Twins or A's?

VAfan

The A's finished the night only 1/2 game behind the pitcherless Yankees for the wild card, and 1-1/2 games behind the Twins. In a week, they've blown by Texas, Cleveland, and Baltimore for the last postseason slot, and now only trail two teams. I expect them to pass both before the first week of August is out.

The only question in my mind is whether the A's will catch the Angels. I think it is possible, but the Angels play them tough.

Otherwise, I think we can expect a round 1 matchup against our hated West Coast nemesis.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
if the a's win the wildcard,i'm going to cry, seriously

Every sox fan will but then again, remember when the Twins played the A's in 02 I think it was and the A's had completely owned them in the regular season, only to have the Twins kick their ass in the post. If we do face the A's in the post I hope we do the same.

Think about it, if we face them and kick their ass, it would make the post much more special. Just the thought of facing them though is kinda of like saying go home sox.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
How about accepting reality.... Even Twins fans now are starting to give up their hope of taking the division.

How many games up are we? How many more games do we have with the Twins? What is the magic number?

Take these 3 qustions into consideration....it aint over till its OVER.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
How many games up are we? How many more games do we have with the Twins? What is the magic number?

This is true. However, I don't see any harm in some of us assuming its over and looking beyond. If the unforseen happens and the Sox lose it, its those fan's problem.

I say that as long as the team doesn't assume its over, the fans can think as they wish.

SFF

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
This is true.  However, I don't see any harm in some of us assuming its over and looking beyond.  If the unforseen happens and the Sox lose it, its those fan's problem.

I say that as long as the team doesn't assume its over, the fans can think as they wish.

SFF

Im too supersticious for that s***. I would beat the hell outta myself if that happened. Pics included.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 07:27 PM)
This is true.  However, I don't see any harm in some of us assuming its over and looking beyond.  If the unforseen happens and the Sox lose it, its those fan's problem.

SFF

Exactly if Jerry Manuel was our manager I wouldnt say its over, but Ozzie wont let these guys slack off and the players will play hard till the end. But as a fan we can pretty much assume its over unless like Buehrle and Garland both suffer season ending injuries and we callup Adkins and B-Mac to fill in and than Duque suffers another injury and we bring up Diaz as well.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)

It ain't over and I see where your coming from but the Twins would have to kick major ass to win this division. They have an unconsistent Lohse and Santana and Radke aren't exactly dominating. You can count Mays in the inconsistent catagorey too. Their bullpen isn't as great as the past few years and their offense isn't anything close to consistent either. Not saying it can't be done but a lot has to go right for them to win it.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
Im too supersticious for that s***. I would beat the hell outta myself if that happened. Pics included.

When compared to the Cubs, didn't Ozzie say something to the effect that the Sox don't need superstitions to explain their fate because the explanation was simply that they had some horses*** teams in the past. Haha, I love it. I do understand your feelings though!

SFF

If the A's don't win the West outright, they are odds on to win the WC.

But some writer on ESPN made a good point. With their young starters, they are likely to start hurting in September as their innings push past 150. And yet Rich Harden, their best starter, has gone only 13 games and only 3 starters, including Zito, are above 100 innings.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
How about we worry about winning the division first?

we're 11.5 games up right now, and the Twins probably won't be able to get hot enough to catch the Sox. If the Sox were to somehow magically lose the division by completely collapsing and playing .400 baseball the rest of the way, the Twins would still have their work cut out for them in trying to win the division.

The Sox have all but won the division.

Talking about a potential first round matchup, on the other hand, is a little far-fetched. If the Sox were to say end up with 95 wins, winning the division by say 5 games over Minnesota, and Minny wins the Wild Card, while the Angels win 97, the Sox are playing someone in the East.

In all likelyhood, the Sox are going to play the WC winner...but nothing is set in stone when it comes to that type of thing just yet.

To get back to the topic at hand...Rowand and I have a friendly bet...so I have to stick with the A's. The offense is clicking, the rotation is very solid 1-5, and the bullpen is pitching together as a unit. They could make some minor tweaks if necessary, but I'm not sure those are necessary. They are probably the favorites to win the Wild Card right now.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
To get back to the topic at hand...Rowand and I have a friendly bet...so I have to stick with the A's.  The offense is clicking, the rotation is very solid 1-5, and the bullpen is pitching together as a unit.  They could make some minor tweaks if necessary, but I'm not sure those are necessary.  They are probably the favorites to win the Wild Card right now.

:sleep

:P