Biggest American superband ever...

southsider2k5

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elvis (he did have a standard backing band in his early days, of which Scotty Moore was the guitarist)

Aerosmith

KISS

Beach Boys

If Guns N Roses had stuck it out and Axl had not gone insane, they would have dwarfed everybody BUT The Beatles and Led Zep. Only under the debut album line-up though. The second Izzy left, they were screwed.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
Elvis (he did have a standard backing band in his early days, of which Scotty Moore was the guitarist)

Aerosmith

KISS

Beach Boys

If Guns N Roses had stuck it out and Axl had not gone insane, they would have dwarfed everybody BUT The Beatles and Led Zep. Only under the debut album line-up though. The second Izzy left, they were screwed.

Izzy could've stayed and they were still screwed.

Axl's ego and drugs/alcohol doomed that band. Steven Adler would be dead right now if he hadn't been kicked out.

Appetite For Destruction is one of rock's all-time masterpieces, though.

Edited by The Critic

If you are talking most quintessentially American band, then I'd say the Beach Boys, Eagles, Grateful Dead, NRBQ, and Big Star (who nobody has heard of but really should have). Album sales is another matter entirely,and I'm sure the record holders will be someone revolting like New Kids on the Block.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
Izzy could've stayed and they were still screwed.

Axl's ego and drugs/alcohol doomed that band. Steven Adler would be dead right now if he hadn't been kicked out.

Appetite For Destruction is one of rock's all-time masterpieces, though.

But the only way Izzy would have stayed would have been if Axl hadn't gone wacky. So, thereby, they would have been massive, even more than they were. Remember though, I am an avid GnR hater. I love Izzy solo though, so I am all cool with the outcome. :D

Ramones, Lifetime, Green Day (as much as they piss me off nowadays), you can see where my roots are :D

Edit: mine aren't really the most popular or successful bands of all time but ones who influenced culture and music a whole lot. Quintessential American bands that defined their genre.

Edited by Spiff

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
Ramones, Lifetime, Green Day (as much as they piss me off nowadays), you can see where my roots are :D

Edit: mine aren't really the most popular or successful bands of all time but ones who influenced culture and music a whole lot.  Quintessential American bands that defined their genre.

Lifetime??? Who are they? What genre did they define? From your others, I am thinking some form of Punk (though Green Day hardly defined it), but after years in the Punk trenches...I have never heard of them. Are they a newer band?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
I'm glad someone said the Eagles... I had totally forgot about them.  That would have to be my vote for they sales and longevity, to go along with their huge hits.

Longevity in how the music has stayed relevant? They took a little hiatus there, that many thought would never end, including the band.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
Longevity in how the music has stayed relevant? They took a little hiatus there, that many thought would never end, including the band.

Yeah, their music is still huge today. Heck they were the highest grossing concert last time they went out on tour.