the overbay deal should be in the works

cragi

QUOTE(bigred3535 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this in any of the numerous Overbay threads, but I'd be more than willing to go for this deal if the Sox could get Derrick Turnbow as part of it. He'd be a fantastic bullpen addition, almost to the same degree as Wagner, especially since Turnbow is younger and, in all likelyhood, more easily re-signeable.

Why the hell would the Brewers trade him? He is young and cheap.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(cragi @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 11:14 PM)
Brewer fan here to give my take on the overbay rumors.

First off, as a brewer fan I believe the Brewers fleeced the Sox to get Lee, as they were desperate both to unload Podz and were equally desperate to acquire power.  But if I can just as easily see how a Sox fan would think they fleeced the Brewers.  An amazing result for both teams indeed.

There's no way the Sox got "fleeced," they're 30 games over .500, have a 11 1/2 game lead, and one of the main reasons is Pods.

This is the "fantasy" effect on baseball. Just look at the players individual numbers and judge them on those alone

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
There's no way the Sox got "fleeced," they're 30 games over .500, have a 11 1/2 game lead, and one of the main reasons is Pods.

This is the "fantasy" effect on baseball.  Just look at the players individual numbers and judge them on those alone

:banghead :banghead

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)

This is the "fantasy" effect on baseball.  Just look at the players individual numbers and judge them on those alone

Learn%20To%20read.jpg

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
Please tell me what you don't like about what I said?  I'm not allowed to have an opinion?

Read the statement you refuted. Then re-read. Then tell me where the author thought the Sox got fleeced.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
Please tell me what you don't like about what I said?  I'm not allowed to have an opinion?

That's not it. The guy didn't say the Sox got fleeced, read his whole post again. As a Brewer fan he feels that his team make a great trade, they had no use for Pods and Viz was a throw in. They needed some righthanded power and Carlos provided that perfectly. From a Brewer fan standpoint he feels that his team got the better of the deal but he understands why a Sox fan would feel his team got the better of the deal. Fleeced may have been a poor choice of words, you should try comprehending what he says.

Don't bust out that "I'm not allowed to an opinon" s***, I'm not saying you can't have an opinion I'm saying you didn't fully comprehend what he meant with his post.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:28 PM)
That's not it. The guy didn't say the Sox got fleeced, read his whole post again. As a Brewer fan he feels that his team make a great trade, they had no use for Pods and Viz was a throw in. They needed some righthanded power and Carlos provided that perfectly. From a Brewer fan standpoint he feels that his team got the better of the deal but he understands why a Sox fan would feel his team got the better of the deal. Fleeced may have been a poor choice of words, you should try comprehending what he says.

Don't bust out that "I'm not allowed to an opinon" s***, I'm not saying you can't have an opinion I'm saying you didn't fully comprehend what he meant with his post.

Yeah, I got it, but when you post this :banghead i have no idea what point you're trying to make, so it gives me very little to respond to. Also, I have no problems with reading comprehension, but thanks for your advice.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
Reading comprehension is a skill you need to learn.

OK, I hate doing things like this, but I have 2 f***ing degrees, one of them is a J.D., so I'm pretty sure my skill at reading comprehension is OK.

Hey, I like this board, and everyone is normally real cool, I just didn't appreciate being attacked for what I posted

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(bigred3535 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this in any of the numerous Overbay threads, but I'd be more than willing to go for this deal if the Sox could get Derrick Turnbow as part of it. He'd be a fantastic bullpen addition, almost to the same degree as Wagner, especially since Turnbow is younger and, in all likelyhood, more easily re-signeable.

Why would they trade Turnbow? This is a team that will likely finish above .500 for the first time in like 13 years. Everyone agrees that this team is on its way to being playoff caliber. They aren't going to trade away their young, cheap talent.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
OK, I hate doing things like this, but I have 2 f***ing degrees, one of them is a J.D., so I'm pretty sure my skill at reading comprehension is OK.

Hey, I like this board, and everyone is normally real cool, I just didn't appreciate being attacked for what I posted

I'm not trying to attack you and I apologize if it seemed that way but in his post he clearly wasn't saying the sox got fleeced and yes it probably was poor choice of words but still....people just need to read the whole post before attacking that guy. That is all I'm saying. :)

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)
I'm not trying to attack you and I apologize if it seemed that way but in his post he clearly wasn't saying the sox got fleeced and yes it probably was poor choice of words but still....people just need to read the whole post before attacking that guy.  That is all I'm saying. :)

Cool man, I probably freaked out a little bit, I took the Bar Exam the last two days, and I'm trying to recover my sanity!! Also, I got in an argument with a Cubs fan last night about this exact trade, and he was saying how the Sox got ripped off... so just letting off a little steam and being edgy! :cheers

Why would they trade Turnbow? This is a team that will likely finish above .500 for the first time in like 13 years. Everyone agrees that this team is on its way to being playoff caliber. They aren't going to trade away their young, cheap talent.

That was just idle daydreaming, not necessarily a serious suggestion. But if they were to get rid of a relatively expensive, arbitration eligible player like Overbay in the process and get back another young arm like Bajenaru they might think about a trade. I'm not saying they're willing to trade him, but if they were willing to listen to offers KW should consider it, that's all.

QUOTE(bigred3535 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
That was just idle daydreaming, not necessarily a serious suggestion. But if they were to get rid of a relatively expensive, arbitration eligible player like Overbay in the process and get back another young arm like Bajenaru they might think about a trade. I'm not saying they're willing to trade him, but if they were willing to listen to offers KW should consider it, that's all.

The only reason they'd even think of trading Overbay right now (which they have denied that they are trying to do) is because they have a player in AAA right now in Prince Fielder whom they feel is going to be a better overall player than Overbay in the long run and he is ready now. Overbay is not expensive at all, he'd make about $2M in arbitration, they'd keep him if they had a place to put him. There's absolutely no motivation to trade Turnbow.

The only reason they'd even think of trading Overbay right now (which they have denied that they are trying to do) is because they have a player in AAA right now in Prince Fielder whom they feel is going to be a better overall player than Overbay in the long run and he is ready now. Overbay is not expensive at all, he'd make about $2M in arbitration, they'd keep him if they had a place to put him. There's absolutely no motivation to trade Turnbow.

Ok I'm sorry you are completely correct in all regards and I'm retarded. All I was saying was Turnbow would be a nice pick-up (I even admitted it was day dreaming). I think the trade deadline gets people too worked up sometimes.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)

Prince who?????

If we get Overbay, good, but its not looking good right now. I think KW is looking towards Huff to settle that need.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
Prince who?????

If we get Overbay, good, but its not looking good right now.  I think KW is looking towards Huff to settle that need.

You've never heard of Prince Fielder? Cecil Fielder's son. One of the top prospects in baseball, major power.