Brazilian shot 7 times in the head in Britain

KipWellsFan

_41336581_victim203.jpg

Witnesses said Menezes was wearing a heavy, padded coat when plainclothes police chased him into a subway car, pinned him to the ground and shot him dead.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/07/...l.ap/index.html

I sure hope he wasn't just running to catch his train, which I heard some witnesses thought he was doing. Coulnd't find a link for that info though.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 07:20 PM)
_41336581_victim203.jpg

I sure hope he wasn't just running to catch his train, which I heard some witnesses thought he was doing.  Coulnd't find a link for that info though.

I thought it was only 5 times? What makes someone so f***ing stupid to wear a big heavy coat in the middle of summer when the police are worried about assholes wearing suicide vests? What makes the same idiot even doubly stupid as to bolt from the coppers when they tell him to stop?

Some people.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 07:33 PM)
I thought it was only 5 times?  What makes someone so f***ing stupid to wear a big heavy coat in the middle of summer when the police are worried about assholes wearing suicide vests? 

First of all, he's Brazilian. What sort of temperatures would you expect him to be adapted to in his home country?

Secondly, I believe that the weather that day was something like 70 degrees. Not exactly blaring hot...especially when you're from Brazil.

I can't say that the police made a mistake in terms of taking no chances with a guy running away from them under the circumstances. But let's at keast realize that it's not illegal to wear a heavy coat.

And I don't know how many times he was shot. I've read 5, 7, and 8. I think 8 will end up being the final #.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)
First of all, he's Brazilian.  What sort of temperatures would you expect him to be adapted to in his home country? 

Secondly, I believe that the weather that day was something like 70 degrees.  Not exactly blaring hot...especially when you're from Brazil.

I can't say that the police made a mistake in terms of taking no chances with a guy running away from them under the circumstances.  But let's at keast realize that it's not illegal to wear a heavy coat.

And I don't know how many times he was shot. I've read 5, 7, and 8.  I think 8 will end up being the final #.

I'm just saying that someone who wears a heavy jacket like that invites mondo scrutiny from the police because that's one of the tells that they're trained to look for when it comes to suicide bombers.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 04:42 AM)
I'm just saying that someone who wears a heavy jacket like that invites mondo scrutiny from the police because that's one of the tells that they're trained to look for when it comes to suicide bombers.

So if I go to Britain and i wear a heavy coat i should be in danger of being shot in the head by the police.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
So if I go to Britain and i wear a heavy coat i should be in danger of being shot in the head by the police.

No but you certainly could expect to be questioned in any country when you wear a heavy jacket in the middle of summer.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:20 PM)
_41336581_victim203.jpg

I sure hope he wasn't just running to catch his train, which I heard some witnesses thought he was doing.  Coulnd't find a link for that info though.

Put yourself in the mindset of the British police and tell me how you handle the situation. You have had one day with 4 bombings killing over 50 people two weeks before, then yesterday you had 3 people try to blow themselves up and fail, plus you know there was probably a fifth bomber who chickened out and left his bomb... Now you see a guy in the middle of summer in a winter coat (even if it was just 70 degrees, a little strange) you know that there are still suspects at large from the other bombings who are trying to blow themselves up when you spot this guy. You ask him to stop and he flees into the subway and onto the train. You know that even when you have caught him, all it takes it one push of a button to detonate you and the all of the people surrounding you, so having him pinned to the ground doesn't matter... Now do you give him the chance in the heat of the moment? Do you allow this guy to kill you and dozens of more people? Remember you don't have time to ask his name, check his ID, look in his coat etc. All you know is that he isn't British, he could be wearing a bomb, and he is running for the train.

Are you willing to take the chance that he is a Brazilian who doesn't speak English and simply didn't understand you? Are you willing to sacrifice more innocents because you think he might just be scared and late for his train? Are you willing to bring more mockery of your police department because you were afraid to act decisively?

Its easy to sit thousands of miles away and pass judgement on an officer for making a snap judgement. Its a lot harder to understand the situation and get into his head.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 12:13 AM)
No but you certainly could expect to be questioned in any country when you wear a heavy jacket in the middle of summer.

Or if you go to Brazil and sweat when it's only 95 degrees.

The free world is winning the war on terror when there is an open season on people wearing coats.

God forbid you should be wearing a heavy jacket in the Dallas airport in January when it's 70 degrees here and -10 where you are flying to. :lolhitting people screaming, police running, look he's wearing a jacket!, he's a terrorist.

Remember, guilty until proven innocent. There are suicide bombers everywhere.

More people will die today from alchohol and tobacco related disease. We don't ban those, but live in fear that someone wearing a jacket is a bomber. :headshake We're winning!

In a nutshell,

yes, a heavy coat should draw suspicion,

no, you should never run from the cops, ever

and last, 5 slugs to the dome is kind of... uh excessive...espeically if the guy was pinned down. If you gotten that close to him, you've already risked getting blown to s***.