Biggest American superband ever...

southsider2k5

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
Check out Michael Hedges version of "All Along The Watch Tower" off of his "Live On The Double Planet" album!!! HOOOOOO DOOOGGGGYYYY!!!

I'm surprised that you didn't include that song on any of the 14,876 CDs you gave me at the preseason game..... :D

And maybe I'll get shredded up for this, but the name Michael Hedges does not ring a bell.....does he duet with George Benson?

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
I'm surprised that you didn't include that song on any of the 14,876 CDs you gave me at the preseason game..... :D

And maybe I'll get shredded up for this, but the name Michael Hedges does not ring a bell.....does he duet with George Benson?

No, that's ROBERT Hedges, er Hegyes.

kotter9.jpg

And man are they Smokin'! :P

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)

http://www.nomadland.com/

One of the most unique guitarists to have lived in the past...ohhh...since the invention of the guitar. The man was amazing. He was unjustly labeled a "New Age" musician, which was a label he never really liked.

He was killed a few years ago when his car went over a cliff.

Listen to his stuff, and realize there is only ONE guitar being played, and it is usually ONE take.

Check out:

Ariel Boundaries

Breakfast In The Fields

Live On The Double Planet

They are always my pick for most under rated band of all time. In between the TOP 40, sells a lot of record, hits and some good, well crafted, tunes.

I also appreciate there lack of drama, angst, break ups to make ups, etc.

Ridin' the Storm Out, played really, really, loud, with the windows down and some good buddies is almost spiritual.

A personal fave

157 Riverside Avenue.

I have been on a personal mission to get them to Naperville RibFest.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
157 Riverside Avenue.

I have been on a personal mission to get them to Naperville RibFest.

When we had them at Porter County Fair they were pretty reasonable. I don't know how big their arena is but PC had seating for 4500, and they sold out.

Of great influence and historical significance, and I will probably get laughed at for this ... CSNY, with or without Neil.

Of course Neil is Canadian, Graham Nash is English, and both Crosby and Stills are from other planets, but the influence those guys have had over the years is immense.

Even from their earlier bands like Byrds, Hollies, Buffalo Springfield, just a huge influence.

The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Cheap Trick, REO Speedwagon all claim direct musical influence from members of CSNY.

Crosby and Stills for example, are connected with everyone. Stills and Kevin Cronin of REO are great friends, Stills and Clapton are friends (listen to the background guitar and vocals on "Let it Rain" ... Stills), Stills and Hendrix were runnin' buddies, it goes on and on.

Henley and Fry of the Eagles give direct credit to CSN for their early sound, and Don Felder and Stills went to high school together.

Nash sings harmony on about a million popular songs, too many to name.

Ever heard Bill Withers classic, "Ain't No Sunshine (When She's Gone)"? Stephen Stills on bass. Donovan's "Season of the Witch"? Stills on guitar.

And here's one for you ... "Jive Talkin" by the Bee Gees ... Stills, uncredited, on rhythm guitar.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
Then I'd like to also throw Crazy Horse into the mix.

Has anyone mentioned Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band?

Bruce and his gang were mentioned, but you can also add to it that you think they belong. Hard to deny it. Not a fan (is everybody getting the idea that I am a pain in the ass with the popular stuff?), but again...have to take my hat off to the man and his troup.

If I recall corrctly Milton Burle was in the band too, and the name of that band was Young, Gifted, and Black.

I'm trying to be whimsical here, but believe it or not, that is a REAL tough one to run with. :huh:

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
Bruce and his gang were mentioned, but you can also add to it that you think they belong. Hard to deny it. Not a fan (is everybody getting the idea that I am a pain in the ass with the popular stuff?), but again...have to take my hat off to the man and his troup.

I'm trying to be whimsical here, but believe it or not, that is a REAL tough one to run with.  :huh:

Milton Burle probably had a tough time running with it too.

Just be thankful there are things you don't know about Uncle Milty. :ph34r:

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
The thread has gone off into a tangent so I'm just going with the flow :)

I didn't see his name but he is a legend in his own right: http://www.yngwie.org/

I think you mean "a legend in his own MIND".

Wasn't he supposed to desicrate somebodies soul not too long ago? I wonder how that turned out for him.

We always just called him "Wingy". HE is to me what you folks are saying is Eddie. Wingy couldn't right a decent song to save his life. Alcatrazz actually became a decent band after he left, and they replaced him with that guy Vai.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
Just be thankful there are things you don't know about Uncle Milty. :ph34r:

Oh, I know MUCH about Berle. Remember, along with all this stuff, I am an avid collector of OTR (Old Time Radio). Not too much time passes before I hear a Milton show in my weeks. I just couldn't find a funny joke for all three of the people mentioned.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
I think you mean "a legend in his own MIND".

Wasn't he supposed to desicrate somebodies soul not too long ago? I wonder how that turned out for him.

We always just called him "Wingy". HE is to me what you folks are saying is Eddie. Wingy couldn't right a decent song to save his life. Alcatrazz actually became a decent band after he left, and they replaced him with that guy Vai.

You mean Steve Vai?