Official Looking Ahead to 2006 Thread

aboz56

Alex Gonzalez is having a good year this year, but I'm skeptical about it. He'd be a good option if we could get him cheap. He's hitting a career high in average this year but is also aiming for a low in homers. It may be that he's let off his power stroke in favor of some average. So you're either gonna get a good average hitter or a decent power hitter (no improvement over Uribe). If he's gonna hit for a good average I definitely wouldn't mind taking him on. However, I'd hope he wouldn't be looking for more than he's getting paid this year (3.5 mil) as I don't think he's worth more than that. The positives on him are that he's still young and he'd be transplanted to a "small" park. He could POSSIBLY put up something like .280/15/75 next year, which I wouldn't complaing about. But let's be honest, he isn't a middle of the order hitter, which Nomar is. I think a healthy Nomar is worth the gamble but of course that's JMO. If we have extra payroll flexibility next year, we should use it somewhere. If you take a look at the FAs for the offseason, it's not that good. We could improve our SP, but then we'd have to trade off Duque or Contreras. Maybe go after Millwood or Morris? I don't think we'd gain all that much in that sort of deal. There really aren't that many great position players available. Damon is going to command big cash, not to mention we don't need any OF help. We're set with OF, 2b, 3b, p, and (hopefully) c. If you were going to take a chance and/or invest a chunk of $, what player would you look to acquire to make the team better?

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:06 PM)
Alex Gonzalez is having a good year this year, but I'm skeptical about it.  He'd be a good option if we could get him cheap.  He's hitting a career high in average this year but is also aiming for a low in homers.  It may be that he's let off his power stroke in favor of some average.  So you're either gonna get a good average hitter or a decent power hitter (no improvement over Uribe).  If he's gonna hit for a good average I definitely wouldn't mind taking him on.  However, I'd hope he wouldn't be looking for more than he's getting paid this year (3.5 mil) as I don't think he's worth more than that.  The positives on him are that he's still young and he'd be transplanted to a "small" park.  He could POSSIBLY put up something like .280/15/75 next year, which I wouldn't complaing about.  But let's be honest, he isn't a middle of the order hitter, which Nomar is.  I think a healthy Nomar is worth the gamble but of course that's JMO.  If we have extra payroll flexibility next year, we should use it somewhere.  If you take a look at the FAs for the offseason, it's not that good.  We could improve our SP, but then we'd have to trade off Duque or Contreras.  Maybe go after Millwood or Morris?  I don't think we'd gain all that much in that sort of deal.  There really aren't that many great position players available.  Damon is going to command big cash, not to mention we don't need any OF help.  We're set with OF, 2b, 3b, p, and (hopefully) c.  If you were going to take a chance and/or invest a chunk of $, what player would you look to acquire to make the team better?

Im not taking a chance on nomar no matter what your comments are gonzalez are right and millwood would to expensive he already make 8 mill this year. I just woudnt take a chance on nomar he is to injury prone and maybe he used roids the tendons got tight and thats why they breaking or getting pulled.

QUOTE(UC76 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
Nomar?????????????

Ugh. I don't like this idea.

Only if Mia Hamm promises to come to every game in a bikini.

Our leftfielder's girlfriend is 1,000,000 X hotter than Nomah's. Mia Hamm is not that good looking.

mia_hamm1.jpg or lisa_dergan_150.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I was very bored yesterday because the white sox had an off day and was looking ahead to next season after we win the world series... Please comment, but don't be too harsh. Thanks!

- Mike

============================================

2006 CHICAGO WHITE SOX – Off-season Plan:

Re-sign:

• 1B Paul Konerko

• C Chris Widger

• DH Carl Everett

Sign:

• LHP Andy Pettite

• RHP Guillermo Mota

Trade:

• RHP Orlando Hernandez, SS Juan Uribe, RHP prospect Jeff Bajenaru and OF prospect Jerry Owens to the Texas Rangers for SS Michael Young and a prospect to be named later

Starting Pitchers:

Mark Buehrle

Freddy Garcia

Andy Pettie

Jon Garland

Jose Contreras

Bullpen:

Guillermo Mota

Luis Vizcaino

Neal Cotts

Cliff Politte

Demaso Marte

Bobby Jenks

Dustin Hermanson

Catchers:

A.J. Pierzynski

Chris Widger

Infielders:

Paul Konerko

Tadahito Iguchi

Michael Young

Joe Crede

Pablo Ozuna

Geoff Blum

Outfielders:

Scott Podsednik

Aaron Rowand

Jermaine Dye

Carl Everett

Brian Anderson

Trade:

• RHP Orlando Hernandez, SS Juan Uribe, RHP prospect Jeff Bajenaru and OF prospect Jerry Owens to the Texas Rangers for SS Michael Young and a prospect to be named later

Eh, not really mutually beneficial. Texas doesnt want to trade one of the best SS in the game for an overage pitcher, a nothing, old prospect, a decent OF guy, and Uribe.

QUOTE(mwolfson @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
Trade:

Now, do you really think that the Rangers would do this trade? I'm not sure they'd give up Young for McCarthy and Chris Young.

QUOTE(Da Sox @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
so when your bored you have nothing better to do then to post something nobody's going to want to read?

Sorry don't mean to sound .. mean...  but  :banghead

I liked it. :unsure:

I don't mind looking ahead. I'm so bored without the Sox, it's been over 48 hours since the last game and I have to work tonight so I won't see the game.

Edited by whitesoxin'

Couple notes...does anyone know if the Widge will actually want to play next year? He's probably earned the backup catcher spot if he wants it, but last year he was this close to retiring wasn't he?

I see you don't have #35 included on your list. :crying :crying :crying :crying

I bet if you swap Contreras for El Duque in your trade list, Texas just might bite. Although you'd be much better off if you tried to put together a package for Soriano which included a pitcher...they're going to move him for pitching in the off-season no matter what.

What happens to Borchard? He's out of minor league options, so either he's traded, he's on the 25 man next year, or he's got to clear waivers (i.e. he leaves with us getting nothing).

Jon Garland had sure better get a 3-4 year deal signed in the offseason. I don't want him going through arbitration.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 10:10 PM)
Since when is Petite a free agent at the end of the year and I want no part of mota.

Why don't you want mota? If he is a F.A. after this season, and the reason is because he may be a problem in the clubhouse then i think you should reconcider your thought. He has been a pretty good reliver in his career. Here are his career numbers averaged/totaled out. ( From 99-05) His numbers aren't that bad and he could be used in the set up role or middle relief. And besides, could he be any worse than shingo was this year.

G GS W L SV CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA

373 0 21 24 7 0 0 446.1 379 188 175 40 168 357 3.53 1.23 .231

Edited by sayitaintso

• 4 weeks later...