Alex Smith Finally Signed

I dont think he'll be worth the money. Check this out:

Smith's deal, according to the lawyer, is expected to average $8.25 million compared to about $7.5 million for Manning.

Its amazing how the price for first round picks go up every year.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
Alex Smith was way overated... while the overall draft wasnt that bad in terms of the 1st overall pick there wasnt really any good one in this draft.

Exactly, 49ers were desperate to trade down , no-one took the bait. A team like the Cowboys who had 2 1st rounders at 11 and 20 were in perfect position.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 12:00 AM)
Rex Grossman's Career > Alex Smith's Career

but im biased

:lol: :lol: :lol: :chair

Oh, come now. There is not a snowball's chance in hell that statement will ever be correct.

To answer Krush's question, Smith proved to be the #1 selection for a reason. Although if Leinart stayed in the draft, he would have been the consensus #1 selection, Smith had some great combines and was always known to be one of the smartest players in the draft. I mean, not only does the guy have book smarts, but he lives in the taperoom and is always working to improve himself. He's the perfect guy for the 49ers franchise and I think they'll be very happy with their man.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:06 AM)
How do you know

Geesh. I know Grossman is the hometown boy, but Smith is one of the most polished players to come out of the draft within past 5-8 years...especially at the quarterback position.

Accuracy: Advantage Smith

Arm: Scratch

Leadership: Advantage Smith

Football Intelligence: Advantage Smith

Ability to Move In/Out of the Pocket: BIG Advantage Smith

...I mean, I could go on and on, but let's just watch things play out.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
Geesh.  I know Grossman is the hometown boy, but Smith is one of the most polished players to come out of the draft within past 5-8 years...especially at the quarterback position.

Alright I mean, thats kinda tough to say Smith will be better without playing a single game. We will see how it plays out, kinda early to tell IMO.

I read at least one place that said that JP Losman, who the Bills grabbed with the 20th pick in 04, would probably have been a #1 pick if he was in the 05 draft as a QB.

Smith was probably the best pick for the 9ers at #1, but they really did pick the wrong year to have a terrible season. Smith isn't a guy who you can point at and think "This guy will turn around my franchise completely", at least not yet. Some guys turn out better than expected (Drew Brees), some guys turn out worse than expected (See: the last 15 or so drafts by the Bears). You can't always tell, that's a given, but Smith just seems like he's starting a step below some other recent guys like Palmer or Manning.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
Geesh.  I know Grossman is the hometown boy, but Smith is one of the most polished players to come out of the draft within past 5-8 years...especially at the quarterback position.

Semi-serious question. How does one measure leadership?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Semi-serious question.  How does one measure leadership?

Well, when Grossman was hitting the bong down in Gainsville, Smith was in the taperoom studying film or getting a 3.8+ GPA and graduating in three years' time.

That's a start.

Its silly to equate grades with leadership.

Not every 4.0 student is Napolean, and not every non-academic can not lead.

The only way to measure leadership is to look at performance. Good leaders generally do more with less, where as bad leaders generally do less with more.

SB

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
Its silly to equate grades with leadership.

Not every 4.0 student is Napolean, and not every non-academic can not lead.

The only way to measure leadership is to look at performance. Good leaders generally do more with less, where as bad leaders generally do less with more.

SB

Then, Smith would still come out on top. Smith took a team with considerably less talent to a BCS bowl. Don't even bother bringing coaches up because Meyer and Spurrier are a scratch.

We're not in the hudles, but from all I've read, Smith's on-field and off-field intangibles were second to none.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
Then, Smith would still come out on top.  Smith took a team with considerably less talent to a BCS bowl.  Don't even bother bringing coaches up because Meyer and Spurrier are a scratch.

We're not in the hudles, but from all I've read, Smith's on-field and off-field intangibles were second to none.

Idonno Grossman had to go through so many coaches in such a short period of time thats got to help his knowledge of the game learning from so many people. Even if someone isnt a great football coach players can still learn a great deal from them.