The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)
5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO

Thus far vs. San Fran

Watched a few innings. Florida's defense has misplayed a few balls. He is hitting 98 consistently and is around the plate.

Burnett looked good against a pathetic Giants lineup. Marte looked pretty bad again today.

Nonetheless, my mind hasn't changed. If the Burnett deal is intended to flip him for Wagner, okay. That fixes the bullpen.

And Contreras looked pretty good against a Boston team that is supposed to own him, while El Duque looked even better against them yesterday. I'm fine now with El ContraDuque as our 4th starter in the postseason, especially if the pen replaces Marte with Wagner.

I would not be happy giving up Brandon McCarthy, however. Oakland is riding young pitchers like that right into the Wild Card.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
Burnett looked good against a pathetic Giants lineup.  Marte looked pretty bad again today. 

Nonetheless, my mind hasn't changed.  If the Burnett deal is intended to flip him for Wagner, okay.  That fixes the bullpen.

And Contreras looked pretty good against a Boston team that is supposed to own him, while El Duque looked even better against them yesterday.  I'm fine now with El ContraDuque as our 4th starter in the postseason, especially if the pen replaces Marte with Wagner. 

I would not be happy giving up Brandon McCarthy, however.  Oakland is riding young pitchers like that right into the Wild Card.

BMAC is not quite what Oakland has, and has had. I dont think he compares much to mulder, harden, hudson or Zito. In fact, I think he would benefit from moving to a bigger park because all he does is give up bombs. His stuff isnt Major League ready, and wont be for awhile. We have enough arms to make up for his loss. Trade his ass right now, give me another top line player, and lets win the f***in thing.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
Burnett looked good against a pathetic Giants lineup.  Marte looked pretty bad again today. 

Nonetheless, my mind hasn't changed.  If the Burnett deal is intended to flip him for Wagner, okay.  That fixes the bullpen.

And Contreras looked pretty good against a Boston team that is supposed to own him, while El Duque looked even better against them yesterday.  I'm fine now with El ContraDuque as our 4th starter in the postseason, especially if the pen replaces Marte with Wagner. 

I would not be happy giving up Brandon McCarthy, however.  Oakland is riding young pitchers like that right into the Wild Card.

Since when is Brandon McCarthy as good as Danny Haren and Rich Harden? Hell, when did Oakland develop Danny Haren? He was groomed by STL. I don't give a damn about BMac. We have Gio in the system who actually will attack the zone. Burnett has electric stuff and arguably the best stuff in the whole major leagues(Clement at least thinks so).

Marte And BMac for Burnett. I'd do that deal anyday of the week. I just don't think it's happening though.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
Burnett looked good against a pathetic Giants lineup.

He could've thrown an 11-inning perfect game against the Cardinals in a bandbox stadium and someone would come up with an excuse to not get him. With the way Ozzie talked about him today and all the speculation, coupled with Marte's inconsistency, I think the chances are rising that we land him.

I'm still not convinced we're getting him, though.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
Since when is Brandon McCarthy as good as Danny Haren and Rich Harden? Hell, when did Oakland develop Danny Haren? He was groomed by STL. I don't give a damn about BMac. We have Gio in the system who actually will attack the zone. Burnett has electric stuff and arguably the best stuff in the whole major leagues(Clement at least thinks so).

Marte And BMac for Burnett. I'd do that deal anyday of the week. I just don't think it's happening though.

Gio is an A ball. And what the hell does "who actually will attack the zone" mean. Brandon's always had good control and always attacks the zone, that makes no freakin sense.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:46 PM)
Gio is an A ball.  And what the hell does "who actually will attack the zone" mean.  Brandon's always had good control and always attacks the zone, that makes no freakin sense.

hahahah i was thinkin the same exact thing when i read that post

Gio is an A ball.  And what the hell does "who actually will attack the zone" mean.  Brandon's always had good control and always attacks the zone, that makes no freakin sense.

Brandon does have good control, but his balls hang a lot. He doesn't like throwing his changeup in the zone for whatever reason. I see him topping out as a #3 pitcher which is what Burnett would be with. Except Burnett has much better stuff. Don't forget, we also got Buehrle, Garland and Garcia on this team. That leaves only two positions to fill if Contreras doesn't get resigned next year. I personally think Jose will be resigned to a smaller contract next year and Burnett would be the perfect guy to fill out the rotation. We're trying to win now. I could give a s*** less about BMac.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
Brandon does have good control, but his balls hang a lot. He doesn't like throwing his changeup in the zone for whatever reason. I see him topping out as a #3 pitcher which is what Burnett would be with. Except Burnett has much better stuff. Don't forget, we also got Buehrle, Garland and Garcia on this team. That leaves only two positions to fill if Contreras doesn't get resigned next year. I personally think Jose will be resigned to a smaller contract next year and Burnett would be the perfect guy to fill out the rotation. We're trying to win now. I could give a s*** less about BMac.

Jose's signed through next year and Burnett would be our 4th starter if he came here, maybe 5th.

Gio has allot of movement on his pitches, compared to McCarthys which are flat. Plus Gio has 4-5 pitches to McCarthys 2 and suspect change up. I believe that was his point.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
Gio has allot of movement on his pitches, compared to McCarthys which are flat. Plus Gio has 4-5 pitches to McCarthys 2 and suspect change up. I believe that was his point.

Maybe, but he said Brandon doesn't attack the sense which is false. Brandon's numbers were unreal in A ball so to think Gio is the better prospect compared to Brandon at this point is kind of ridiculous. I like Gio a lot but he has a ton to prove. Brandon's going to be fine, I will agree he needs to use that change more, it's actually a good pitch he just doesn't have a ton of confidence in it at this point.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:54 PM)

Your making this basis on what, six, seven starts that you've seen him?

Whatever. I've seen it all on this board. In April, I was told that "Joe Blanton can't pitch, because he doesn't know how to pitch.". And when I said that he's pitched well in the minors and that you can't make a prediction off of four starts, I was told that the minors were very different from the majors and that his track record didn't mean s***.

Well, Blanton has his ERA down to 4.68 -- not spectacular by any means, but pretty good, considering he gave up 27 ER in one month.

I don't mean to harp, but I hate this attitude that I *sometimes* sense here -- "well, McCarthy doesn't have the stuff to do well in the big league". Apparently he's doing something right, 'cause it's pretty damn hard to strike out 94 in just over 78 IP...

Edited by CWSGuy406

Flat out....BMAC >>> GIO

There is a reason when teams call the Sox they are asking for Bmac. I'm sick of all these people who think they have a clue how to evaluate talent and are ready to write off guys that are highly talented simply because they were rushed up to the majors and struggled.

I'll trade Gio, I'd be really hard pressed to trade Brandon and I'd like to think I have a very thorough understanding of the Sox system.

If Billy Wagner proves to be the difference maker in the WS you can bet your last dollar he will NOT be a rent-a-player for the WSox. He will be here to stay.

This move can not only solidify the pen for this year's run, but with the most important position players expected back in 2006 it sets us up to win it next year as well.

That's the kind of move you overpay for & make no mistake about it BMac + Marte is overpaying. But that's the way it works this time of the year. You acquire Wagner not only to help yourself but to play keep away from others.

I don't care how electric Burnett's stuff is. If he's proven to be wild & inconsistent after over 100 starts under his belt there isn't much hope for improvement.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
Flat out....BMAC >>> GIO

There is a reason when teams call the Sox they are asking for Bmac.  I'm sick of all these people who think they have a clue how to evaluate talent and are ready to write off guys that are highly talented simply because they were rushed up to the majors and struggled.

I'll trade Gio, I'd be really hard pressed to trade Brandon and I'd like to think I have a very thorough understanding of the Sox system.

Gio has more pitches. Gio's pitches dance more than BMac. Bmac has a suspect change. Gio is left-handed. You could take BMac and I'll take Gio and I'd be willing to bet my team wins.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 06:01 PM)
Flat out....BMAC >>> GIO

There is a reason when teams call the Sox they are asking for Bmac.  I'm sick of all these people who think they have a clue how to evaluate talent and are ready to write off guys that are highly talented simply because they were rushed up to the majors and struggled.

:notworthy Everyone loves Gio for god knows whatever reason. Don't get me wrong, he's a solid prospect, but he can only hope to be the kind of prospect Brandon is. People see Gio's sweet curve in that draft video and great numbers in Kanny and they think he's the new hotness. Hello! Brandon was better in Winston-Salem than Gio was in Kanny. Brandon led all of the minor in strikeouts and had unreal control and people are saying Gio is the better stuff pitcher and attacks the zone more.

Sorry, this was an off topic post but people need to lay the f*** off Brandon. Any minor league expert would tell you Brandon wasn't ready when he was called up. The Sox didn't have anything better after the 2004 debacle.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:20 PM)
If Billy Wagner proves to be the difference maker in the WS you can bet your last dollar he will NOT be a rent-a-player for the WSox.  He will be here to stay. 

This move can not only solidify the pen for this year's run, but with the most important position players expected back in 2006 it sets us up to win it next year as well.

That's the kind of move you overpay for & make no mistake about it BMac + Marte is overpaying.  But that's the way it works this time of the year.  You acquire Wagner not only to help yourself but to play keep away from others. 

I don't care how electric Burnett's stuff is.  If he's proven to be wild & inconsistent after over 100 starts under his belt there isn't much hope for improvement.

If the Sox win the WS, money won't be a factor. They will keep anyone they feel will make this team likely to repeat the following year. Hell, if they go deep, they will spend a whole lot of coin.

Only guys I see as potentially being gone are Thomas/Everett/Konerko. Unless Thomas comes on really strong later this year he's gone as is Everett. Konerko is interesting. However, if the Sox lose them, they will spend money to fill these spots, imo.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
Flat out....BMAC >>> GIO

Im sure you knew Buerhle was going to be a stud as well. He only got passed up 1110 times. Some well known scouts even missed on him. I would not trade Gio , give me a guy that has 4 above average pitches and a fastball with movement than a guy who has 2 pitches , a good fastball with no movemnet anytime. Its ludicrous to say " I'd like to think I have a very thorough understanding of the Sox system." when 96 percent of minor leaguers dont even make it to the big leagues. If that was the case you can be making allot of cash scouting.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
Gio has more pitches. Gio's pitches dance more than BMac. Bmac has a suspect change. Gio is left-handed. You could take BMac and I'll take Gio and I'd be willing to bet my team wins.

I hate being blunt, but Gio isn't better. Brandon is a special pitcher. He hammers the zone, has great control, and throws a plus curveball and changeup. He hasn't thrown the changeup much this year, but last I looked he's not the one calling the pitches and rookie pitchers aren't entitled to shake off pitches (its shunned upon in baseball).

Gio has a great curveball, everything else is mediocre. He also throws a FB and changeup. The changeup is a solid pitch. But he is nowhere near where Bmac is. Thankfully Kenny seems to understand Brandon is a special kid.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
:notworthy Everyone loves Gio for god knows whatever reason. Don't get me wrong, he's a solid prospect, but he can only hope to be the kind of prospect Brandon is. People see Gio's sweet curve in that draft video and great numbers in Kanny and they think he's the new hotness. Hello! Brandon was better in Winston-Salem than Gio was in Kanny. Brandon led all of the minor in strikeouts and had unreal control and people are saying Gio is the better stuff pitcher and attacks the zone more.

Sorry, this was an off topic post but people need to lay the f*** off Brandon. Any minor league expert would tell you Brandon wasn't ready when he was called up. The Sox didn't have anything better after the 2004 debacle.

:notworthy :cheers