Helicopter crashes on Tri-State

Queen Prawn

Helicopter Crashes On Tri-State Tollway

Helicopter Crashes On Tri-State Tollway

Four Injured In Crash

POSTED: 10:37 am CDT July 26, 2005

UPDATED: 11:14 am CDT July 26, 2005

CHICAGO -- An Illinois Department of Transportation helicopter crashed onto the Tri-State Tollway Tuesday morning.

The incident occurred at about 10 a.m. on Interstate 294 near 82nd Street in suburban Chicago.

IDOT officials told NBC5 that there were injuries, but no fatalities in the crash.

NBC5's Mike Lorber reported that four people were inside the helicopter and that the pilot was the most seriously injured.

Passing motorists stopped to help the occupants of the helicopter, NBC5 reported.

Eyewitnesses said the helicopter was hovering low over the area and hit a sound barrier wall before tumbling onto the highway. No cars were involved in the accident.

"At one point I thought it was going to come down and hit my car, so I slowed down and then sped up," said driver Eric Berlin, who was driving south on the highway at the time of the crash. "The pilot -- kudos to him -- did a great job of landing and not hitting any cars."

The northbound lanes of the highway were completely shut down while officials investigated the scene.

The IDOT helicopters are based out of Springfield, but they also have landing facilities at O'Hare Airport, Lorber reported.