Ever Live Next To a Construction Site?

AddisonStSox

This is a first. For the first time in my life, the house next to mine is being gutted. Wow. This blows. Although the guy doing the remodeling has been very polite, it's awfully tough living next to this mess. It seems like everytime I come home there is a fence gone, or a roof missing, or a dumpster parked in front of the house...I mean, it just doesn't end. Plus, waking me up before noon is NOT a good move. :P

Anyone ever go through this before?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
This is a first.  For the first time in my life, the house next to mine is being gutted.  Wow.  This blows.  Although the guy doing the remodeling has been very polite, it's awfully tough living next to this mess.  It seems like everytime I come home there is a fence gone, or a roof missing, or a dumpster parked in front of the house...I mean, it just doesn't end.  Plus, waking me up before noon is NOT a good move. :P

Anyone ever go through this before?

They totally tore down my street a couple of years ago all of the way down to the dirt to put in a new sewage system. Those guys started at 7 am sharp every morning for a whole summer.

Ya, when we moved in to our current house there was a lot of construction going on (its a pretty new development) and when we were in you have neighbors putting in their yards, you have the houses right behind us still being finished.

Went on for a few months (the whole area went on for a few years) and it sucked, mainly during summer when I'd have to make sure my window was shut (which meant my room was super hot) so I didn't hear the noise quite as badly.

We were the first house on the backside of a subdivision in high school. For 3 years, all i heard every morning was construction workers, trucks, machines, piledrivers, tractors. Plus, I got to smell the wonderful smell of blacktop on the last day of construction, a 100 degree day, which lasted for about 3 weeks.

I know how much it sucks.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
We were the first house on the backside of a subdivision in high school.  For 3 years, all i heard every morning was construction workers, trucks, machines, piledrivers, tractors.  Plus, I got to smell the wonderful smell of blacktop on the last day of construction, a 100 degree day, which lasted for about 3 weeks.

I know how much it sucks.

Blacktop...? On residential homes..??? Not sure.. but I'm gonna guess that's a huge building code violation.

We were the 3rd house on our lake.. they are almost done with our section of the neighborhood. Never heard them too much.. probably cause we have jobs and left before they started working.. :lol:

My dad is a carpenter, so our house usually IS a construction site. I cannot even count the times I've been woken up by the saw, planer, god only knows what else in his shop downstairs, or hammering, or whatever.

It sucks.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
Blacktop...? On residential homes..??? Not sure.. but I'm gonna guess that's a huge building code violation.

They wait until all the construction is done on the houses before they finish paving the street because the constant heavy construction machinery beating up the pavement. Blacktop stinks, when it is 100 degrees it stinks even worse.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
They wait until all the construction is done on the houses before they finish paving the street because the constant heavy construction machinery beating up the pavement.  Blacktop stinks, when it is 100 degrees it stinks even worse.

Ohh.. you mean the driveways. I thought you were talking about the blacktop on commercial roofs. :bang

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)
Ohh.. you mean the driveways. I thought you were talking about the blacktop on commercial roofs.  :bang

I was talking about the streets going through the subdivision also. I dont know if this is common practice, but the subdivision we lived in originally made the streets and cul de sacs and paved them about 3-4 inches short of the curb, so they could just put the new blacktop down on top and have it look like it is flush and brand new.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
I was talking about the streets going through the subdivision also.  I dont know if this is common practice, but the subdivision we lived in originally made the streets and cul de sacs and paved them about 3-4 inches short of the curb, so they could just put the new blacktop down on top and have it look like it is flush and brand new.

Yea, that's common. So that the streets and driveways settle. It's actually asphalt. And yes.. it does stink.. peeuuu.

Next door to us are the 3 houses that were built in Mount Greenwood last year (there were stories all over the news about contaminated soil).

At some point in the near future they are supposed to be building four new houses (one being the house they are going to tear down behind me to build the new house).

It sucked on all accounts and actually damaged our fence and soil around the foundation - which we were told it would be fixed and hasn't been.