Paul Ladewski Column

DBAHO

Ok here we go;

So what will it be, White Sox? Are you content to be first-half champions? Or do you plan to stick around for the big enchilada?

The first four months of the season have been as good as a baseball season gets on the South Side. The best record in baseball. Twenty-five guys who play as a team and are easy to like. A human live wire of a manager who has given the franchise an edge, even if he has Martin Lawrenced a few ears along the way.

Yet the question remains, are the Sox good enough to advance to the World Series for the first time in 46 years? As of this second, maybe they are. The problem is, the answer may be different next week, by which time the Boston Red Sox and the Los Anaheim Angels and the New York Yankee$ almost certainly will have made monster moves to beat the Sunday deadline.

Now you know why Sox general manager-miracle worker Ken Williams has to be his usual aggressive self in the next six days.

More to the point, why team investors have to ante up enough money for Williams to make the necessary moves.

For instance, like acquire outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. and reliever Billy Wagner, the two players who can put the Sox over the top and send a message that the organization really is serious about this World Series thing.

Here's another reason why the Sox should seriously consider Griffey and Wagner: If they don't grab them, then chances are the Red Sox and Yankee$ will.

The Red Sox are desperate for a proven closer and are known to have Wagner on their minds. Hey, after Timo Perez took converted starter Curt Schilling to the warning track in the ninth inning the other night, wouldn't you be? The Yankees have a hole so big in center field that they may ask Bobby Murcer to come out of retirement. But if the Sox get to Griffey and Wagner first, they take them away from the two teams they may very well meet in the playoffs.

The Sox should be able to acquire Griffey from the Cincinnati Reds and not upset their current nucleus much if at all. An offer of kid outfielder Brian Anderson or pitcher Brandon McCarthy and the choice of three veterans such as pitchers Jose Contreras or Damaso Marte or outfielder Aaron Rowand would probably be enough to pull it off.

True, McCarthy and Anderson are considered to be the top two prospects in a minor-league system that ranks in the bottom third by most accounts. But if the Sox are deep at any position, it's the outfield, which makes Anderson or Rowand expendable at this time.

Would Griffey be a bit of a dice roll? Have Sox fans suffered long enough? The guy is 35 years old and has a recent history of medical problems that limited him the previous three seasons. Griffey also has three years left on a nine-year, $116.5 million deal — nearly half the money is deferred through 2024 — that includes an option for the 2009 season.

Yet the pluses to a Griffey deal far outweigh the minuses. Face it, if the Sox have had an obvious need the last few years, then it's for an established left-handed power hitter such as Griffey, who has caught his second wind this season. At his current pace, Junior would lead the Sox in RBI (106) and on-base percentage and rank second in home runs (34) and batting average (.287).

Think Sox Nation could live with a healthy Frank Thomas, Griffey and Paul Konerko in the three-through-five spots in the order?

What's more, Griffey has plenty of postseason experience, another area in which the Sox come up short at the moment. Give Junior something to play for again and he very well may elevate his game to another level.

As for the bottom line, the Reds would have to pick up a substantial chunk of his contract in any deal. But so intent are they to get on with their rebuilding project, team management reportedly is prepared to just do it. Besides, the Sox expect to draw nearly 2.3 million fans at the gate this season, so they will have some leftover change, right?

The Sox need Wagner even more.

It's hard not to like what Dustin Hermanson has done in the closer role thus far. Yet the fact remains that he has an achy back and limited experience as a finisher. Will Hermanson be a sure thing the way the Angels' Francisco Rodriguez and the Yankees' Mariano Rivera figure to be in the playoffs, when a team cannot afford to blow even one game? Or does a team that plays as many close games as the Sox do need a more established guy to nail down the final three outs?

Enter the 34-year-old Wagner and his upper-90s heat.

Word is the Sox are one of the teams in the hunt for Florida Marlins starter A.J. Burnett, but I wonder if he's the one they really want. Burnett will become a free agent after the season and has indicated he wants something along the lines of a four-year, $40 million deal, which means he is likely to be a three-month rental here.

What has Burnett accomplished to merit that kind of dough, anyway? He has a 44-44 career record, not to mention a history of health problems. In six-plus seasons, Burnett has never won more than 12 games and only once pitched more than 200 innings in a season. Sounds like Kerry Wood Jr. to me.

The Philadelphia Phillies covet Burnett and can afford to meet his price, except that the Marlins are reluctant to deal him to a division rival. Fine. Why not trade for Burnett then pass him on to the Phillies in return for Wagner? If you think Hermanson, Neal Cotts and Cliff Politte are good now, imagine what the bullpen would be like with Wagner to seal the deal.

Better yet, Wagner becomes a free agent after the season. Which means the Sox would be liable for only a portion of his $9 million salary. Even if Wagner (current ERA: 2.09) turned out to be a three-month rental, he would be worth it.

So forget Next Year. And the one after that. And the one after that. There may never be a better time for Next Year to arrive on the South Side than right now.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on the money, it would only take one player to get Griffey. They nearly took Nevin 2 years ago and they would take only Rowand today. If you want them to pay more of his contract (which they seem against doing) then you might start talking about more prospects but I think he's off on this.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
No way I would give up A-row to get Griffey.  No way in hell.

i would have to at least consider that. i love rowand, but salary aside he is not as good as griffey.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
i would have to at least consider that. i love rowand, but salary aside he is not as good as griffey.

I think he is better defensively, I dont care what Griffey was, A-row picks up his teammates and has been gold glove caliber this year. And he is the man in the clubhouse and is a work-a-holic, which is the opposite of Griffey who is known to be lazy. No thanks

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 12:54 AM)
I think he is better defensively, I dont care what Griffey was, A-row picks up his teammates and has been gold glove caliber this year.  And he is the man in the clubhouse and is a work-a-holic, which is the opposite of Griffey who is known to be lazy.  No thanks

Does Rowand's defensive capabilities and good clubhouse ethic outweigh Griffey's LHB however? Contract wise, puts the edge in Rowand's corner in my mind.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 08:54 AM)
I think he is better defensively, I dont care what Griffey was, A-row picks up his teammates and has been gold glove caliber this year.  And he is the man in the clubhouse and is a work-a-holic, which is the opposite of Griffey who is known to be lazy.  No thanks

I dont understand the Griffey for Arow move. Arow is batting close to 300. Why would you take one of our consistant bats out of the lineup. Griffey would be more of a DH for us anyways. The only one I could see him replacing is Everett.

I would rather get Vizquel and spend the rest on pitching.

Our guys should start working towards what Arow and Pods are doing. Getting closer to 300.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)

i have a problem when people say stuff like "is known to be lazy." i have heard that, but i've also heard people say he works his ass off. the lazy stuff came from people theorizing that a poor-offseason work ethic was the reason for his hamstring problems. that was a theory, though, not a fact.

i totally disagree with the clubhouse thing. i know people who work in the clubhouse and they have all said he's one of the best teammates to have. he doesn't get along that well with the media, so perhaps that's where that perception came from.

I wouldn't deal Aaron for Griffey. I'd deal Jermaine Dye for Griffey though and worse case move Rowand to RF (although Rowand is a better CF than Griffey).

Still, long term, Griff is best suited more so as a DH who can ocassionally play in the field, imo (just smarter considering his injury background).

Again, another situation where Kenny is really in the catbird's seat.

If he plays his cards right, he may wait...and wait...and wait...and wait until he finds the Reds in a very desperate condition, wanting to rid themselves of Griffey in a major way.

Now, if I was the Reds, there is no way I'm trading Griffey at the deadline unless I'm blown away. The guy remains the only draw in Cincy, he seems to be getting things back on track and...if for no other reason, he's Ken Fricking Griffey.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:08 AM)
Again, another situation where Kenny is really in the catbird's seat.

If he plays his cards right, he may wait...and wait...and wait...and wait until he finds the Reds in a very desperate condition, wanting to rid themselves of Griffey in a major way.

Now, if I was the Reds, there is no way I'm trading Griffey at the deadline unless I'm blown away.  The guy remains the only draw in Cincy, he seems to be getting things back on track and...if for no other reason, he's Ken Fricking Griffey.

If you're Dan O' Brien do you trade Adam Dunn before Ken Griffey Jr.?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)
If you're Dan O' Brien do you trade Adam Dunn before Ken Griffey Jr.?

Heck yes, for two main reasons.

1) I believe Dunn will net a lot more via trade at this point in his career...his stock is awfull high right now at 25 or 26 years of age.

2) GRIFFEY IS THE ONLY DRAW IN CINCY

Like I've said before, I'd have to be blown off my feet to trade Griffey right now despite the albatrose of a contract. You see what I'm getting at?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:13 AM)
Heck yes, for two main reasons.

1) I believe Dunn will net a lot more via trade at this point in his career...his stock is awfull high right now at 25 or 26 years of age.

2) GRIFFEY IS THE ONLY DRAW IN CINCY

Like I've said before, I'd have to be blown off my feet to trade Griffey right now despite the albatrose of a contract.  You see what I'm getting at?

I'd deal them both, cause quite frankly, Griffey may be the only draw, but he still costs them more than he brings in, imo.

They need to get from out of his contract. If I were to deal Dunn, I'd hurt his trade value a bit, but I'd try and tie Eric Milton to him.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:15 AM)
I'd deal them both, cause quite frankly, Griffey may be the only draw, but he still costs them more than he brings in, imo. 

They need to get from out of his contract.  If I were to deal Dunn, I'd hurt his trade value a bit, but I'd try and tie Eric Milton to him.

Yes, two excellent points.

I guess, at some point, you have to ask yourself if Griffey is costing you more than the scratch he is bringing in through the turnstiles.

As for Dunn + Milton, you would undoubtedly hurt Dunn's value package, but you would get out from under a NASTY contract in the meantime for a very, very underwhelming player in Eric Milton.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:16 AM)
Yes, two excellent points.

I guess, at some point, you have to ask yourself if Griffey is costing you more than the scratch he is bringing in through the turnstiles.

As for Dunn + Milton, you would undoubtedly hurt Dunn's value package, but you would get out from under a NASTY contract in the meantime for a very, very underwhelming player in Eric Milton.

To a team like the Reds, I think the most important thing to getting things back is getting out from some horrible contracts. If they could get rid of at least a decent chunk of Griffey's and all of Miltons (which would happen if you included Dunn in the deal) than I think the team could finally start moving towards developing players, resigning its players it likes (before they hit arb...ala the Indians) and slowly getting things righted.

Plus they still should get some good prospects out of the deals (not as much as they could if they didn't unload contracts, but for a small market team, 1st priority has to be unsaddle yourself of those things). If they do that, I'd call it a winning trade deadline for them.

They got Edwin Encarnacion coming up, they need to start making more of a push at drafting collegiate pitchers (imo) and slowly yet surely they could start building themselves a nucleus.

2 quick points. Griffey can only play center because its easier on the hammy's to play center than to have to do the turn and throw from the corner outfielder spots. THis is according to JD Drew. The other point is that Griffey might be the one big name out there whose contract is so big that he could get moved in August. THis might be a Larry Walker deal where it goes down weeks after the deadline.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:22 AM)
2 quick points. Griffey can only play center because its easier on the hammy's to play center than to have to do the turn and throw from the corner outfielder spots. THis is according to JD Drew. The other point is that Griffey might be the one big name out there whose contract is so big that he could get moved in August. THis might be a Larry Walker deal where it goes down weeks after the deadline.

Didn't Walker have to clear those waviers or whatever?

What are the odds no one will claim a guy like Griffey if he comes through the wire? Remember, the Yankees are still desperate for a CF.

putting him on waivers doesnt say that cincy will pay part of his salary.

if the sox and cincy work out a deal for the salary, that doesnt have to be offered anywhere else... so if a team claims him off waivers, his whole large contract goes with it

QUOTE(toasty @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
putting him on waivers doesnt say that cincy will pay part of his salary.

if the sox and cincy work out a deal for the salary, that doesnt have to be offered anywhere else... so if a team claims him off waivers, his whole large contract goes with it

Wow. Thanks for the info. That is certainly something I was not aware of. :cheers

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
i have a problem when people say stuff like "is known to be lazy." i have heard that, but i've also heard people say he works his ass off. the lazy stuff came from people theorizing that a poor-offseason work ethic was the reason for his hamstring problems. that was a theory, though, not a fact.

i totally disagree with the clubhouse thing. i know people who work in the clubhouse and they have all said he's one of the best teammates to have. he doesn't get along that well with the media, so perhaps that's where that perception came from.

Griffey is not the leader or the work horse that A-row is. A-row has based his career on his work ethic and tireless offseason work. Griffey has made his career on early talent, and now, injuries. A-row is better defensively, is a vocal leader in the field and in the clubhouse, has a better contract, and is one of the faces of this organization. NO

I've been on here for 2.5 years, and I have been one of the biggest Rowand backers on the site. But, I've also been a Sox fan since the early 60's and have never seen the Sox in the World Series. Would I trade Rowand for Griffey? In a half heartbeat I would. I love Aaron Rowand and the way he plays the game. But Griffey is exactly what this team needs. This team ... This year. That's all I'm focused on.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
I've been on here for 2.5 years, and I have been one of the biggest Rowand backers on the site.  But, I've also been a Sox fan since the early 60's and have never seen the Sox in the World Series.  Would I trade Rowand for Griffey?  In a half heartbeat I would.  I love Aaron Rowand and the way he plays the game.  But Griffey is exactly what this team needs. This team ... This year.  That's all I'm focused on.

:headbang Exactly...Great post!!! :headbang

Imagining this team with Griffey in CF and Billy Wagner in the closer role is a dream that I never thought would come to pass!!!

I'm also a huge ARow supporter and I do doubt that he would be involved in a trade. But if you could add Griffey to the middle of the lineup this season?!?!? Who cares about the next few years, the time is now.