Concern?

White Sox Josh

Like I said. "Corpseball is officially back in season" Goddamn right it's a concern. Pods isn't stealing like he was at the beginning of the year. PK has gotten to the rest of the hitters and everyone is basically trying to pull. PK isn't really productive at all for a #4. Tad can't hit a curveball. What's really hurting us is that we're giving away these games defensively and pitching wise which is how we won games in the beginning of the year.

Remember, the playoffs aren't here yet and they might not come this year if we don't get our s*** in gear.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
Yeah i thought the offense changed to however according to Stats INC, the White Sox have score 40.3% of their runs off the Home Run.  Is the something we should be concerned about

Well, coming into the season i thought again we were gonna hit our share of HRs, but we do lead the league with sac flies and bunts, and SB I thing so we are tryin to play small ball..but we do have some slow hr hittin guys in the middle of the line up with the uppercut swings...Don't know how to change that..

QUOTE(GASHWOUND @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:54 PM)
Well, coming into the season i thought again we were gonna hit our share of HRs, but we do lead the league with sac flies and bunts, and SB I thing so we are tryin to play small ball..but we do have some slow hr hittin guys in the middle of the line up with the uppercut swings...Don't know how to change that..

Three Words:

"Fire Greg Walker"

I know that won't happen though. Especially this late into the season.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)
You have to at least question their offense when you lose 2 of 3 to the Royals.

The offense had one bad game. Today and yesterday if the DEFENSE does its job, no one is even talking about this. A day like today just gives the Chicken Little's of the world a chance to freak out for a couple of days.

The reason the White Sox are winning has nothing to do with this new offense being more "balanced". That's been pure BS. They have manufactured runs a little better than in the past, but its still not consistent. They still rely on the homerun, a lot more than they and their broadcasters want you to believe. Podsednik is stealing bases, perhaps wreeking havoc on pitchers, but he's only on pace to score 92 runs. That's not that many for a successful leadoff hitter on a team with the White Sox record. Lee and Ordonez were .300 hitters, to go along with their power. Losing Valentin might have balanced it a bit, but Uribe is really struggling. The reason the White Sox have the record they do is the pitching, and only the pitching. If the pitching were this good in 2003, the White Sox would have been in the playoffs and perhaps won the World Series. Jerry Manuel would still be a manager, and you still would not ever of heard the term Ozzieball. There's no reason to panic, this formula appears to be working.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
The reason the White Sox are winning has nothing to do with this new offense being more "balanced". That's been pure BS. They have manufactured runs a little better than in the past, but its still not consistent. They still rely on the homerun, a lot more than they and their broadcasters want you to believe.  Podsednik is stealing bases, perhaps wreeking havoc on pitchers, but he's only on pace to score 92 runs. That's not that many for a successful leadoff hitter on a team with the White Sox record. Lee and Ordonez were .300 hitters, to go along with their power.  Losing Valentin might have balanced it a bit, but Uribe is really struggling. The reason the White Sox have the record they do is the pitching, and only the pitching. If the pitching were this good in 2003, the White Sox would have been in the playoffs and perhaps won the World Series. Jerry Manuel would still be a manager, and you still would not ever of heard the term Ozzieball. There's no reason to panic, this formula appears to be working.

By "formula" do you mean the emphasis on pitching? You are correct that the much ballyhooed "new offense" is still a lot like the White Sox of 2000-04. As for me I don't think the sky is falling but it doesn't seem to be quite as high as it once was. This White Sox team has been in some mini funks before and managed to bounce back. The next month or so is very important. I've enjoyed this season as much as anyone, but there are still a few hills to climb. There is cause for concern. Panic? No.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)
Three Words:

"Fire Greg Walker"

I know that won't happen though. Especially this late into the season.

Sounds like a great idea.

Too many upper cut homer or nothing hitters on the team. I never saw so many guys sub 260. Its like we have a bunch of Rob Deers on the team. Konkero is a solo homer or nothing guy.

Last year we would score a ton of runs one day and then struggle for runs the next few nights only scoring their runs on homers.

We score a ton on monday and then we struggle to score the next few nights. The only runs we score are via the dong.

Sounds like 2004 without 2 300 hitters in the lineup to me.

I know Hernandez is a great pitcher for the Royals and all, but he was 1 hitting us until he had a bad inning, that was bad because we hit some homers.

Mediocre to Good pitching shuts this offense down. Look at what happened when we faced Wade Miller. El Duque pitched his ass off, and we lost because the girls couldnt string a few hits together.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:50 PM)
Like I said. "Corpseball is officially back in season" Goddamn right it's a concern. Pods isn't stealing like he was at the beginning of the year. PK has gotten to the rest of the hitters and everyone is basically trying to pull. PK isn't really productive at all for a #4. Tad can't hit a curveball. What's really hurting us is that we're giving away these games defensively and pitching wise which is how we won games in the beginning of the year.

Remember, the playoffs aren't here yet and they might not come this year if we don't get our s*** in gear.

That's true. In last Sat. game against Boston Konerko flied out weakly to right trying to go the other way with man on. On Sunday with men on he hit the ball sherply to left and scored the runners. If you are going to beat a dead hjorse so am I. Some people just can't hit the ball with authority the opposite way. All they do is pop it up or fly out. I don't know your background but if you'ver been around baseball long enough you should know some people just can't do it. It's nice to say it but sometimes it's just not possible and you rob them of power.

By the way, many people in the MLB community criticize Walker for teaching the Charlie Lau theory of hitting too much and robbing them of power. Just food for thought.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 10:01 PM)
One of my biggest concerns is that our pitchers aren't pitching over the mistakes made by the rest of the team like they were early in the year.  Lately, if we make an error, it leads to all hell breaking loose.

good observation. Yeah I think the top of the order, with Podsednik, is not taking walks like he used to. He needs to take more pitches and work the count more. The middle of the order is too inconsistent. Like many have written, PK is way to streaky to be batting fourth. Pierznski is starting to heat up as well as Rowand but the bottom of the order, with Uribe especially, sucks. His only strenght at offense is that he is good at getting sacrifice flies but witha all his struggles at the plate, he is by far the worst hitter on the team. He strikes out way too much and chases to many bad pitches. He needs to work on pitch selection and he has to follow through his swing. He always staggers at the end of his swing.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
Does anyone know what our run per game average is with Thomas in the lineup, compared to out of it?  It's so painfully obvious that our biggest need is a offensive weapon.

When Frank starts: 149 runs/28 games=5.32 runs/game

Without Frank: 336 runs/72 games=4.67 runs/game

Overall: 485/100=4.85 r/g

The 5.32 runs/game would be 4th in the league. Frank returned at about the same time that Dye and Konerko started to hit, so I'm not sure how much of the difference can be attributed to him.

QUOTE(Andy Frain @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 05:42 AM)
When Frank starts:  149 runs/28 games=5.32 runs/game

Without Frank:  336 runs/72 games=4.67 runs/game

Overall:  485/100=4.85 r/g

The 5.32 runs/game would be 4th in the league.  Frank returned at about the same time that Dye and Konerko started to hit, so I'm not sure how much of the difference can be attributed to him.

Congrats on the terrific first post.

QUOTE(Andy Frain @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:42 AM)

The 5.32 runs/game would be 4th in the league.  Frank returned at about the same time that Dye and Konerko started to hit, so I'm not sure how much of the difference can be attributed to him.

One of the best 1st posts in a while! WELCOME!!!!!!!! :cheers :gosox3: :headbang

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
I never saw so many guys sub 260. 

Scott Podsednik - .302

Aaron Rowand - .291

Tadahito Iguchi - .277

Jermaine Dye - .268

Pablo Ozuna - .290 (not regular)

Chris Widger - .282 (not regular)

Just under;

Carl Everett - .259

Paul Konerko - .258

A.J Pierzynski - .255

Joe Crede - .253

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:46 AM)
Scott Podsednik - .302

Aaron Rowand - .291

Tadahito Iguchi - .277

Jermaine Dye - .268

Pablo Ozuna - .290 (not regular)

Chris Widger - .282 (not regular)

Just under;

Carl Everett - .259

Paul Konerko - .258

A.J Pierzynski - .255

Joe Crede - .253

IMO, PWNED. :headbang

QUOTE(Andy Frain @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 12:42 AM)

How did you get your title changed after 1 post