Discovery counting down again

Balta1701

Man, not only does it seem that the computer somehow double-posted this one, it seems to have lost all of my text. Blasted technology.

"Since it's a new countdown, here's a new thread. The Shuttle Discovery is counting down once again to fire itself into orbit of the Earth, sometime tomorrow morning if weather cooperates. Here's the link from NASA.

NASA Go for Return to Flight Launch Attempt Tuesday

NASA gave the green light for a launch attempt Tuesday for Space Shuttle Discovery on its Return to Flight mission (STS-114). Launch is scheduled for 10:39 a.m. EDT, and it will be carried live on NASA TV.

Senior NASA managers met Sunday at Kennedy Space Center for a launch readiness meeting. Discussions focused on recent problems related to a liquid hydrogen low-level fuel sensor inside the external fuel tank, which prompted postponement of the Shuttle’s launch on July 13. Since then, engineers have been working around-the-clock on troubleshooting the sensor system issue.

During the countdown, managers will monitor for recurrence of the problem. If any new sensor-related issues occur, engineers would stop the countdown to reassess the situation.

During their 12-day mission to the International Space Station, Commander Eileen Collins and her six fellow astronauts will test new techniques and equipment designed to make Space Shuttles safer. They also will deliver supplies and make repairs to the Space Station.

NASA TV is carried by MPEG-2 digital signal accessed via satellite AMC-6, at 72 degrees west longitude, transponder 17C, 4040 MHz, vertical polarization. It’s available in Alaska and Hawaii in analog through Return to Flight on AMC-7, at 137 degrees west longitude, Transponder 18, at 4060 MHz, vertical polarization, audio at 6.8 MHz. A digital video broadcast compliant integrated receiver decoder is required for reception. NASA TV is also available on the Internet at:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

For the latest about the STS-114 mission, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/returntoflight

"

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 08:41 AM)
And of course I have a stupid freaking meeting at 9.  Hopefully it will be a quicky and I can watch the launch online.

:pray for the astronauts to be safe and for their families.

I just saw on CNBC that they are going to try to launch at 9:39 so they must have another halt built in, or I read the screen wrong. :bang

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)
My wife and kids are out at the beach for the launch. :usa  :usa :usa

I'm stuck at work having to watch online.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

My sister went to our aunt & uncle's house in Melbourne.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 08:57 AM)
My sister went to our aunt & uncle's house in Melbourne.

That's the place I call home. Not at your aunt and uncle's :D , Melbourne rather. Though technically with our move a few months back I'm now a resident of Palm Bay.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)
That's the place I call home.  Not at your aunt and uncle's :D , Melbourne rather. Though technically with our move a few months back I'm now a resident of Palm Bay.

Cool. My grama lives there also. Right down the street from the Cracker Barrell off the expressway.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
Cool. My grama lives there also. Right down the street from the Cracker Barrell off the expressway.

Right by Space Coast Stadium...? Cool. I took my family up there for a Manatees/Lakeland Tigers game just last night. Gorgeous, breezy night. I'm worried that as they build up all the open pasture land around te stadium that it's not going to have those wonderful cool night breezes after sunset like you can almost always count on now.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
Right by Space Coast Stadium...?  Cool.  I took my family up there for a Manatees/Lakeland Tigers game just last night.  Gorgeous, breezy night.  I'm worried that as they build up all the open pasture land around te stadium that it's not going to have those wonderful cool night breezes after sunset like you can almost always count on now.

They are worried also. But since my aunt and uncle both still work at the cape, and my grampa was retired from the force they could move closer to the cape and not have to deal with the growth for a while longer. But my grama doesn't want to move any closer to the ocean.