Official Looking Ahead to 2006 Thread

aboz56

Even though its a long while off, it's never too early to start thinking of our potential financial situation for next season. So here it is, what is known of salaries for next year along with potential salaries as well as FA's. We can keep track of this and update it all the way until next year and keep discussion open as well. If anyone has any major corrections, because I know there could quite possibly be errors here, please let me know and I'll fix them. Enjoy.

Players signed for next season with 2006 salary:

Orlando Hernandez - 4.5 million + possible incentives

Tadahito Iguchi - 2.4 million

Aaron Rowand - 3.25 million

Dustin Hermanson - 3 million

Juan Uribe - 3.15 million

Jermaine Dye - 5 million

Damaso Marte - 2.25 million

Freddy Garcia - 9 million

Mark Buehrle - 7.75 million

Scott Podsednik - 1.9 million

Jose Contreras - 8 million

11 Players - 50.2 million signed already for next season

Possible Player Options:

Frank Thomas - 2006 has dual option: 10M Player and 12M Team or a 3.5M buyout

Carl Everett - 5M Team option for 2006 with a 500K buyout

Cliff Politte - 1.2M 2006 Team option or 100K buyout

Free Agents:

Paul Konerko, Pablo Ozuna, Chris Widger

Arbitration Eligible (please note that even if a player is arbitration eligible, this does not necessarily mean the team will go to arbitration with the player. The team can either sign the player to a one-year deal, multi-year deal or go to arbitration with the player. The team can also choose to non-tender the player, making him a free agent):

Timo Perez, Jon Garland, Luis Vizcaino, Joe Crede, Willie Harris, AJ Pierzynski

Non-arbitration Eligible or Protected Players (contract can get renewed in the first two weeks of March or earlier for at least the minimum salary of 316K, if he has at least 1 day of service)

Bobby Jenks, Ross Gload, Brandon McCarthy

Edited by aboz56

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
Couldn't this thread have waited until November sometime?

YOU NO TEL ME WHE I STAR A THREA

:P

In all seriousness, one good thing about this will be if someone asks, what is so and so signed for next season or asks about Frank's contract for next year, we just point them here and we've got a good idea of everyone's contract situation. Just my two cents.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
I think Widger is a Free Agent.

I was thinking that him and Ozuna may both be FA, if someone could clarify on this, I'd appreciate it.

It baffles my mind how people can involve themselves in the team or trade threads and then say they don't want threads about the future of the team. I don't see how ignorance is a good thing. If you don't like the timing of the post, then go find another. For a board that is largely male, there are no shortage of boobs here.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)
Don't use "jew" someone might think you are an anti-semite :bang

I distinctly heard it. I was having lunch with some guys, so I asked, Did you eat yet?, and they said, No, did Jew? Not, did you eat, did Jew eat? Jew? Get it?

Ahh, the follies of youth.

Enjoy this season until the team plays it's last game. I usually would say until they are mathamatically eliminated. My kids use to play a song

We'll take the most from living, have pleasure while we can

live for today

And don't worry 'bout tomorrow, just live for today

or something like that.

QUOTE(OldRetiredGuy @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
Ahh, the follies of youth.

Enjoy this season until the team plays it's last game. I usually would say until they are mathamatically eliminated. My kids use to play a song

We'll take the most from living, have pleasure while we can

live for today

And don't worry 'bout tomorrow, just live for today

or something like that.

Politte at 1.5 mil I believe the sox will keep him as long as he continues to perform then if we keep him then the following year he'd be arbitration eliglible. How is a player arbitration eligible and when can a player declare free agency? Is there someplace, book or site that I can find these definitions?

This is what i see happening this offseason for the whitesox

This is if the white sox stand pat and dont make any trades this year

payroll now = 75,228,000

Free agents after this year:

Carl Everet

Paul Konerko

Cliff Politte (club option which we will pick up)

Frank Thomas

I think they will not resign Konerko next year the opens up 8,750,000 I also dont think they will resign Thomas, unless they sign like a 1.5 million dollar deal with incentives for not getting injured, That opens up 8,000,000. They might resign Carl But I doubt it so there is another 4 million added. That leaves 20,750,000 open for next year some of it will have to go to Garland though (yes i now he isnt a free agent). Basically there going to need a 1st baseman possibly a 3rd baseman and I would get rid of the cuban connection and get a proven closer.

Possible 1st baseman:

Kevin Millar

Possible 3rd baseman

Bill Mueller

Possible Pitchers:

starters:

Burnett

Schimidt (his team option will most likely be picked up though

Kevin Millwood (to expensive)

realivers:

Tom Gordon

Billy wagner

Octavio Dotel

So basically I see we have about 20 million to spend next year to get some of the guys I listed above and Im sure JR will add about 5 mill so then 25 mill to get some of those guys and get some trades involved. So I see next years payroll anywhere from 80mill to 85mill

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:19 AM)
11 Players - 50.2 million signed already for next season

Possible Player Options:

Frank Thomas -  2006 has dual option: 10M Player and 12M Team or a 3.5M buyout

Carl Everett - 5M Team option for 2006 with a 500K buyout

Cliff Politte - 1.2M 2006 Team option or 100K buyout

Free Agents:

Paul Konerko, Pablo Ozuna, Chris Widger

Arbitration Eligible (please note that even if a player is arbitration eligible, this does not necessarily mean the team will go to arbitration with the player.  The team can either sign the player to a one-year deal, multi-year deal or go to arbitration with the player. The team can also choose to non-tender the player, making him a free agent):

Timo Perez, Jon Garland, Luis Vizcaino, Joe Crede, Willie Harris, AJ Pierzynski

Non-arbitration Eligible or Protected Players (contract can get renewed in the first two weeks of March or earlier for at least the minimum salary of 316K, if he has at least 1 day of service)

Bobby Jenks, Ross Gload, Brandon McCarthy

How much do you think it will take to resign Garland? We could just go through arbitration of course... but we'll have to deal with that eventually. If the Sox think he can repeat his performance from this year, they should try to resign him to a reasonable deal to lock him up longterm, hopefully we could nab him for 3-4 years at 7-8 mil?

AJ's making 2.25 mil this year, what will it take to bring him back? 3.5 per year? Try to get him back for 3 years.

I'd go for arbitration with Joe and Viz.

Drop Willie and Timo. Bring back Ozuna. Widger, maybe? Determine in ST. Pick up Politte's option.

Sign Konerko if he wants to come back at $6-7 mil per year. Seeing as he won't, don't bother. Everett, 3-4 mil, good? If not, bye. Thomas, buy out, rework cheap contract (probably the only person where my personal bias affects my judgement).

Jenks and Cotts are locked up.

So...(please feel free to adjust as you see fit)

Politte $1.2

AJ ~$3.5

Joe ~$3?

Garland ~$7

Viz ~$1.3 (what he's making this year)

Thomas ~$5 (incl buyout, not incl incentives)

Ozuna, Widger, Gload, Cotts, Jenks, Timo (I just know he'll be back, damn) ~>$3.5

=24.5

+50.2

=74.7

I guessed a little high on Crede's arbitration #'s and what we'd be giving Garland next year, so it could easily be only $68-70 mil. So what would we need for replacements? 1B and util inf (3B backup), that's it. Maybe we could look at a SS replacement in the offseason if Uribe continues to struggle which could take care of the util inf. So, who is a free agent next year to look at...

1B: Not too much here. Poor crop. A lot of old players. Tony Clark has been tearing it up in AZ and is a switch hitter but would only be a temporary one year type player, basically a risk as his chances of repeating this year's numbers are bleak. Millar will be a FA but is having a down year this year. Of course the best option would be to trade for Huff NOW. Erubiel Durazo would be an intriguing one year player (OAK will not be resigning him).

SS: Not deep here either. Nomar is a FA, but does anyone want his injury risk? Hmm... Alex Gonzalez (both of them actually, but FLA specifically) will be a FA and is having a good year THIS year. A little risky for a repeat performance. Furcal will be a FA, but he's talking BIG money. That's about it folks...

How about free agents after the 2006 season? These players would be more susceptible to being traded in this offseason if they're playing for poor teams. Here we go:

1B: Much better. Shea Hillenbrand's here, but the Jays will probably want to take their chances next year even though they have depth at 1B/3B. Derek Lee... wouldn't that be a slap in the face for Cubs' fans? HUGE money after 2006 and won't happen anyway, obviously. Nick Johnson of the Nationals will be a FA, but I hardly see the Nats giving up on next season after this season's miracle (although nosediving currently). Other names: Sean Casey, Darin Erstad.

SS: Short list. Julio Lugo. That's the name. Probably better off waiting till '06 offseason to try to get him in terms of what we'd have to give up.

Note: Melvin Mora is a FA after 2006 season. I love this guy. But I digress...

If we couldn't manage to find a SS replacement for Uribe, we could bring back a guy like Graff to be the other util inf. The best 1B option for this year AND next year would be Huff. With the way the wild card has given almost every team a chance to make the playoffs nearly every year, it seems likely that we'll have a very similar team next year. We have a pretty young team, and I don't forsee any dropoffs in most of our players. Duque will start to wear down, and we'll have to replace him with McCarthy (if we don't trade him) or somebody. There are a plethora of pitchers in the offseason who we could slot in lower in the rotation if we could trade Duque. Available: Burnett, Weaver, Tomko, Millwood, Clemens (riiiight), Sele, Armas Jr, Morris, Elarton, Byrd, Rogers, Lilly, Washburn, Moyer (no thank you). Eyre will be available in the offseason if we can't get him before Sunday. Not too much available in terms of BP help though.

Bottom line: Assuming a similar lineup next year, the Sox can easily pull in under $80 mil. Will Uncle Jerry spring for more if the Sox make the playoffs and go deep? After tasting a little ALCS or WS, methinks yes.

After providing all these facts, I think I'm entitled to a short paragraph of speculation on the offseason. What big name free agents could help the Sox? Clemens, but I doubt he'll even consider it. Even though Nomar's an injury liability (and he's a Cub, ugh), he's got the most upside of all the FA SS's. The Sox could really use a SS if Uribe continues the way he has. IMO we should carefully monitor Uribe and Nomar the rest of the season. If Nomar comes back strong, I say the Sox get in a serious bidding war for him. For once I think next year we'll have a little payroll flexibility (if we pick up Huff and drop Konerko) given the playoffs, increase in attendance, and subsequent increase in season ticket holders. If Nomar goes down, we'd still have Uribe. But if he'd stay healthy, we'd be talking about an All-Star (hey, maybe we'd get some national media coverage! not that I care that much...). I think it'd be worth the risk, give him a million or two more than the Cubs. He wouldn't even have to find a new residence. Here's my let-me-have-my-fun lineup @ a payroll somewhere between $81-90 mil.

Pods

Gooch

Nomar

Huff

Thomas

Dye

AJ

Rowand

Crede

Bench: Uribe, Timo, Gload, Widge, Ozuna

Pitching: Same (hey, everyone's signed so why not? good enough this year)

I think that would pretty much put us as the favs to repeat. Thanks for reading, remember to bump in a few months. :gosox1:

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)
Pods

Gooch

Nomar

Huff

Thomas

Dye

AJ

Rowand

Crede

Bench: Uribe, Timo, Gload, Widge, Ozuna

Pitching: Same (hey, everyone's signed so why not?  good enough this year)

I think that would pretty much put us as the favs to repeat.  Thanks for reading, remember to bump in a few months. :gosox1:

:puke

Yeah, yeah... I'm not a big fan of Nomar currently either. But you can't argue with his talent. IF he comes back healthy, would you rather take a chance on a All-Star or would you put your faith in Uribe? Fully healthy, defense is not an issue here. It's not like Nomar's 38, he should still have several more very productive years. If Jerry is willing to spend, where else would you put the $$ that would most benefit the team?

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
Yeah, yeah... I'm not a big fan of Nomar currently either.  But you can't argue with his talent.  IF he comes back healthy, would you rather take a chance on a All-Star or would you put your faith in Uribe?  Fully healthy, defense is not an issue here.  It's not like Nomar's 38, he should still have several more very productive years.  If Jerry is willing to spend, where else would you put the $$ that would most benefit the team?

IF he comes back healthy and yes we should put money into the SS poistion but not at nomar there are better options out there. Alex Gonzalez the florida one cheaper not as injury prone and still some awesome D is the best choice IMO. Or Royce Clayton :ph34r: