The AJ Burnett Rumor Mill II

Tadahito Iguchi

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
Here are the stats for Overbay & Huff:

Overbay- In 90 games:  .289 avg, 15 hr's, 50 rbi's, .390 obp, 0 sb

Huff- In 95 games: .263 avg, 11 hr's, 54 rbi's, .322 obp, 8 sb

More importantly, could someone post their ridiculously different contracts...Adding Overbay while saying good bye to Konerko would not only be an upgrade at 1B and a LH bat in the lineup, but free up..ooo..~8 million. What I would do for Lyle Overbay...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
Overbay would be a perfect short and long term fit for the White Sox.  Plus with the duel successes of the Pods/Viz-Lee trade, I could see these teams matching up for another deal as the Brewers would like to free up some spots for their big prospects, and the Sox would like a shot at some of their players.

Milwaukee won't trade Overbay this season. They will probably trade him in the offseason, but not right now.

I actually think that Overbay is at least as good as Huff. Not to mention that he'd probably cost less. Milwaukee's got Prince Fielder waiting in the wings, and I can see them being a lot more willing to trade Overbay then Tampa is to get rid of Huff. Every year, Huff's name seems to come up, and every year, the price tag appears to be too high for any team that is interested.

I don't see Tampa taking Marte and McCarthy for Huff. But I could see Milwaukee taking the same for Overbay.

Ok, now it sounds like it beacme an either/or. I don't think we have the chips to get both Burnett and Huff or Overbay. If resigning Burnett is the roadblock, then that's a dead issue.

Frank going down is huge now, very, very huge. It adds one more hole that we didn't expect to have to fix.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
I actually think that Overbay is at least as good as Huff.  Not to mention that he'd probably cost less.  Milwaukee's got Prince Fielder waiting in the wings, and I can see them being a lot more willing to trade Overbay then Tampa is to get rid of Huff.  Every year, Huff's name seems to come up, and every year, the price tag appears to be too high for any team that is interested.

I don't see Tampa taking Marte and McCarthy for Huff.  But I could see Milwaukee taking the same for Overbay.

Th e thing with huff is he can play 3rd. Thats what intrigues me.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
Ok, now it sounds like it beacme an either/or. I don't think we have the chips to get both Burnett and Huff or Overbay. If resigning Burnett is the roadblock, then that's a dead issue.

Frank going down is huge now, very, very huge. It adds one more hole that we didn't expect to have to fix.

I think we have enough for Overbay/burnett but not enough for Huff/Burnett

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
I think we have enough for Overbay/burnett  but not enough for Huff/Burnett

The only reason for that is because Chuck Lamarr is the worst GM in the league when it comes to making deals. He overprices his players, and gets nothign for them when they walk.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)
maybe for the price we can get him at.  Huff is a special player. Overbay is a good player. Big Difference.

Wrong. Overbay has been at least as good as Huff in each of his 2 seasons as a starter.

04 Overbay- .301 16 HR 87 RBI .863 OPS

04 Huff- .297 29 HR 104 RBI .853 OPS

05 Overbay- .289 15 HR 51 RBI .892 OPS

05 Huff- .263 11 HR 54 RBI .731 OPS

Especially with the year Huff is having now I don't want him.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
More importantly, could someone post their ridiculously different contracts...Adding Overbay while saying good bye to Konerko would not only be an upgrade at 1B and a LH bat in the lineup, but free up..ooo..~8 million.  What I would do for Lyle Overbay...

very true. It'd be hard to dump Konerko's salary right now. We'd have to wait until the end of the season.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
Wrong. Overbay has been at least as good as Huff in each of his 2 seasons as a starter.

04 Overbay- .301 16 HR 87 RBI .863 OPS

04 Huff- .297 29 HR 104 RBI .853 OPS

05 Overbay- .289 15 HR 51 RBI .892 OPS

05 Huff- .263 11 HR 54 RBI .731 OPS

Especially with the year Huff is having now I don't want him.

Overbay is the type of hitter we need. Right now, we need average over power. Overbay is a great mix of both. He is far more reliable average wise than PK.

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
Seein burnett speaking very positive is just giving me feeling something getting done. I havent been able post much but I have good feeling like buerhle by monday something will be done

:huh

Did I miss something?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
ESPN Insider

Fish hooked?

Jul 26 - According to South Florida Sun-Sentinel, a Marlins scout was in Syracuse, N.Y., over the weekend, where top White Sox pitching prospect Brandon McCarthy tossed six strong innings for Triple-A Charlotte.

McCarthy, 22, has been mentioned frequently as a key cog in a White Sox offer for A.J. Burnett. He is just 3-7 with a 5.17 ERA this year in the minors, but reports on the 6- foot-7 strikeout artist remain strong.

The top hitters on the Charlotte roster include outfielders Brian Anderson, the White Sox's top prospect, and Joe Borchard, a former No. 1 overall draft pick.

The whole article has a bit more info.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-mar...0,7822857.story

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)
I hope he is okay. That is very scary.

Does anyone remember that game in the 90's when the Sox were playing aginst Cleveland, and Thomas hit a line drive off the Cleveland pitcher? I remember that as looking EXTREMELY painful...especially since Frank hits line drive homeruns, I can't imagine how much force was behind that one.

Sorry, off topic...