Ozuna), we help fill our weakness vs RHers with Vizquel, & of course we have the best .500 pitcher $ can buy in Burnett :D

I'm sure KW will get Villone to replace Marte if the Burnett trade gets done.

I'm not worried about Hermanson tiring out before the playoffs because once the White Sox clinch the division (MN down to 54) I think Ozzie will try to groom Jenks into the role & use Hermanson sparingly.

If KW gets all that done then I would say we're the favorites to win the WS.

I dont think I could've agreed with you more.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)

silence yourself!! there can never be too much bears talk!!

QUOTE(soxfan3530 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
silence yourself!! there can never be too much bears talk!!

when it takes away from more urgent and meaningful (given the timing) white sox talk there sure can be too much bears talk

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
i know it is, but IAN SCOTT!!?????? WITH 2 MONTHS TIL A MEANINGFUL GAME??? wait, i forgot its the bears, they dont play any meaningful games...............................

on a side not i am a die hard bears fan and by know way does my belittling of them have anything to do with me not being a true fan

You don't sound like a Bears fan.

Bears fans are usually optimistic during training camp and don't start getting down on the team until 6 games into the season when they're 1-5.

You should be getting pumped right now for some Bears football, that defense is gonna be pretty damn good this year. We go P-Nut and Mike Brown comming back healthy along with a Brian Urlacher, though he does have other things on his mind.

16-0 baby.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 05:39 PM)

Bears fans are usually optimistic during training camp and don't start getting down on the team until 6 games into the season when they're 1-5.

You should be getting pumped right now for some Bears football, that defense is gonna be pretty damn good this year. We go P-Nut and Mike Brown comming back healthy along with a Brian Urlacher, though he does have other things on his mind.

16-0 baby.

Brown, Tillman, Urlacher, AND Zoom, AND Ogun.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)

16-0 baby.

i will admit, i bleed both silver and black and blue and orange, but at the same time, if the sox won the world series and the bears went 0-16, id be a happy camper