The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
I like Burnett, just not sure I want to give up Bmac.  I'd gladly deal outfield depth though (just not named Chris Young).  My question is, does Fla really need an OF prospect?

Pierre is a FA next yr, and has been mentioned in trade talks this yr [not that Anderson could come in this yr and perform]. Not to mention Conine and Encarnacion getting old as dirt adn expensive. But FLA could use more power from their CFer. And they have Castillo who could lead off. Anderson could find a spot there in CF. And FLA would still have a corner spot for Jeremy Hermida

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
I still remember him suffering massive beat downs by Texas, Kansas City, and Tampa Bay.  I'm not saying whether trading him is right or wrong, but let's not label him untouchable because he held the Cubs at bay for five innings.

Boy BMac came a looong way from being a stud pitcher when he comes up to now being everyone's trade list. I can still remember last year when alot of people here thought Neal was crap... :rolly

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 07:05 PM)
I agree with you there Jas, why would the Marlins need an OF???? They have a loaded outfield with Pierre, Cabrera, and Encarnacion. They also have a few good OF in AAA. Hey, it's only better for the Sox...

Don't forget that CAbrera would go to 3b in a Lowell deal, leaving a corner OF spot open for the future.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
Pierre is a FA next yr, and has been mentioned in trade talks this yr [not that Anderson could come in this yr and perform]. Not to mention Conine and Encarnacion getting old as dirt adn expensive. But FLA could use more power from their CFer. And they have Castillo who could lead off. Anderson could find a spot there in CF. And FLA would still have a corner spot for Jeremy Hermida

Hermida is not ready for the bigs yet. His OBP is sick as he has 83 BB's and only 71 K's in 90 games but they have Colangelo and Padgett in Albequrqe.

Before we get too excited with the thought of Brian Anderson being included in the deal instead of McCarthy, I want to tell you what I just hear about 15 minutes ago on ESPN Radio 1000.

Bruce Levine said, and I quote: "Now, the Sox are talking about a deal for AJ Burnett surrounding Damaso Marte and "Brandon Anderson."

This really screws things up. Is Bruce just blanking on Anderson's first name or did he meant Brandon McCarthy? Damnit. Get your friggin facts straight and we don't have this problem.

A few other nuggets,

-Matt Clement, who pitched with Burnett in the Marlins system, said he's one of the best arms he has EVER been around, including the Prior's and Wood's and Schilling's of the world and that is saying alot. He called his stuff electric.

-If the deal is Marte and Anderson for AJ Burnett, I would have already lined up the press conference to hand Burnett his spiffy new Sox uniform.

-If acquired, the Sox would be the only team in baseball with two AJ's. :P

hey i dont feel like reading this whole thread throught so if someone could answer this question i would grateful. if this trade does go down will we have a window to lock up burnett with a long term deal and if so, will he be willing to sign with us? thanks in advance.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
Before we get too excited with the thought of Brian Anderson being included in the deal instead of McCarthy, I want to tell you what I just hear about 15 minutes ago on ESPN Radio 1000.

Bruce Levine said, and I quote: "Now, the Sox are talking about a deal for AJ Burnett surrounding Damaso Marte and "Brandon Anderson."

This really screws things up.  Is Bruce just blanking on Anderson's first name or did he meant Brandon McCarthy?  Damnit.  Get your friggin facts straight and we don't have this problem.

A few other nuggets,

-Matt Clement, who pitched with Burnett in the Marlins system, said he's one of the best arms he has EVER been around, including the Prior's and Wood's and Schilling's of the world and that is saying alot.  He called his stuff electric.

-If the deal is Marte and Anderson for AJ Burnett, I would have already lined up the press conference to hand Burnett his spiffy new Sox uniform.

-If acquired, the Sox would be the only team in baseball with two AJ's. :P

Well that is f***ed up. God damn Bruce Levine sucks. It could be Brandon Anderson or Brian McCarthy! Pick one then decipher lol. I can only hope it is Anderson, as in Brian Anderson.

QUOTE(soxfan3530 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
hey i dont feel like reading this whole thread throught so if someone could answer this question i would grateful. if this trade does go down will we have a window to lock up burnett with a long term deal and if so, will he be willing to sign with us? thanks in advance.

The window would be until the off-season as he can become a FA at the end of the year. Reports say he would not re-sign in Chicago. This is confirmed right?

Exactly.  BMac for Burnett straight up might be a great move for Florida.  I still remember how BMac was outdueling Mark Prior in Wrigley Field in his initial game until Ozzie pulled him too soon. 

He needs time to settle in, and then could join Cotts, Jenks, Politte, Garland, and Buerhle as homegrown pitching stars.  Backing El Duque again next year, I could see him winning 15 games within 2 years. 

Look at what Oakland does.  They find good young pitchers and go with them.  They don't buy other teams' FA outcasts. 

KEEP BMAC.

When was the last time the White Sox had a 10 game division lead in late July?

These seasons do not come along often for White Sox fans, what happens if you have a guy like Lance Broadway or Ray Liotta or Gio Gonzalez ready to contribute in two years? That's why they draft so many pitchers, some need to go in trades to help the big club right now.

As in, 2005. Don't worry about 2007. There will be other pitchers coming up.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)

These seasons do not come along often for White Sox fans, what happens if you have a guy like Lance Broadway or Ray Liotta or Gio Gonzalez ready to contribute in two years?  That's why they draft so many pitchers, some need to go in trades to help the big club right now.

As in, 2005.  Don't worry about 2007.  There will be other pitchers coming up.

^^^^^

:notworthy :headbang

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)

These seasons do not come along often for White Sox fans, what happens if you have a guy like Lance Broadway or Ray Liotta or Gio Gonzalez ready to contribute in two years?  That's why they draft so many pitchers, some need to go in trades to help the big club right now.

As in, 2005.  Don't worry about 2007.  There will be other pitchers coming up.

Nicely done.

If the Sox can win a pennant with AJ Burnett on the roster, no one will be calling for McCarthy in 2006.

FWIW, I'm starting to get the notion this is all about to happen.

Heck, SoxFan1 is probably like 18 yrs. old or so, and he (correctly IMO) is looking at winning this year.

For the rest of us over 40, it takes an even greater perspective.

For my 75 year old dad who watches every single pitch from his retirement home in Arizona ... the perspective is even more immediate.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
Heck, SoxFan1 is probably like 15 yrs. old, to be 16 on August 27th, and he (correctly IMO) is looking at winning this year. 

For the rest of us over 40, it takes an even greater perspective.

For my 75 year old dad who watches every single pitch from his retirement home in Arizona ... the perspective is even more immediate.

Fixed that for ya....

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
Aren't you supposed to be at the game today?

We cancelled our tickets and exchanged them for the Spetmeber 25th game against Minny. I am not sitting out there in 105 degree temps watching Count pitch!

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
Nicely done.

If the Sox can win a pennant with AJ Burnett on the roster, no one will be calling for McCarthy in 2006.

FWIW, I'm starting to get the notion this is all about to happen.

How does acquiring AJ Burnett guarantee us a pennant?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:26 PM)
:crying Toughen up. :P

Ha......ahaha........ahahahahaha. I'm not risking a f***ing heat stroke! Hopefully the Sept. game I go to is nice and cool and a division-clincher!