Trade Cliff Politte?????????

VAfan

QUOTE(S720 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:32 AM)
To ALL OF YOU who called Kenny stupid if he should trade away Politte in a package to acquire Burnett, you guys know NOTHING.  If indeed Kenny trades Politte, I will be okayed with it.  You know WHY?  I trust Kenny much more than I trust a bunch of guys who idiotically think they have better knowledge than our GM.  Please!

You guys probably were the same ones who jumped on Kenny's throat when he made the Carlos Lee for Pods and Vizcaino trade!

Have faith and trust our GM.  It's so easy for us guys to sit behind our computers and telling Kenny, "I want that player; I want this player" when in all honesty, we know NOTHING about what's going on behind the curtain.

Last time I checked his record, KW has made some very good moves and some very bad moves over his tenure. He inherited a division winning team in 2000 and has yet to return them to the playoffs. I like Kenny, but I've yet to see him turn water into wine or walk on water. Why don't you put down the Kool Aid and have a malt liquor instead.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 04:03 PM)
Last time I checked his record, KW has made some very good moves and some very bad moves over his tenure. He inherited a division winning team in 2000 and has yet to return them to the playoffs. I like Kenny, but I've yet to see him turn water into wine or walk on water. Why don't you put down the Kool Aid and have a malt liquor instead.

If Politte is dealt for ANYONE, it would be worse than Kip Wells and Josh Fogg for .... (who was the stiff we got for those guys?)

20 Mariano Rivera NYY 39 0 42.1 22 10 4 11 48 4 2 0 25 0.85

31 Cliff Politte CWS 41 0 41.2 21 7 7 11 40 6 0 11 1 1.51

Cliff's ERA is slightly higher, but he's given up 1 less hit and the same number of walks in 2/3 less of an inning and 1 fewer game. Plus he's 6-0 for us. He's given up 2 HRs to Rivera's 1.

If Politte is dealt and then we get Danys "Blown Save" Baez in his place, the Sox can kiss their postseason hopes goodbye. I guarantee we'll lose a game late that Politte would have handled with his tremendous play this year.

If Politte is dealt for ANYONE, it would be worse than Kip Wells and Josh Fogg for ....  (who was the stiff we got for those guys?)

20 Mariano Rivera NYY 39 0 42.1 22 10 4 11 48 4 2 0 25 0.85

31 Cliff Politte CWS 41 0 41.2 21 7 7 11 40 6 0 11 1 1.51

Cliff's ERA is slightly higher, but he's given up 1 less hit and the same number of walks in 2/3 less of an inning and 1 fewer game.  Plus he's 6-0 for us.  He's given up 2 HRs to Rivera's 1. 

If Politte is dealt and then we get Danys "Blown Save" Baez in his place, the Sox can kiss their postseason hopes goodbye.  I guarantee we'll lose a game late that Politte would have handled with his tremendous play this year.

Wow you are in love with this guy, but it's a little much to compare him to Mariano Rivera, one guy is a closer, the other is a 7th inning guy. Big difference.

Politte is doing a fantastic job for the White Sox this year and I highly doubt they will move him, he is cheap for next year too. But to say they shouldn't move him at basically any cost ... well, doesn't it depend on what they'd get back?

I don't fall in love with players, if KW does then he's got a problem. The trick is to get better and sometimes that means trading good players that other teams want. It all depends what they'd get, it always does.

If including Politte in this package, KW seems to want Burnett more than we thought, for some reason. I'm started to agree that this is a useless trade. We need a trade for a bat more than a SP. Burnett may not even be here next year, but Politte more than certainly would be. Granted, this is pure speculation.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
Wow you are in love with this guy, but it's a little much to compare him to Mariano Rivera, one guy is a closer, the other is a 7th inning guy.  Big difference.

Politte is the 8th inning guy, not usually the 7th inning guy. And it's my personal opinion, though I haven't done the research, that more games are lost to an 8th inning rally by the opponent than a 9th inning one, so I never underestimate the value of the set up guys. Moreover, they often have to come in mid-inning and fix a mess, and closers usually get to start innings.

So of course Cliff Politte is not as good as the best relief pitcher ever (Rivera), but he's been golden for us this year. And if Hermanson couldn't go, I wouldn't hesitate to close with Politte. 32 base runners in 42 innings. No one touches him.

In the postseason, I expect he will appear in EVERY close game.

Politte is the 8th inning guy, not usually the 7th inning guy.  And it's my personal opinion, though I haven't done the research, that more games are lost to an 8th inning rally by the opponent than a 9th inning one, so I never underestimate the value of the set up guys.  Moreover, they often have to come in mid-inning and fix a mess, and closers usually get to start innings.

So of course Cliff Politte is not as good as the best relief pitcher ever (Rivera), but he's been golden for us this year.  And if Hermanson couldn't go, I wouldn't hesitate to close with Politte.  32 base runners in 42 innings.  No one touches him. 

In the postseason, I expect he will appear in EVERY close game.

Well let's hope he gets in the close games and he does well, whether it's 7th or 8th innings ... both of which he's pitched frequently this year.

Politte has not done well as a closer in the past but a lite may have turned on for him this year, it's entirely possible.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
The only way I put Politte in the deal is if we get Mota. Mota is a closer (protection for Hermanson +a closer for next year), Politte while good is pitching over his head and not a closer.

Mota's not having that good of a year. Cliff's been the best setup man in baseball this year, trading Cliff would just be dumb imo.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
The only way I put Politte in the deal is if we get Mota. Mota is a closer (protection for Hermanson +a closer for next year), Politte while good is pitching over his head and not a closer.

Wow. Garland is ptiching over his head, let's trade him for Burnett.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)

Who has more career saves the career set-up man turned closer this year or the spot closer for the past 3 seasons Hermanson.

Hermanson = 45 saves

Mota = 7 saves

Yeah Mota's more of a closer than Hermanson.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 12:38 PM)
Wouldn't it make sense if Kenny trades Politte & McCarthy for Burnett, that we'll have one too many SP's we can trade for bullpen help?

No, because Cliff's been the best setup man in baseball, you don't trade him, period.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
Well, I guess some of Cliff's luster came off today, but I still wouldn't trade him this year.

everybody has bad days and makes bad pitches. it does seem that lately he has not been quite as good as he was going for awhile.