7-27-05 Game thread Sox @ KC

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
I don't know.  Bringing in Cotts in the 8th inning to get a lefthanded hitter out, that's pretty normal.

Bringing in Politte to face Sweeney, that's pretty normal.

Marte for what, 1 2/3 innings?  Normal.

Hermanson to try and get Sweeney?  Seems normal to me.

Cotts is not a LOOGY, he can and should be allowed to pitch to more than just one hitter.

I just really have a problem with the way Ozzie uses him.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
It was a legitimate question, so you don't have to be a smartass about it.  In his last 6 appearances, his ERA is near 6.

At the beginning of the season, I don't remember anyone suggesting that we'd be this dominant. I recall quite a few predictions that we have a good team, but that it would be a very close race, with some bad stretches, but hopefully we'd pull it out and I think we will. Now if Politte sports anything over a 3 era in any span, there's a crisis.

I still think Politte's overperforming. But we have a pretty good chance this year, even w/o a single trade, just b/c we CAN dominate, and that's pretty rare. Noone always DOES. And the despair is just ridiculous on any team that's been as good as this one. Even fathom has said that he's pretty psyched, and I didn't believe anyone could be more negative than fathom.

Until this year. Milkman, I think you're a good poster, I've said that explicitly before. I just think all this 'futility' talk is more than ridiculous. Six outings for a (more-or-less) 1-inning pitcher is nothing meaningful.

Edited by jackie hayes

Cotts is not a LOOGY, he can and should be allowed to pitch to more than just one hitter.

I just really have a problem with the way Ozzie uses him.

He wants to use hard throwing righthanders against hitters like Manny Ramirez and Mike Sweeney, not too unconventional.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
He wants to use hard throwing righthanders against hitters like Manny Ramirez and Mike Sweeney, not too unconventional.

Cotts can RH's and LH's out. Ozzie's BP managing is definitely questionable

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
At the beginning of the season, I don't remember anyone suggesting that we'd be this dominant.  I recall quite a few predictions that we have a good team, but that it would be a very close race, with some bad stretches, but hopefully we'd pull it out and I think we will.  Now if Politte sports anything over a 3 era in any span, there's a crisis.

I still think Politte's overperforming.  But we have a pretty good chance this year, even w/o a single trade, just b/c we CAN dominate, and that's pretty rare.  Noone always DOES.  And the despair is just ridiculous on any team that's been as good as this one.  Even fathom has said that he's pretty psyched, and I didn't believe anyone could be more negative than fathom.

Until this year.  Milkman, I think you're a good poster, I've said that explicitly before.  I just think all this 'futility' talk is more than ridiculous.  Six outtings for a (more-or-less) 1-inning pitcher is nothing meaningful.

His ERA has been like 6, though. I'm just afraid that he's been worked too much, and that it'll keep on affecting the way he pitches. I'm also not too sure about his psyche.

I'm excited, there's no doubt about that. I'm also worried that some bad things might happen and screw it all up.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)

I don't mind bringing in Politte to face Sweeny today, although I would have been comfortable with Cotts in there as well. Neal's numbers against righties are just as good as Politte's, so I have no idea why Ozzie doesn't feel comfortable with Cotts against right-handed hitters.

And I think you just called Jose Vizcaino a hard throwing right-hander? :unsure: