So, is AJ coming to the White Sox?

Tadahito Iguchi

I'd say read the thread. But basically, it's probably dead. Apparently the White Sox offered him a 3 year 30 million dollar deal and we haven't heard anything since(that was at 5pm). Bruce Levine said one day it looks good, the next you don't know what to think.

I basically gave up hope at around 12 this morning, but whatever.

If I'm Burnett, I'm settling for no les than four years. If I'm the Sox, I don't give it to him. I think a no four year policy for pitchers is too cautious when it comes to guys like Buehrle (and Garland in a year and a half from now) but its a good policy when dealing with the Burnetts and Woods of the world.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:26 PM)
If I'm Burnett, I'm settling for no les than four years. If I'm the Sox, I don't give it to him. I think a no four year policy for pitchers is too cautious when it comes to guys like Buehrle (and Garland in a year and a half from now) but its a good policy when dealing with the Burnetts and Woods of the world.

for some reason there is a myth out there that says that the Sox have to sign him to an extension if he is traded. They don't. even if he doesn't sign right away here the sox are fine because it is similar to the garcia situation in that apparently burnett is friends with Ozzie. He was his coach in florida.

The Sox and Marlins are still enough apart for there to be no negotation window between Burnett and the Sox. Levine reported the Sox would be willing to offer AJ 30 million.

However, before they can set aside a window for his agent, the Sox and Marlins would have to get closer on a deal. The major holdup is the Marlins would like a veteran starter in return and may have to swing another deal (to get that veteran) prior to (or after) picking up Brandon/Marte.

There has also been some talk of Lowell potentially coming.

Basically put, there is definately some smoke to this, but nothing imminent.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
The Sox and Marlins are still enough apart for there to be no negotation window between Burnett and the Sox.  Levine reported the Sox would be willing to offer AJ 30 million.

However, before they can set aside a window for his agent, the Sox and Marlins would have to get closer on a deal.  The major holdup is the Marlins would like a veteran starter in return and may have to swing another deal (to get that veteran) prior to (or after) picking up Brandon/Marte. 

could the Sox spin lowell of to another team for some prospects if they get him. What other team needs a 3rd baseman? :huh

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 05:39 PM)
could the Sox spin lowell of to another team for some prospects if they get him.  What other team needs a 3rd baseman? :huh

Dodgers or Angels could use one. However, I don't see the Sox spinning off Lowell to a team like the Angels. They sure as hell aren't going to help a team in playoff contention unless they got something that would help them in return.

I think the Sox plan on using Lowell as depth. He can be a part time DH, play a little LF, and play 3rd (to fill in for Crede). Plus after this year he'd replace one of Frank/Paulie.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:43 PM)
I wouldn't trade Mac for a rental. Schmidt would be different since you get at least one more full year but I wouldn't do it for three months of a player unless he were one of the games greatest pitchers, not merely a pretty good one with great stuff.

Exactly how I feel.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 07:36 PM)
The Sox and Marlins are still enough apart for there to be no negotation window between Burnett and the Sox.  Levine reported the Sox would be willing to offer AJ 30 million.

However, before they can set aside a window for his agent, the Sox and Marlins would have to get closer on a deal.  The major holdup is the Marlins would like a veteran starter in return and may have to swing another deal (to get that veteran) prior to (or after) picking up Brandon/Marte. 

I figure that they will go after Redmond after they trade Burnett. Its a total marlins move.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
Dodgers or Angels could use one.  However, I don't see the Sox spinning off Lowell to a team like the Angels.  They sure as hell aren't going to help a team in playoff contention unless they got something that would help them in return.

I think the Sox plan on using Lowell as depth.  He can be a part time DH, play a little LF, and play 3rd (to fill in for Crede).  Plus after this year he'd replace one of Frank/Paulie.

What if we traded for Burnett/Lowell, spun off Burnett for Wagner, and then spun off Lowell for Odalis Perez?

Not gonna happen, but it makes some sense and it would be very nice.

Question, why would the White Sox be talking contract with AJ Burnett's agent?

Seems to me unless a deal has been basically agreed upon, they wouldn't be given permission to talk to the agent.

My take is, if the Sox can get Burnett to agree to an extension, the deal is already on the table.

If they can't, all bets are off.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:31 PM)
for some reason there is a myth out there that says that the Sox have to sign him to an extension if he is traded.  They don't.  even if he doesn't sign right away here the sox are fine because it is similar to the garcia situation in that apparently burnett is friends with Ozzie.  He was his coach in florida.

I don't recall anyone saying that about an extension. I believe people are concerned that they don't want a rent-a-player for a steady lefty arm and the team's top prospect unless they can secure Burnett for the next three or so years.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 01:31 AM)
for some reason there is a myth out there that says that the Sox have to sign him to an extension if he is traded.  They don't.  even if he doesn't sign right away here the sox are fine because it is similar to the garcia situation in that apparently burnett is friends with Ozzie.  He was his coach in florida.

The relationship that Garcia and Ozzie has was that they were basically family. AJB and Ozzie are friends.....but it's a whole different situation. It's been known for a while that AJB wanted to play on the east coast (Boston was always the team he wanted to get traded to). I personally don't think there's a chance in hell AJB would resign here.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:08 PM)
The relationship that Garcia and Ozzie has was that they were basically family.  AJB and Ozzie are friends.....but it's a whole different situation.  It's been known for a while that AJB wanted to play on the east coast (Boston was always the team he wanted to get traded to).  I personally don't think there's a chance in hell AJB would resign here.

Chicago is a hell of a city. What if we win it all? Then we can spend a lot and he should want to stay.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
Redmond?  The catcher...?  Or do you mean Mark Redman, the pitcher?

Mark Redman the pitcher. I read that the Marlins want to get rid of Lowell and Burnett and then they would make a deal for Redman.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
Chicago is a hell of a city. What if we win it all? Then we can spend a lot and he should want to stay.

Exactly why I don't get why he wouldn't want to come here. Chicago is a dream city(according to some magazine). He just wants the most money. I don't see him signing an extension with anyone until after the season. He wants to milk the market. In that case, I say f*** him.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
Exactly why I don't get why he wouldn't want to come here. Chicago is a dream city(according to some magazine). He just wants the most money. I don't see him signing an extension with anyone until after the season. He wants to milk the market. In that case, I say f*** him.

With the way Contreras and Duque pitched lately, i gotta agree. If he wants the money so badly he can join his buddy Pavano in NY. BUT i'd still like to have him here. :P

BTW has anyone mentioned Odalis Perez or Jeff Weaver and are they available?

Edited by Ozzie Montana

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 03:25 AM)

This is my opinion of AJB's thinking: If the average payroll team of the White Sox (with 3 above average starting pitchers) are willing to give me 3/30, how much would a team with a high payroll give me like the Yanks, Red Sox, or Dodgers?

Guys, the Sox haven't yet offered AJ anything. Any reports on that are a little early. It isn't that close yet, however, I do think the Sox are willing to offer somewhere around the reported 3yr 30 mill and obviously want to get something done.

Before that happens they got to get closer to working out the deal with the Marlins.