The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(heirdog @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 06:23 PM)
Sounds like a deal that could help the Whitesox win it this year but anyone else a little worried about the eery similarilities to the Willis for Clement trade made by the Cubs.  Clement is solid and the Cubs did have him for a couple years but Willis looks pretty dominant thus far in his young career.  We may only get AJ for 3 months and lose McCarthy.  I think this is just an off-year for Lowell and he is a big time clutch player so hopefully we pull the trigger.  I just hope we don't give up any more active roster guys, not named Timo or Willie.

No that trade was completely different. It centered around Alfonseca, who was awful. Clement was an afterthought. Plus Willis was a single A guy.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(heirdog @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
Sounds like a deal that could help the Whitesox win it this year but anyone else a little worried about the eery similarilities to the Willis for Clement trade made by the Cubs.  Clement is solid and the Cubs did have him for a couple years but Willis looks pretty dominant thus far in his young career.  We may only get AJ for 3 months and lose McCarthy.  I think this is just an off-year for Lowell and he is a big time clutch player so hopefully we pull the trigger.  I just hope we don't give up any more active roster guys, not named Timo or Willie.

Welcome to Soxtalk! :cheers

Personally I think that if the Cubs had kept Clement on the team for more than 2 1/2 years and attempted to maximize his potential then the trade would be equal for both teams. Alfonseca and Tavares both moved on, and Willis always seems to be lights out until the ASB. Right now, Willis and Clement are on pretty even ground. Clement is having a pretty good year.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
No that trade was completely different. It centered around Alfonseca, who was awful. Clement was an afterthought. Plus Willis was a single A guy.

Okay, thanks. I don't really care to know a lot about the Cubs so I didn't know the exact trade but now I do remember that "El Poopa" was in that deal. I'm just a little hesitant about losing the "spring training" B-Mac, who just turned 22 and is a strikeout artist that doesn't throw all that hard (less likely to be injured similar to Black Jack McDowell) for a guy we will get for 3 months that hasn't been the same pitcher since the Tommy John surgery (although no one can deny his stuff).

QUOTE(lemon44 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
Konerko is FA after this year and Brewers have Prince Fielder for next year.It would be a good deal for both teams,if it is true the Sox want Overbay.

I dont see that happening until next year. At this point, the Brew Crew cant rely on Fielder, in fact, I have always felt he would benefit more teams in the AL than in the NL. FWIW

I am just waiting to see something get done. if we get Lowell, thats cool, at least we have a dependable back up at 3B and 1B

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
Stone speculated that Delgado could go to the Mets.

sounds like the Marlins want to dump a bunch of salary. i can see us getting Lowell for pretty much nothing. Like a deal of: Marte/ McCarthy for Burnett and they will just throw in Lowell so they can be relieved of his contract.

QUOTE(lemon44 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
Konerko is FA after this year and Brewers have Prince Fielder for next year.It would be a good deal for both teams,if it is true the Sox want Overbay.

Welcome to SoxTalk!!!!!!!!! :gosox3: :headbang :cheers

You too heirdog, WELCOME!

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(southsider17 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)
Careful!

Sorry Southsider17. I won't accuse anyone of steroid use. I hope and I would expect KW to pay serious attention to this topic especially this season. There is over 20 million reasons why KW should investigate why Florida wants to move Lowell so bad. Did Lowell get some kind of parasite? Did he go on a new training program that puts emphasis on flexibility instead of strength? Did for any reason Lowell change? In this country you are innocent until proven guilty. I will not slander Lowell by accusing him of doing something I know nothing about. But if I was going to pay him that much money to play for my team, I'd want to know if he is smaller this year than last year. That's all. Is he? I really don't know.

From what little I know about Lowell, he seems like a great guy to have on your team. I'm excited about the possibilty of adding him. Am I wrong?

Anyone else think that KW may spin-off Lowell in another deal? I really don't see the need for him. Maybe the Marlins are saying the Burnett deal is contingent on the Sox taking him. Just a thought.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
When was the last time KW made a move that everyone saw coming?  This has been discussed days upon days. Watch KW sneak in, don't do this deal, and deal for someone not even discussed.

Like Miguel Tejada

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
When was the last time KW made a move that everyone saw coming?  This has been discussed days upon days. Watch KW sneak in, don't do this deal, and deal for someone not even discussed.

good point. this is too out in the open. very uncharacterstic of KW. hmmm..

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
Anyone else think that KW may spin-off Lowell in another deal?  I really don't see the need for him.  Maybe the Marlins are saying the Burnett deal is contingent on the Sox taking him.  Just a thought.

i think its a distinct possibility, but hte only way i see it happening, is if the sox pay most of whats left on lowells deal, but call me crazy but im glad we would get lowell. the dude is starting to hit, and if he moves into our park, and he comes back some, he could be a great pick up. not to mention, hes an inspiration being a cancer survivor, and hit that game winner vs. the cubs in game 1 iirc

Mike North talks a lot. If he says the Sox are after Overbay, I would not automatically think he is full of crap. He seems to know JR and interviews him. North got mixed up in the Scott Skiles contract thing and is supposedly a Sox fan. He calls JR his friend. I'm just saying, North would have more credibility than someone like me with no connections. If he is pulling crap out of his ass, he should shut up or lose what very little credibilty he has left.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
i think its a distinct possibility, but hte only way i see it happening, is if the sox pay most of whats left on lowells deal, but call me crazy but im glad we would get lowell. the dude is starting to hit, and if he moves into our park, and he comes back some, he could be a great pick up. not to mention, hes an inspiration being a cancer survivor, and hit that game winner vs. the cubs in game 1 iirc

He just might have some pop left in that bat, and we need someone to spell Crede because of his back and his extended slumps. I think that Lowell would be a welcome addition to the team. Of course, this means bye bye for Ross Gload. I think we could trade Gload right now, because obviously he isnt going to get his shot with the sox.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)

Good point, but I think KW blew his cover last year when he seemingly came out of nowhere to get Garcia. There is also much more attention on the Sox this year since they are 30 games over and the best team in baseball. Oh man it feels good to say that.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)
The update guy on AM1000 said the Sox and Marlins are trying to negotiate the final 2yrs. in Lowell's contract where he is owed 18 mil

Now we know how much he is owed.  I hope the Marlins pay atleast 10-12 mil

So does that mean AJ will sign long term?