Tonight was a good thing............

Tadahito Iguchi

QUOTE(Tadahito Iguchi @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
The fact they have only scored 1 run against the royals tonight....Is a perfect reason the sox NEED a bat...........So this is Kenny's calling here............ against the Royals..................

Well, the game is not over and didn't they score like 17 last night?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:32 PM)
It will be even a better thing if Ozzie realizes he needs to stop with these f***ing B squad lineups.

My sentiments exactly. If you need to rotate a player or two, fine, but the bottom of our lineup is a black hole tonight not to mention the horrid infield defense. Harris is a joke and shouldn't even be on the major league roster, hopefully Kenny will find another backup infielder for us. Yet another outing by Buehrle spoiled by bad defense.

QUOTE(Tadahito Iguchi @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
The fact they have only scored 1 run against the royals tonight....Is a perfect reason the sox NEED a bat...........So this is Kenny's calling here............ against the Royals..................

I still laugh every time I see your avatar video. :lol:

I think if Ozzie would stop putting 3 bench players in the same lineup we'd be fine. There is no way Willie, Timo, and Ozuna should ever be in the same lineup. Frankly, I would like it if the first two weren't on the roster and the latter played once a week barring injury. Tonight's lineup is pitiful, and it always seems to happen to Buehrle. I think that's a big reason for his poor run support.

I don't think that Overbay is the right answer for the rest of this season however (I love the idea in the offseason). Our major area where we have hitting woes is in the infield, both off the bench and on the left side. I think the right answer is we need to find a contact hitter (at least a .270 average) that can play at least two out of 2B, SS, and 3B to fill in when someone needs to take a rest. Polanco would have been a nice fit. I'm not sure who else we could get. Vizquel could work, but I'm not buying the fact that he is available.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:57 PM)
I don't think that Overbay is the right answer for the rest of this season however (I love the idea in the offseason). Our major area where we have hitting woes is in the infield, both off the bench and on the left side. I think the right answer is we need to find a contact hitter (at least a .270 average) that can play at least two out of 2B, SS, and 3B to fill in when someone needs to take a rest. Polanco would have been a nice fit. I'm not sure who else we could get. Vizquel could work, but I'm not buying the fact that he is available.

We need a LH hitting RBI producer. Overbay fills the bill.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
This is why none of us are gm's, the tendency to overreact to one game.  I'd love to have Overbay and I'm sure Kenny's looking but he's not going to go nuts now because of tonight.

My response is based on an observation I made durin the 2000 season that has not been addressed as of yet.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:06 PM)
My response is based on an observation I made durin the 2000 season that has not been addressed as of yet.

I wasn't directing my comment towards you. Like I said I completely agree with the concept of getting Overbay and I'd love for the sox to acquire him, all I'm saying is he's not going to all the sudden change his views of the offense and the team on one night. Like I said I'm sure he is looking for a middle of the order left handed hitter ala Overbay or Huff.

Where is Overbay going to play???

We have a 1st baseman, and we're paying him a ton of money.

We have 3 guys who can DH on a regular basis...I don't see where Overbay fits in, unless we get him for next year when we don't resign Pauly. As for this year, I just don't see where there's room.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 12:00 AM)
KW does not have knee-jerk reactions like the rest of you.

One game is not going to make him work any harder.

jeez

I've given up and have lowered my expectations here is my lowest consideration if we have to give Iguchi a rest can we at least have an upgrade over Willie a utility player who can play second or short and make good contact and if possible a real third baseman to sub for Crede who is strong enough to make the throw from third to first unlike Ozuna. I think the minor league has better options than what we have on the bench. :stupid

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 03:33 AM)
Ozzie's got to play the bench players from time to time.  He keeps the bench sharp and the regulars rested.  I have no problem with him doing this.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Better to do it against the Royals too. With the 12 game lead, we can afford to throw our scrubs out there from time to time. Keeps the bench fresh, as well as the starters.

Either way, I don't think Ozzie playing the B-team was the reason we lost last night.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)
Well, nice to see its working... :huh:

You guys seriously don't get it. This is for if we make it to the playoffs, Ozzie will have the flexibility/confidence to go to any one of his guys to get whatever job done. If you guys seriously think Ozzie would plug all these guys in at once in a playoff game, you're simply f***tarded. Ozzie's just trying to keep his guys fresh, if they're going to be on this roster.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
You guys seriously don't get it.  This is for if we make it to the playoffs, Ozzie will have the flexibility/confidence to go to any one of his guys to get whatever job done.  If you guys seriously think Ozzie would plug all these guys in at once in a playoff game, you're simply f***tarded.  Ozzie's just trying to keep his guys fresh, if they're going to be on this roster.

Thanks for getting my back, but I've preached the 'long term' vs. 'today's game' so much, without it it sinking in that I read his post and just said ... Ah, f*** it.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
You guys seriously don't get it.  This is for if we make it to the playoffs, Ozzie will have the flexibility/confidence to go to any one of his guys to get whatever job done.  If you guys seriously think Ozzie would plug all these guys in at once in a playoff game, you're simply f***tarded.  Ozzie's just trying to keep his guys fresh, if they're going to be on this roster.

Hang cool. man. I just don't want the regulars getting rusty by not all playing together for a substantial part of the time. Maybe I am paranoid and the Oz way will prove right. I hope that is that case. It just doesn't seem like I remember Lopes, Cey & Garvey, or Conception, Rose & Morgan, or Ripken & Murray being plugged in and out of the lineup weekly.

SFF

Oh and I apologize for the smart-assness of my prior remark. It was uncalled for.

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 10:02 AM)
Hang cool. man.  I just don't want the regulars getting rusty by not all playing together for a substantial part of the time.  Maybe I am paranoid and the Oz way will prove right.  I hope that is that case.  It just doesn't seem like I remember Lopes, Cey & Garvey, or Conception, Rose & Morgan, or Ripken & Murray being plugged in and out of the lineup weekly.

SFF

65-34 ... it appears to be working.