Make a GOOD deal, Kenny, or don't make one at all

VAfan

Perhaps a three way deal where we send Contreras to Philly, Wagner to us, Baez to the Phils, and something like Hamels/Howard/Floyd and Gio/Mac/Anderson *obviosuly one of each group) to the Drays. Not sayign it would be a good deal for any side but I guess I could envision something like that. Philly would get a closer who will be around past this year (I think), we'd get our power closer although we'd still need to add another starter, and Tampa gets two outstanding prospects. Just typing outloud

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 05:56 PM)
This may sound odd, but a good friend of mine actually knows Kenny Williams and he told her he was thinking long and hard about making a bad move to hurt the ballclub.

Jesus H. these threads are getting awful. :headshake  :headshake  :puke

That explains all the Griffey talk... :puke

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 11:37 PM)
Wow is that overpaying.  First basemen who can't hit for power are not very valuable in my book.  Sure Overbay would be a slight upgrade this year, and is a lot cheaper than Konerko and is a lefty.  But I wouldn't swap the farm for him. 

If they're interested in Overbay, I think that they should just go the extra mile and go for Dunn.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
A lot of the deals mentioned in the rumor mills scare me more than excite me.

Danys Baez?  Please NO.  At any price.

AJ Burnett as a 2-month rental for BMac and Marte?  Marginal.

Aubrey Huff?  Ok, depending on price. 

The best deal would still be Schmidt/Vizquel for Contreras, Uribe, and Anderson. 

AJ Burnett would be okay if he'd sign a 3-year contract. 

Billy Wagner would be a big plus, but he's also a likely rental, so I wouldn't overpay. 

BE CAREFUL KENNY.  DON'T MAKE A SPLASH JUST TO PROVE YOU ARE WORKING.  Make the RIGHT DEAL(s) or don't make one at all.

I couldn't disagree with you more. It depends on what your idea of a good and bad trade are at this point. For me a good trade is ONLY getting big players who can help us, regardless of what we give up. I am absolutely willing to overpay to get guys like Guardado, Wagner, Vizquel, Overbay. A bad trade for me would be to only get a guy like Scott Eyre at the deadline, even if we got him for Timo. I will be so upset if we do nothing. So much so that the idea of Burnett is getting better and better ( I don't really like him too much) as time goes by and I get more afraid that we are not gonna do anything of substance.

The only way Kenny can upset me is to not make a splash. At some point we have to not worry about making a "bad" trade and just suck it up and get what we need to make it to the promised land. My sights are set squarely on a deep playoff run and anything short of the World Series will be failure in my mind. We've been waiting 46 years to get back, let's not blow it because we didn't want to give too many damn prospects.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
I couldn't disagree with you more. It depends on what your idea of a good and bad trade are at this point. For me a good trade is ONLY getting big players who can help us, regardless of what we give up. I am absolutely willing to overpay to get guys like Guardado, Wagner, Vizquel, Overbay. A bad trade for me would be to only get a guy like Scott Eyre at the deadline, even if we got him for Timo. I will be so upset if we do nothing. So much so that the idea of Burnett is getting better and better ( I don't really like him too much) as time goes by and I get more afraid that we are not gonna do anything of substance.

The only way Kenny can upset me is to not make a splash. At some point we have to not worry about making a "bad" trade and just suck it up and get what we need to make it to the promised land. My sights are set squarely on a deep playoff run and anything short of the World Series will be failure in my mind. We've been waiting 46 years to get back, let's not blow it because we didn't want to give too many damn prospects.

See, this is a bad idea. You don't just make a deal to make a deal. You make a deal if it makes sense and if it helps you're team.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
See, this is a bad idea.  You don't just make a deal to make a deal.  You make a deal if it makes sense and if it helps you're team.

You see, in a sense i agree though. What I am saying though is- let's help our major league baseball team. If it takes for us to overpay in prospects, then fine. I'm not saying we should make a deal just to make a deal. I'm saying let's make this deal matter.