the overbay deal should be in the works

cragi

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 06:57 PM)
Okay I will explain this slowly.

The Brewers won the trade because they got a player who is more talented than all of the players we got in return.

Yes we saved money, but the amount of money we saved was not proportionate to the amount of talent that we gave up. The trade for the White Sox to have won, would to have included a much better prospect. Carlos Lee is going to be an All-Star quite frequently for the rest of his career depending on where he ends up.

Pods may never make another All-Star game, Vizcaino has been an average reliever, Hinton will be nothing.

Did the White Sox benefit?

Yes of course, but what does that have to do with the price of apples?

We sold something with high value for things with lower value. The point of the Brewer's fans post was that they wanted to get rid of Pods, they were sellers, and we way over paid for him.

I agree, I think Lee was more valuable than what we got for him. I think if you go back to the time of the trade you will see most people thought that it was going to be Pods, Viz, + some thing worth while.

::Shrugs::

SB

I believe we also wanted wanted to desperately get rid of Lee. At least that is what I read. He is a good RBI and power guy, but a terrible baseball player. To say one is more talented than the other is a ridiculous statement to me. They are both very talented players just in different facets of the game. Lee is a good RBI and power guy where as Pods is a great baserunner and leadoff man. He also has the baseball intelligence Lee has never and will never have. I have also never seen Pods take a play off or loaf over to the stands in order to catch, or in Lee's case miss, a fly ball. Pods is all hustle.

Like it or not, part of the deal was the money we saved as well. Neither team won this trade. Both teams received what they had hoped and it worked out great for each team. Sometimes teams have different needs and receive players to fill those needs and it works out for all involved. That was the case in this trade.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:16 PM)
I'm gonna have to agree with the "-71" version here.  Almost every single Sox player is hitting under his career average.  Podsednik had hit well over .300 his rookie season.  Last year, as he himself admits, he was trying to do too much and got caught up hitting home runs (12 I believe).  As you can see, this year he has 0 homers in a homer friendly ballpark.  He's realized his role, it's not to hit homers and drive in people but to get on base and go-go-go.  I would accredit his reinvented way of approaching his hitting (decidedly his own revelation) rather than Greg worn-out-my-time-here Walker.

So you are going to pick and choose who Walker helps and shows the correct approach to? Why is Walker not creditied with Pods' reinvented way of hitting, but is credited with Paulie's and Uribe's suck ass way of hitting? Pods was a career .275 hitter before this year. He also had 9 home runs in 2003. He is now hitting .300 with no home runs. If Walker teaches low average and high power then why isn't he hitting more home runs? Even with his high average in 2003 he still had more homers than he does this year.

I will never understand how some people can give credit for one thing, but not for another. It just doesn' make sense to me at all.

If Walker teaches low average and high power then why isn't he hitting more home runs? Even with his high average in 2003 he still had more homers than he does this year.

I will never understand how some people can give credit for one thing, but not for another. It just doesn' make sense to me at all.

He does?

I never knew that he teaches low average and high power, in fact, from listening to him in interviews, he teaches the opposite.

One thing for sure, he can't walk up to the plate for these guys.

Uribe gave up another point on his average today for a productive out.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
Why won't Overbay get traded?  Didn't you read the first post of this thread.  It makes sense.  Milwaulkee is out of the race, Fielder is ready for the Bigs, the Sox helped out the Brewers and the Brewers will be willing to help out the Sox.  I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's very possible.

Because there are numerous reports and an article on MLB.com that said Overbay is staying put.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
No offense but that means nothing.

I just think its wishful thinking, Frank will be back by late August/early Sept. according to ESPN.

White Sox | Thomas Injury Update

Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:34:41 -0700

ESPN.com reports Chicago White Sox DH Frank Thomas (ankle) will return this year, but his role with the team is uncertain. The team plans to re-evaluate his status in two weeks. Thomas is going to undergo a CAT scan to determine if there is any other damage in his ankle.

Well, if I came off as a dick I;m sorry. I don't feel I said anything negative to the guy. He thinks we got fleeced and we clearly did not. This is just my opinion. And Kalapse, please STFU. IF you don't have something nice to say, then don't type. Get the f*** off my back. Did I say anything to you? No. Did I ask for your response or opinion? No.

QUOTE(JoeH33 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
From Bob Nightengale of the USA Today:

The Twins, down on first baseman Justin Morneau, were in negotiations with the Brewers for first baseman Lyle Overbay

Looks like there may be some competition for Lyle from the Twins.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/columni...ghtengale_x.htm

Which is stupid, because Morneau's going to be a great player, and he's been turning it around recently.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)
If the twins got overbay and I were KW id be on the phone right away trying to get morneau

Except there's no way Terry Ryan is gonna to do that one.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)
Well, if I came off as a dick I;m sorry. I don't feel I said anything negative to the guy. He thinks we got fleeced and we clearly did not. This is just my opinion. And Kalapse, please STFU. IF you don't have something nice to say, then don't type. Get the f*** off my back. Did I say anything to you? No. Did I ask for your response or opinion? No.

He doesn't think we got fleeced. Maybe he didn't word it perfectly but some of you guys need to learn some reading comprehension.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 12:39 AM)
If they were trading Overbay it would be to make room for Fielder, it wouldn't make any sense to trade for Morneau, no?

Unless it was a 3 team deal.

QUOTE(JoeH33 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
From Bob Nightengale of the USA Today:

The Twins, down on first baseman Justin Morneau, were in negotiations with the Brewers for first baseman Lyle Overbay

Looks like there may be some competition for Lyle from the Twins.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/columni...ghtengale_x.htm

Wow thats interesting. Makes sense for the Twins though cause Overbay will be affordable for a little while longer. Only thing that stinks is they wouldn't have any use for a guy like Morneau (He's been banged up this year, but he's gonna be a big time 1b/DH).

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
I though the Twins had som much riding on Morneau and they thought he was their star 1B??? Now, he gets some injury problems and the give up....

They're not giving up on him but he might not be the answer this year so they're probably looking to upgrade for this year and maybe try Morneau again next season.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this in any of the numerous Overbay threads, but I'd be more than willing to go for this deal if the Sox could get Derrick Turnbow as part of it. He'd be a fantastic bullpen addition, almost to the same degree as Wagner, especially since Turnbow is younger and, in all likelyhood, more easily re-signeable.

QUOTE(bigred3535 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this in any of the numerous Overbay threads, but I'd be more than willing to go for this deal if the Sox could get Derrick Turnbow as part of it. He'd be a fantastic bullpen addition, almost to the same degree as Wagner, especially since Turnbow is younger and, in all likelyhood, more easily re-signeable.

Right, and while we are taking their best players, we can go ahead and trade for Ben Sheets and Carlos Lee too!