The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
Gammons on Sportscenter said FLA keeps winning AJ Burnett will NOT be traded.

these people are f***in with my head so much i dont know what to believe. about 3 hours ago i thought this deal was done. now everything in the national media is saying that it wont get done. gammons said in his article today that it is reportedly known that burnett would sign a long term deal if he was dealt to boston but probably not if he was dealt to the chisox.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 06:07 PM)
Peter Gammons knows nothing except for Boston s***. He seems to be never right.

If we are really talking contract with AJ Burnett then a deal has already been agreed to and we are just trying to lock him up for further years.

Don't listen to Peter Gammons. He is a big jamoke.

Agree just posting what he said.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
these people are f***in with my head so much i dont know what to believe. about 3 hours ago i thought this deal was done. now everything in the national media is saying that it wont get done. gammons said in his article today that it is reportedly known that burnett would sign a long term deal if he was dealt to boston but probably not if he was dealt to the chisox.

By the national media do you mean the East coast biased media? I would wonder why Yankee and Boston media people don't think the White Sox will get him. Stick with the local media.

According to an official of one club who has been speaking regularly with Florida GM Larry Beinfest, the Marlins aren't ready to jump at a White Sox package headed by hot pitching prospect Brandon McCarthy for one reason: They wouldn't be getting back an established starter who was ready to beat the Braves, Nationals, Phillies and Mets down the stretch. So either the White Sox would have to expand this deal to include the risky Jose Contreras, or Florida would have to turn around and make a companion deal for another starting pitcher.

IF this is true, then you can bet that an AJ Burnett trade isn't gonna happen for five or six days. It seems clear that the Red Sox don't want part with Arroyo.... So who else is gonna trade a signed starting pitcher for an unsigned starting pitcher? All the contenders need the starter's presently in their rotations. Toronto would be wasting money, Twins won't add payroll, A deal with the Yanks would result in a salary increase for Florida.

From their perspective, there is no reason to trade until all their options are exhausted... which would be on July 31st. Until then, maybe someone else will surprise them and make a deal.

But if nobody else comes up with anything, they'll just have to take the sox trade offer. Realistically, nobody is going to make them a contender for the world series... so my guess is that the speculation is a waste of time until about noon on July 30th.

bruce levine on now, saying its "good one day the next day you just dont know" sat. they were very close to getting the 72 hour window, in which they would talk about a 3 year 30 million dollar deal. he says boston is coming with their best offer today, and that it might go down to the wire.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)
bruce levine on now, saying its "good one day the next day you just dont know" sat. they were very close to getting the 72 hour window, in which they would talk about a 3 year 30 million dollar deal. he says boston is coming with their best offer today, and that it might go down to the wire.

Crap, this is going to be a VERY hectic week.

I hope KW is only using Burnett as a front, now that all of this crap about him now wanting to sign here is coming out. He's not worth all of this trouble, not by a long shot. Maybe there's still an outside shot at Schmidt, or some other starter that we haven't considered.

It sounds to me the original deal after BAL fell thru was Marte+BMac for Burnett. But after Sun's game the NLWC standings tightened up:

Atlanta 0 gb

Washington 0 gb

Philadelphia 3 gb

NY Mets 3.5 gb

Houston 3.5 gb

Chi Cubs 4.5 gb

Florida 4.5 gb

There are plenty of games left between those ball games which mean it's anybody's to win yet. Suddenly FL started thinking about this year as much as next year & said you got to give us Contreras. KW was caught off guard on that & discussed it with Ozzie & the front office as to what to do. They came back with the idea of Lowell but the Marlins have to pick up 1/2.

The Marlins are weighing paying 1/2 against trying to entice a team like BOS to make them a better off. That's why we're on hold.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 07:55 PM)
I've officially given up hope. I don't the Sox will do anything significant this year. The one year something could put us over the top.

if you say so.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:55 PM)
I've officially given up hope. I don't the Sox will do anything significant this year. The one year something could put us over the top.

Wow...throwing in the towel already? Guess we'll see ya next year buddy, lol :chair

As for me...i think KW has a ton of options that we don't even know about, only time will tell.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 07:20 PM)
Wow...throwing in the towel already?  Guess we'll see ya next year buddy, lol  :chair

As for me...i think KW has a ton of options that we don't even know about, only time will tell.

Absolutely... nobody has more plan "Bs" than KW... he will make a solid deal... he understands how close the Sox are... if he can't make a deal my guess is that there will be a ton of frustrated clubs out there as well.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
I meant I'm giving up on the Sox trading for someone. Not on the team's performance.

I know, I was just messing with you. I think KW will have to do something just in case Frank can't come back or if Count or El breakdown. There to good to stand pat.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
I meant I'm giving up on the Sox trading for someone. Not on the team's performance.

just because they don't want to overpay for a slightly better JC and have him for 2-3 months, doesn't mean they won't make a trade.

I'm hoping they make a better deal, for someone they actually need.