Kerry Wood

southsideirish

How bad would that be? Is this something that would be career threatening like Mike Sirotka's torn labrum? I don't know that much about it to know how serious this would be.

I should be more specific here and say that this is not for sure. He may or may not have a torn labrum, that has not been confirmed but is being reported by some.

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce Levine was saying that its more of a muscle problem in the shoulder, something similar to what happened to Matt morris in the off-season.

The interesting thing to me would have to be seeing Kerry Wood exist without his 95+MPH fastball and plus curveball, because he just cannot do it anymore. Morris had to completely start over, he had to change his pitching philosophy. Would Kerry Wood be able to beat teams without overpowering them?

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
LOL, no. He can't even figure out how to pitch with 100% of his stuff.

He is a thrower, not a pitcher. The guy is flat out living on his rep after one unbelieveable game. He is worthless, and will continue to be so.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
He is a thrower, not a pitcher.  The guy is flat out living on his rep after one unbelieveable game.  He is worthless, and will continue to be so.

I disagree that he is worthless, but right now he is not useful. When the Cubs throw him out to work him hard, he falls apart not just for a month, but for 2 seasons.

He is not worthless in the sense that Randy Johnson was not worthless after the 92 season, when he had a career record of 56-61. At that point, someone got through to him (Ryan?) and helped turn him into a pitcher. Since then, he's gone 200-73.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:20 PM)
I disagree that he is worthless, but right now he is not useful.  When the Cubs throw him out to work him hard, he falls apart not just for a month, but for 2 seasons.

He is not worthless in the sense that Randy Johnson was not worthless after the 92 season, when he had a career record of 56-61.  At that point, someone got through to him (Ryan?) and helped turn him into a pitcher.  Since then, he's gone 200-73.

Did Randy Johnson ever have arm trouble? Its one thing to be in the majors for a while trying to figure everything out, but its a completely different thing to be in the majors trying to get healthy all the time. I would have to think that Johnson would fall in the former category and Wood would fall into the latter category, but thats just me.

If he does have a torn labrum, his career is done. I tore my labrum last summer and I'm still not healed. The good thing for Wood is that the injury isn't painful in your everyday life, you just can't throw a baseball the same way. He might try to come back, but his velocity will suck and he will never be the same. Scott Rolen is suffering from the same injury, but his muscle wasn't torn completely and it was in his non-throwing shoulder so only his batting has been affected, but he is still back on the DL.