///OLD THREAD///: Jim Thome?

CWSOX45

I'm not sure if this exactly the right place for this thread, considering I have heard no source of information hearing the White Sox would be interested.

I know that Thome is still on the DL, but with the emergence of top prospect Ryan Howard, does anyone think that the Phillies may just want to dump his salary?

Considering that rumors are that Frank may be out for the season, I think Kenny should seriously consider acquiring Thome, a powerful left handed hitter is exactly what this team needs, and he could DH.

Once again, I did not hear that the White Sox are interested in Thome, I am just curious to see if any of you would like to see Kenny go after him.

CWSOX45

P.S. I know his stats really suck this year, which makes me wonder if we could get him for next to nothing. Not to mention his .286 career average at U.S. Cellular Field

Edited by CWSOX45

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
I'm not sure if this exactly the right place for this thread, considering I have heard no source of information hearing the White Sox would be interested.

I know that Thome is still on the DL, but with the emergence of top prospect Ryan Howard, does anyone think that the Phillies may just want to dump his salary?

Considering that  rumors are that Frank may be out for the season, I think Kenny should seriously consider acquiring Thome, a powerful left handed hitter is exactly what this team needs, and he could DH.

Once again, I did not hear that the White Sox are interested in Thome, I am just curious to see if any of you would like to see Kenny go after him.

CWSOX45

Insane amount of money still left on his contact. Plus he has been hurt for most of the year.

I'll take a pass.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)

Considering that  rumors are that Frank may be out for the season, I think Kenny should seriously consider acquiring Thome, a powerful left handed hitter is exactly what this team needs, and he could DH.

CWSOX45

Absolutely not.....way too much salary to swallow there in the years to come for a player that is not producing much at this point in his career. I'd rather resign Konerko with those dollars (although I think there may be better options available in the offseason).

Nevermind. Looks like he's gonna get paid 50 million over the next three years....

Mods delete this thread, I guess next time I shouldn't just speak outta my ass and might actually want to do some research before opening my mouth. Oh well, live and learn.

CWSOX45

So...let me just get this straight.

Quite a few people here have turned against Paul Konerko because he: is currently hitting .260 (althoguh that's way up from May), he's one of the highest paid players on our team at $8 million a year, he may be on the downward side of his career with his numbers going down this year and he's done poorly with RISP.

And you're suggesting we replace him with a guy who can't stay healthy, who makes $5 million a year more than Konerko, and who has a much longer contract?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:36 AM)
So...let me just get this straight.

Quite a few people here have turned against Paul Konerko because he:  is currently hitting .260 (althoguh that's way up from May), he's one of the highest paid players on our team at $8 million a year, he may be on the downward side of his career with his numbers going down this year and he's done poorly with RISP.

And you're suggesting we replace him with a guy who can't stay healthy, who makes $5 million a year more than Konerko, and who has a much longer contract?

Balta, where the hell did you get that idea from? I clearly stated in my first post that Thome would replace THOMAS not Konerko. Thomas may be out for the rest of the season, and I thought Thome would be a good replacement for THOMAS. However I was unaware of Thome's astronomical salary, so all in all it was a bad idea.

I never said anything about replacing Konerko.

CWSOX45

Wow people jump off of bandwagons quick. Can't stay healthy? Thome hasn't played less than 143 games since 1998. He hasn't hit less than 40 hrs since 2000, or less than 30 since 1995. Thome hasn't had an OPS under .900 since 1994. 2005 is the first year he has missed signficant time since 1998, and everybody is ready to throw him under the bus.

Hell I wish Frank Thomas was that healthy...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 11:51 AM)
Wow people jump off of bandwagons quick.  Can't stay healthy?  Thome hasn't played less than 143 games since 1998.  He hasn't hit less than 40 hrs since 2000, or less than 30 since 1995.  Thome hasn't had an OPS under .900 since 1994.  2005 is the first year he has missed signficant time since 1998, and everybody is ready to throw him under the bus. 

No kidding..

It must be the heat around here lately. No other logical explanation for the craziness.. :lolhitting

How can you not worry about a guy in his mid-30's with a bad back? Being a power guy, I wouldn't sweat a knee, ankle, or shoulder but a bad back reminds me of Mike Sweeney and his problems too much. Maybe if he was towrds the end of his deal I'd roll the dice, but he's in the middle of it

He may not be healty, but he's also much better at the plate than Konerko or Thomas when he is. Hell, just last year the guy hit .274 with 42 homers and a near .400 OBP. If we could give up one or two decent prospects at the end of the year to get Philly to eat some money, that'd sound pretty good to me. I'd rather have Thome at about $12-14 mil than Konerko somewhere in the $10-$12 mil range. However, it would be nice to see if his back could hold up toward the end of the year before committing all that money. I know it's not a great comparison since he's about 5 years older, but I remember 2 years ago when people were worried about Vlad's back and several teams shied away. The two had similar injury histories before the back problems and obviously similar hitting talents. If you could get Philly to eat some cash and he shows some signs of health before the end of the season, it could be worth the risk.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
Wow people jump off of bandwagons quick.  Can't stay healthy?  Thome hasn't played less than 143 games since 1998.  He hasn't hit less than 40 hrs since 2000, or less than 30 since 1995.  Thome hasn't had an OPS under .900 since 1994.  2005 is the first year he has missed signficant time since 1998, and everybody is ready to throw him under the bus. 

Sorry that we are not all ready to jump for a guy who has been on the DL twice this year. Is batting 207 with 7 homers in 59 games and is owed a lot of money. I am not sayi ng he isnt a great player. He is one of the best power hitters in the game. But this doesnt make sense to make this move.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
Sorry that we are not all ready to jump for a guy who has been on the DL twice this year. Is batting 207 with 7 homers in 59 games and is owed a lot of money.  I am not sayi ng he isnt a great player. He is one of the best power hitters in the game.  But this doesnt make sense to make this move.

By that same logic, we should have dumped Frank Thomas after 1999.

QUOTE(southsider17 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
A more correct analogy would be that no one should have been interested in picking up Frank in 1999.

OK then we should have never resigned him after he elected free agency after the DSC was exercized. Samething. By these peoples logic, Frank Thomas should have been gone 5 years ago.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
OK then we should have never resigned him after he elected free agency after the DSC was exercized.  Samething.  By these peoples logic, Frank Thomas should have been gone 5 years ago.

Didnt know Thome came up with our org??

Thats the only reason we keep bringing Frank back

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)

We keep bringing Frank Thomas back because he can hit. Everyone can keep making double standards to excuse it when their reasonings don't fit with their heros, but it doesn't change the fact that Frank Thomas is a White Sox because when healthy he is an incredible hitter. If he were some average schmuk he would have been gone years ago, no matter how long he has been here.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)

CWSOX45

P.S. I know his stats really suck this year, which makes me wonder if we could get him for next to nothing. Not to mention his .286 career average at U.S. Cellular Field

:puke

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)

Yeah, Thomas has only been brought back for sentimental reasons. He isn't here because the lowest OPS he's posted over his career is .834, it's all because he came up with our organization... :rolly

Jesus H, that's a really dumb comment.

• 10 months later...