Who would be the best?

Steve9347

If you had to pick any one of the players possibly coming to the Sox, who do you think will have the best impact on our team?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to pick any one of the players possibly coming to the Sox, who do you think will have the best impact on our team?

• Danys Baez
    • AJ Burnett
    • Aubrey Huff
    • Lyle Overbay
    • Jason Schmidt
    • Omar Vizquel
    • Billy Wagner
    • other

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
Overbay would be awesome if we did not have Gload, Carl and Frank

1st you want Willie to start over Gooch and now you want stonehands at 3rd. Tell me exactly how we would use Huff??? Overbay would be our starting Dh and Konerko the starting 1B. Carl will get AB's filling in for Dye, Pods, and the DH.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
1st you want Willie to start over Gooch and now you want stonehands at 3rd. Tell me exactly how we would use Huff??? Overbay would be our starting Dh and Konerko the starting 1B. Carl will get AB's filling in for Dye, Pods, and the DH.

I did not neccesarily say I wanted willie to start FULL TIME over gooch.

This is a different matter, stone hands ? Why don't you ask yasny permission to use his lines before you use it.

DH is not our weakness on offense. Carl is doing just fine IMO. Frank would be fine too if he were healthy. That is not ceratain that he is out for the year. What happens if Frank gets back?

Where as with Huff you can rotate him around better. He does not have to start at 3rd. But it sure beats putting Pablo out there on Crede's off days. Huff can also play OF ,1b and like the talented overbay, he can DH too. Overbay being limited to 1b and Dh is why Im not wetting myself over him. Why "Overpay for Overbay " when you have Paul and Gload who can play 1st; Carl ,who has played DH just fine, and Frank, who may still come back.

I'm going with Vizquel because I think another near .300 bat would have the biggest impact and I don't see how Huff or Overbay get in the lineup everyday like they should. I don't see Ozzie benching Everett or Konerko for extended periods of time, meaning those guys would be part of a logjam that would end up limiting their effectiveness. Wagner gets second place for me.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
I disagree strongly. Crede is abso-f***ing-lutely solid at 3B. His defense is top notch and his offense has been coming around. I have really warmed up to Crede and I hope he has a monster 2nd half. Imagine this:

Pods

Gooch

Overbay

Dye

PK

Rowand

AJ

Crede

Uribe

Wait another week or two on Crede. We've seen him pull this crap before.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
Wait another week or two on Crede. We've seen him pull this crap before.

3 months this season hitting above .275, and an OPS over .818 in those months.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 05:49 AM)
3 months this season hitting above .275, and an OPS over .818 in those months.

Crede still gives up a few too many outs on the plate with weak swings, but he's turned into one of our most dangerous hitters. While PK has just become a joke in the clutch, Crede actually adjusts his swing for the situation. An AL team can do a lot worse than having Crede batting 8th in the order, and having him play the hot corner as well as he does.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:51 AM)
Crede still gives up a few too many outs on the plate with weak swings, but he's turned into one of our most dangerous hitters.  While PK has just become a joke in the clutch, Crede actually adjusts his swing for the situation.  An AL team can do a lot worse than having Crede batting 8th in the order, and having him play the hot corner as well as he does.

I agree. At least Crede has shown glimpses of great ability. If we need someone to pop up or hit a solo HR with no weight on the outcome of the game, I want PK.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 06:18 PM)

And you can't use Huff the same way you'd use Overbay??? I'd want either guy, I'd absolutely love either guy.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 08:29 AM)
And you can't use Huff the same way you'd use Overbay???  I'd want either guy, I'd absolutely love either guy.

Quick question for ya: will a player coming from either the Brewers or the Devil Rays improve this team so dramatically you would feel more secure in the post-season?

When I think, bearing down for post-season play, I don't think promising youngster--something I would consider both Huff and Overbay.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
Quick question for ya: will a player coming from either the Brewers or the Devil Rays improve this team so dramatically you would feel more secure in the post-season?

When I think, bearing down for post-season play, I don't think promising youngster--something I would consider both Huff and Overbay.

How are they promising youngsters??? Huff's been an absolute stud the past few years and right now is getting himself back on track. Overbay was very solid last year and has been better this year, both guys have proven themselves, it's not like we'd be waiting for them to develop.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 08:34 AM)
How are they promising youngsters???  Huff's been an absolute stud the past few years and right now is getting himself back on track.  Overbay was very solid last year and has been better this year, both guys have proven themselves, it's not like we'd be waiting for them to develop.

When I think trade-dealine moves, I think proven veterans or someone with can't-miss success written all over him.

See, my ideal deadline move is very similar to what the Cardinals did last season to acquire Larry Walker. Walker was a proven veteran with a big stick and the burning desire to get a WS ring.

Overbay-though talented, would likely platoon and may or may not a significant amount of offensive fire-power

Huff-although more proven, isn't the type of guy that strikes fear in the hearts of his opponents; plus, neither one of these guys would provide a veteran spark.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 08:40 AM)
When I think trade-dealine moves, I think proven veterans or someone with can't-miss success written all over him.

See, my ideal deadline move is very similar to what the Cardinals did last season to acquire Larry Walker.  Walker was a proven veteran with a big stick and the burning desire to get a WS ring.

Overbay-though talented, would likely platoon and may or may not a significant amount of offensive fire-power

Huff-although more proven, isn't the type of guy that strikes fear in the hearts of his opponents; plus, neither one of these guys would provide a veteran spark.

Overbay is a great obp, high average hitter. He had over 50 doubles last year, just think about that for a second. Some of those doubles would definitely turn into homers. Overbay is 28 so it's not like we're trading for a 22 year old prospect here. Huff is a 30 homer, 100 rbi guy. He's just an awesome hitter and I disagree that he doesn't strike fear into the opposition. Huff is a great hitter and at this point of there careers I'd rather have Huff than Walker.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 08:40 AM)

See, my ideal deadline move is very similar to what the Cardinals did last season to acquire Larry Walker.  Walker was a proven veteran with a big stick and the burning desire to get a WS ring.

i think good players when i think improving teh team at the deadline. huff is a good player

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)

Overbay and Huff are much better players than Walker was last season. Both players would greatly improve our offense. Isn't it better to see Everett as our 4th outfielder, instead of Timo (I know, he's been swinging the bat better lately). This way, Timo can go back to being a bat off the bench for crucial situations instead of having to play some whole games.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)

The Sox had a deal worked out for Walker, but he wouldn't waive his no trade clause. Same with Carlos Delgado.

Once again, if Kenny doesn't get a deal done, it isn't for a lack of trying.