Who is the most underrated player of all time?

White Sox Josh

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 08:27 PM)
I'd say Jeter really is overrated, simply because he has a .313 career average, 1,852 hits, 4 World Series rings, is only 31 and has been called overrated many times, despite all of that.

as for most underrated, Rafael Palmeiro, his numbers are unbelievable, and the way it sounds, he only has a 50/50 chance of making the Hall.

You seem to have them mixed up. I fixed that for you...

Foxx

Raffy if he is 50/50 Frank Thomas is out.

The amazing thing about baseball is that in its history Yankee (or NY in general) players are so grossly overrated it is disgusting.

Yogi Berra v. Mel Ott for instance (not sure about the stats but they are close)

Whitey Ford

Hell even Joe Dimaggio. His hit streak is nice but in the grand scheme of things what did it get him (what was his average during the streak). I'll take 3 2 for 4's and an 0 for 2 over three 1 for 4's and a 2 for 4.

Hank Aaron was probably the greatest (behind Ruth) and you would think he couldn't hold Willie Mays jock with accolades draped on Mays (not saying he wasn't great).

The media overhypes flair, pizzazz (not Piazza) and locale rather than real talent and achievement.

I bet Jorge Posada is more of a HOF lock then Frank Thomas, christ there were stories on if Mattingly should make it. Harold Baines will pass on the balloting like Andre Dawson, too bad he didn't play longer with the cub he (Dawson) would've been a first ballot guy.

With the Trib coverage of Sandberg this week (back page every day) did they do this for Fisk???You would have think he saved 10,000 children in a burning orphanage and then found them all nice warm homes.

Enough of my rant, off to the USA radio poll to post the Trib comments on this, they are precious.

Edited by HSC's Biggest Fan

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:41 AM)
Foxx

The amazing thing about baseball is that in its history Yankee (or NY in general) players are so grossly overrated it is disgusting.

Yogi Berra v. Mel Ott for instance (not sure about the stats but they are close)

Whitey Ford

Hell even Joe Dimaggio.  His hit streak is nice but in the grand scheme of things what did it get him (what was his average during the streak).  I'll take 3 2 for 4's and an 0 for 2 over three 1 for 4's and a 2 for 4. 

Hank Aaron was probably the greatest (behind Ruth) and you would think he couldn't hold Willie Mays jock with accolades draped on Mays (not saying he wasn't great).

The media overhypes flair, pizzazz (not Piazza) and locale rather than real talent and achievement.

I bet Jorge Posada is more of a HOF lock then Frank Thomas, christ there were stories on if Mattingly should make it.  Harold Baines will pass on the balloting like Andre Dawson,  too bad he didn't play longer with the cub he (Dawson) would've been a first ballot guy.

With the Trib coverage of Sandberg this week (back page every day) did they do this for Fisk???You would have think he saved 10,000 children in a burning orphanage and then found them all nice warm homes.

Enough of my rant, off to the USA radio poll to post the Trib comments on this, they are precious.

Harold Baines has more hits than Ted Williams in his career. I know he isn't better than him however he would've had 3,000 hits had he not played in 2 strike years.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
I'd mention Ted Williams. 521 ( I think ) homers and lost 4 years in his prime as a combat pilot fighting for his country.

How can a guy who many many people call The Greatest Hitter Who Ever Lived be underrated?

Was he the Greaterest? The Most Greatest?

:P :D

Half the guys that have been mentioned are true legends. Guys that nearly everyone considers to be one of the greatest players of all time.

I have one for you guys...

Darrell Evans 3b, 1969 - 1989

Match his #s to Tony Perez and you'll see how underrated Evans is.

His 162 game average

.248 avg

.361 obp

.431 slug

25 HRs

82 RBIs

Career OPS+ of 119

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:41 AM)
Foxx

Whitey Ford

Hell even Joe Dimaggio.  His hit streak is nice but in the grand scheme of things what did it get him (what was his average during the streak).  I'll take 3 2 for 4's and an 0 for 2 over three 1 for 4's and a 2 for 4. 

I bet Jorge Posada is more of a HOF lock then Frank Thomas, christ there were stories on if Mattingly should make it.  Harold Baines will pass on the balloting like Andre Dawson,  too bad he didn't play longer with the cub he (Dawson) would've been a first ballot guy.

Berra- 19 seasons

.285 career average, 358 homers, 1430 RBI

Ott- 22 seasons

.304, 511, 1860

I'm not sure what the point of that comparison is though since one was a catcher and the other was an outfielder. And since you brought it up...

DiMaggion- 13 seasons

.325, 361, 1537

Those are pretty impressive numbers considering how relatively few years he played. I'm not sure what you have against Ford either, he has a career ERA of 2.74 and led the entire league in ERA twice. As for Aaron/Mays, I'd say they were pretty similar at the plate. Aaron's numbers were slightly better, but Mays also played most of his career in some horrendous hitter's parks. When you consider that Mays was a slightly better runner and probably the best defensive OF ever, that's why he gets a ton of credit.

In some cases, your team matters (cough, Phil Rizzuto, cough), but most of the time if you were really good you're in the hall. I can only think of a handful of guys that I think belong that aren't in, and several are closers, who seem to be undervalued in the hall.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)

Joe DiMaggio is one of the most insanely talented players in baseball history. 361 homers to 369 strikeouts in his career? One of the greatest defensive outfielders of all time? 56 game hitting streak? The guy was absolutely superb.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
Harold Baines has more hits than Ted Williams in his career. 

lol...

QUOTE(knightni @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
Hmm.. Joe D put up the same #s in 13 yrs that Yogi did in 19.

Yogi, catcher. I doubt Joe D threw out or called anywhere near as many as Yogi. Nice apples to oranges comparison.

Hey...is the love for Raffy still rampant after today's news?

QUOTE(SouthsideNorthsideFan @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 10:23 PM)
lol...

Yogi, catcher.  I doubt Joe D threw out or called anywhere near as many as Yogi.  Nice apples to oranges comparison.

Hey...is the love for Raffy still rampant after today's news?

It was only an observation.

PS, if you were a real Sox fan, you'd hate that avatar of yours as much as I do.

:nono

I think what the Hank/Robinson people are trying to get at is that these people are appreciated for just one thing (Hank for his homers, Robinson for breaking the color barrier) when really there's a lot more they should be remembered for.

We remember them as one-dimensional players, when, in reality, they were anything but.