Tribune Article

rangercal

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 08:15 AM)
its a tough call, the last few weeks ive been saying schmidt over burnett, but i think burnett may be pulling closer. a better question is omar vs. lowell. considering our style of play and the money, i think vizquel is a better option. the only people i have ever seen that have softer hands than omar are ozzie smith and marvin harrison.

i feel like burnetts stock can only get worse than what it is now, and i feel that schmidts will only go up. so i would tend to buy low and go with schmidt and vizquel.

I prefer Schmidt and Vizquel for this year as well. However, this might be our only chance to acquire a power pitcher at a fairly young age of 28. The vision of our starting pitching lineup - Buerhle, Burnett, Garland, Garcia - together for a few years is just making me drool.

Schmidt looked great last night. Got in a few jams and pitched his way out with his changeup dropping for strikes. I have always liked him, and I think he would really help in a stretch run. I still think AJB will have the bigger upside, but Vizquel may be a large missing piece for this team. Uribe can then spell crede as well, and we got deeper in a heartbeat.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:53 AM)
Schmidt looked great last night.  Got in a few jams and pitched his way out with his changeup dropping for strikes.  I have always liked him, and I think he would really help in a stretch run.  I still think AJB will have the bigger upside, but Vizquel may be a large missing piece for this team.  Uribe can then spell crede as well, and we got deeper in a heartbeat.

I was flipping channels last night at work and went past Comcast. Saw Schmidt pitching for the Giants...

I stopped and watched Schmidt go into his windup, throw the pitch...

WHAM!

Michael Barrett hits it onto Waveland.

I changed the channel.

QUOTE(S720 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:34 AM)
I prefer Schmidt and Vizquel for this year as well.  However, this might be our only chance to acquire a power pitcher at a fairly young age of 28.  The vision of our starting pitching lineup - Buerhle, Burnett, Garland, Garcia - together for a few years is just making me drool.

yeah that would be solid, but the fact of the matter is that schmidt probably wont sign with us if we trade for him. in which case i also prefer schmidt cuz he has next year too. the only way burnett would sign here is if it was a 4 year 11 mil type deal, and KW proved this offseason that big contracts that take up a large amoutn of the payroll jsut arent a good idea. tho...i will say if we are gonna invest id rather invest big in pitching even tho there is a greater injury concern, esp in burnetts case

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 08:55 AM)
I was flipping channels last night at work and went past Comcast. Saw Schmidt pitching for the Giants...

I stopped and watched Schmidt go into his windup, throw the pitch...

WHAM!

Michael Barrett hits it onto Waveland.

I changed the channel.

So you saw the ONE run he gave up, would you like a cookie?

:booty