Guillen labels Iguchi his MVP

greasywheels121

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Guillen labels Iguchi his MVP

Second baseman's unselfishness catalyst to Sox's success

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Tadahito Iguchi isn't the White Sox's top hitter, nor is he among the team's top sluggers. He has committed the second most errors on the team.

But in the eyes of manager Ozzie Guillen, Iguchi stands out among his teammates.

"If you talk about who is the MVP on this team, somebody will say (Scott) Podsednik, A.J. (Pierzynski), (Mark) Buehrle," Guillen said Tuesday. "But to me, my MVP on the season right now is Tadahito. There's no doubt about it. He gives up at least 20 at-bats moving a guy over. He gives up a lot of good pitches to hit so his teammates can run.

"He does so many good things. His defense is solid. He gets a big hit for us. He does a tremendous job."

Iguchi was flattered to hear about Guillen's comments.

"Everything I've done so far is for the team," Iguchi said through his interpreter. "I'm very happy to hear it, but I'm not satisfied with it. What I've given to the team, I want to give more."

Iguchi, in his first major-league season after playing eight years in the Japanese Pacific League, has made an incredibly smooth transition.

He leads all American League rookies in hits (86), runs (46) and total bases (133).

Iguchi has been a fixture in the second spot behind leadoff hitter Scott Podsednik. But that wasn't the plan when Iguchi signed a two-year contract in January.

Iguchi originally was targeted as the ninth hitter because Juan Uribe was coming off a 23-home run season, Joe Crede was entrenched as the eighth hitter and Guillen wasn't sure what to expect from Iguchi.

"The reason I batted him second is that I was making my lineup in the off-season and I said I have to put Iguchi at the top of the order to give him more at-bats," Guillen said. "That was it. I hit him second so he could get three at-bats in spring training.

"He was doing well and stayed there."

Guillen has marveled over Iguchi's ability to adjust to every situation, especially since he batted third in Japan because of his power. Last week, designated hitter Frank Thomas said Iguchi had the quickest hands of any player he has seen.

"He's a smart player," Guillen said. "Maybe I took the bat away from him and took away his power.

"But for him, it has worked out better for him and team. Maybe next year, I put him in the fifth, fourth or seventh spot. It may be best for him. But it has worked very well for him in the second spot."

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
At first, just from watching Iguchi this season, you wouldn't think of him as the MVP.  However, the more you see Willie play, the more you appreciate what Iguchi has done this season.  We sure take for granted his contributions.

Thank God we picked up Gooch. :pray

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 12:09 AM)
Thank God we picked up Gooch.    :pray

I love Iguchi's play but I don't like the comparisons to Willie if we could get a better second string second baseman iguchi wouldn't look as great. Please stop the Willie Harris experiment and get us a legit utility infielder.

And to think there was a thread the other day complaining "why don't we play Willie over Gooch, his defense is just as good and he can hit .270"  I hope last nights game in KC put an end to all of the Willie talk, and I hope it made everyone realize how valuable Gooch is.

We should start Willie As our WaterBoy.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:57 AM)
Sorry to be so negative but how many managers give their team MVP as many days off as Ozzie does?

Not that is makes sense with him coming from the Japanese League where they play about 20 less games, or being his first time through the American League or anything... :bang

Trust me, there have been plenty of us who have been singing Tads praises for quite a while now as we have recognized that what Iguchi does, doesn't necesarily show up in the stat page, dispite the out comes of games. And I know for some if it doesn't translate to OPS, OBP, SLG, NPERA, BA, RSIP2O, or some abreviation that is doesn't compute... But when you manager calls you out to praise you as the MVP of the best team in baseball, that should be all you need to know, stats or no stats.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:19 AM)
Not that is makes sense with him coming from the Japanese League where they play about 20 less games, or being his first time through the American League or anything... :bang

Trust me, there have been plenty of us who have been singing Tads praises for quite a while now as we have recognized that what Iguchi does, doesn't necesarily show up in the stat page, dispite the out comes of games.  And I know for some if it doesn't translate to OPS, OBP, SLG, NPERA,  BA, RSIP2O, or some abreviation that is doesn't compute... But when you manager calls you out to praise you as the MVP of the best team in baseball, that should be all you need to know, stats or no stats.

Well Gooch seems to want to play more. The MVP probably is sick of watching Willie and the B team kick the ball around.

Gooch wants more playing time

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:36 AM)
Well Gooch seems to want to play more.  The MVP probably is sick of watching Willie and the B team kick the ball around.

Gooch wants more playing time

I would also grow tired quickly of watching wee willie strike out looking for the nteenth time this season. :puke

He really blows.

Thanks for the Timo, Pablo, and Willie lineup yesterday Ozzie. :headshake

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
At first, just from watching Iguchi this season, you wouldn't think of him as the MVP.  However, the more you see Willie play, the more you appreciate what Iguchi has done this season.  We sure take for granted his contributions.

Perfect.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:01 AM)
As much as he's done at the #2 spot in the order, I really wonder what his numbers would look like if he batted #3 or #4 consistently.

I keep saying that getting Vizquel is an impact trade because it would allow the whitesox to move Gooch down in the order so he can swing away. Vizquel can provide another pesky bat at 2 with speed and good contact. Then Gooch I feel will creep back to 300 and can show his power more. I think he would be a doubles machine lower in the order. But without Vizquel, gooch is the only guy that has the patience to allow Pods to run.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:15 AM)
Ozzie is full of s*** on this one. He's been very good, but MVP? Nope. Probably fluff praise anyways

Iguchi's numbers have been suffering, but he's given up a lot of outs to move runners over, the type of thing that doesn't show up in the box score but actually hurts what's in the box score, so it seems that Guillen is just trying to build Gooch's confidence. but Iguchi has really been the perfect #2 hitter this year.

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
Who sits there "MVP" 2 straight games, do u think Derek Lee sits 2 straight, not unless he is injured, so Ozzie dont pull this s*** again like u did last night

Someone who is worried about October and not the Kansas City Royals?

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
Who sits there "MVP" 2 straight games, do u think Derek Lee sits 2 straight, not unless he is injured, so Ozzie dont pull this s*** again like u did last night

You did see what happened to Derek Lee towards the end of last year did you not?

Dear Oz,

Since you have declared the #2 spot in the lineup this year as the "move 'em over" spot comon sense would say re-vamp the lineup?

Pods-Uribe-Iguchi-Konerko-Dye-Rowand-Everett-AJ-Crede

You're a big fan & father figure to Uribe so I'm sure he'll get it done for you.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:16 AM)
I keep saying that getting Vizquel is an impact trade because it would allow the whitesox to move Gooch down in the order so he can swing away.  Vizquel can provide another pesky bat at 2 with speed and good contact.  Then Gooch I feel will creep back to 300 and can show his power more.  I think he would be a doubles machine lower in the order.  But without Vizquel, gooch is the only guy that has the patience to allow Pods to run.

As well as Iguchi has done in the 2 spot, I completly agree with you. This lineup would be much better if we could use Tad's bat as a weapon lower in the order. Unfortunatly, as the lineup stand right now, he is the only one who can do the "job" in that spot. Vizquel would be a huge pick-up IMO.