Bryan Dolgin

Steff

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 06:01 PM)
The infamous interview between Silverman, DeFalco and Jerry Reinsdorf took place on Opening Day, quickman and I listened to it on the way to the game.

DeFalco had done some color and play-by-play with Harrelson for a few spring training games and by all accounts, held his own.

In that interview, it was clearly Silverman who was pushing Reinsdorf's buttons, so I'd seriously doubt Reinsdorf would have much of an issue with DeFalco.  Carmen is pretty easy going, whereas Silverman could be described as less than easygoing.

By all accounts from the Sox.. he sucked.

And you're right on the interview. Sorry bout that Josh.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 05:18 PM)
Carmen doing play by play??  I know you didn't say it but he was awesome doing that during spring training.

Exactly, if she was referring to Carmen doing play-by-play--and, to her credit, I don't think she was--she couldn't have been further from the truth.

To quote Hawk:

"You were the best rookie I've ever heard in the booth."

On more than a few occasions, Hawk has told Carmen he has a bright future in the world of broadcasting.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)
Exactly, if she was referring to Carmen doing play-by-play--and, to her credit, I don't think she was--she couldn't have been further from the truth.

To quote Hawk:

"You were the best rookie I've ever heard in the booth."

On more than a few occasions, Hawk has told Carmen he has a bright future in the world of broadcasting.

I didn't hear him do one game so I have no idea. All I know is the job was his.. after the last time he did it they went after Dolgin. :huh

I didn't hear him do one game so I have no idea. All I know is the job was his.. after the last time he did it they went after Dolgin.  :huh

Oh you are talking about him doing post game shows (sucking) vs. play by play.

My take on his PBP was, he did a decent job for a first timer and yes, I recall Hawk complimenting him several times.

I did not think there were post game shows after the spring training games, usually they went right to MJ+H because 90% of the spring games are 2:05.

Right about the time they named Dolgin coincided with Carmen and Silvy officially being given their timeslot FT. Personally that's what I think happened.

Actually, this is a who cares issue, the thread is about what kind of job Dolgin is doing.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 06:38 PM)
Actually, this is a who cares issue, the thread is about what kind of job Dolgin is doing.

Thanks for getting it back on track Jim..

Anymore thoughts...? Constructive ones anyway.. :rolly

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
I am getting used to him.  It has taken a while though.  Wills has been doing it for quite a while and I thought that he was awsome.  He was not affraid to put a stupid caller in his place for knowing nothing about baseball or the whitesox.  And ot was pretty awsome when he read the cubs scores and when they lost he would say" OH NOOOOO"

I agree with this post. As a matter of fact, I wish I had posted something similar. Dolgin has improved and deserves a chance to continue. He started out a little slow, but he's improved. Wills was one of a kind and its hard to follow up on such an act. When I think of who the Score might put in Dolgins place the gag reflex starts.

Steff...nice work on creating the post!

It was enjoyable to read all of the above comments. Please keep them coming.

This is my first post on this website, and I have enjoyed typing each letter of it. Feel free to post any questions you all might have for me.

If you call in to future post game shows or Chicago Baseball Tonight, please let mention that you frequent SoxTalk.com.

Bryan

QUOTE(Sox Radio Bryan @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 02:28 AM)

It was enjoyable to read all of the above comments.  Please keep them coming.

This is my first post on this website, and I have enjoyed typing each letter of it.  Feel free to post any questions you all might have for me. 

If you call in to future post game shows or Chicago Baseball Tonight, please let mention that you frequent SoxTalk.com.

Bryan

Heh.

I knew Steff's post was a setup.

;)

I do enjoy your pre and post game stuff when I can, Bryan.

Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to hang up on the idiots that deserve it.

QUOTE(Sox Radio Bryan @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 12:28 AM)

This is my first post on this website, and I have enjoyed typing each letter of it.  Feel free to post any questions you all might have for me. 

Bryan

Whoa, welcome aboard Bryan. :cheers

Edited by Rowand44

If its true that Bryan won't be held over at the Score, I'm disappointed. It will be a shame that he was never given the chance to further grow into that post-game role.

I think he struggled at first (remember that caller who asked him what Frank Thomas swung in the on-deck circle? Dolgin clearly had no clue what the caller was talking about, and embarassed himself mightily before the caller said it was a piece of Old Comiskey). The one thing that still gets me is when he feels the need to justify his Sox fanness by saying that he and his brother were at Big Frank's debut in Milwaukee...a story I've heard a few times too many after games this year. Personally, I believe he's a Sox fan, and I don't need to hear that story over and over again.

Dolgin also brings a younger face to the game; I think his hip-hop lingo is a perfect combination with the more old-tyme Rooney and Farmer.

Also, anyone notices that he saids "White Sox and <other team> coming up....right now". Always "right now" rather than NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXT.

I'll miss him.

(remember that caller who asked him what Frank Thomas swung in the on-deck circle? Dolgin clearly had no clue what the caller was talking about, and embarassed himself mightily before the caller said it was a piece of Old Comiskey).

For the record on the statement above, I always knew Frank was swinging a piece of rebar. When the caller said that it was from Old Comiskey, the caller could not have been farther from the truth. I went with it at the time because I had no choice as I did not know the story details of the rebar origin.

The next day, I talked to Frank Thomas and Vinnie Fresso (equipment manager). It is a piece of rebar. However, Vinnie gets it from a friend of his who works in highway contruction here in Illinois. He gets a long piece and has it blow torched down into three pieces for the season's use. It is about an inch thick. Frank started using it in the early 90s as a way to help him increase his bat speed.

Old Comiskey makes for a great story, but a myth.

QUOTE(Sox Radio Bryan @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 01:28 AM)

Bryan

Hey Bryan.. glad you had a chance to read some of the others thoughts. I figured it would be interesting to read what some others who have listened to you more would have to say.

And for the record knightni Bryan didn't ask me to create this thread..

QUOTE(Sox Radio Bryan @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 01:28 AM)

Bryan

Welcome to Soxtalk Bryan... Keep up the good work :cheers

QUOTE(Sox Radio Bryan @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 12:28 AM)

Bryan

Hey Bryan, I listen to you from deep in the heart of the Confederacy, where I now live. Thank God for the internet. I'm an old geezer Sox fan who actually remembers the 59 WS. You were not given an easy task, following in the footsteps of Dave Wills, but you've come a long way since the start of the year. If you're not on board when the Sox shift to the Score it will be a shame, but I suspect you will land on your feet somewhere else. Enjoy the rest of the year, and may the Sox continue to make it a memorable one.

Great post idea, Steff! I've been thinking about creating the same thing for quite som time, but never did.

I personally think when Bryan started he was very raw. He kept saying, "Chicago White Sox" every time he referred to the Sox, instead of "White Sox" or just "Sox." I don't know why this got to me, but it did. He's since become more comfortable in the position it seems. I still think at times he falls back into the "Sounds like he's reading a script" mode. But, like I said, he gets better everyday.

I absolutely loved Wills, so I may be a bit too critical of "the new guy" at times, but I'm sure I'll miss Bryan if they don't carry him over to the Score. I probably listen to more games than I watch, so I want someone that that's easy to listen to. Bryan has gotten a lot easier.

Want to hear critical... oye ve.. the first time I met Bryan... I'm really into a conversation with him and I'm saying to myself "he's not so bad..." and Jim walks over and goes.. "So Steff.. is this the guy you say sucks..?" Keep in mind I had listened to Bryan maybe 3 times all year and not for more than 3 minutes each time. I was mortified... :ph34r:

But Bryan understood. We had a history with Wills... I do listen to Bryan much more now and appreciate him - except when he reaches for that damn net.. :lolhitting .

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 09:39 AM)
Want to hear critical... oye ve.. the first time I met Bryan... I'm really into a conversation with him and I'm saying to myself "he's not so bad..." and Jim walks over and goes.. "So Steff.. is this the guy you say sucks..?" Keep in mind I had listened to Bryan maybe 3 times all year and not for more than 3 minutes each time. I was mortified...  :ph34r:

But Bryan understood. We had a history with Wills... I do listen to Bryan much more now and appreciate him - except when he reaches for that damn net..  :lolhitting .

Ha! Classic! Was Jim drinking?