Concern?

White Sox Josh

The more I think about things, the more it's obvious that if KW wants to go for it all, he should use his trade chips to acquire an offensive difference maker. First, there's no pitcher on the market that would be a significant upgrade over Contreras. More importantly to me, besides for helping our offense, the player would be able to help on a daily basis. A starter or a closer would be used more less frequently.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
Yeah i thought the offense changed to however according to Stats INC, the White Sox have score 40.3% of their runs off the Home Run.  Is the something we should be concerned about

Opposing pitchers are trying hard to keep pods off base.. We are so much more effective when he has a good day. However: the rest of the line up is not a small ball team. When Frank batted 3rd he can't run Konerko can be put in that category. The third hitter should be someone who can hit it to the right sidel like Iguchi has been so effective if Arow could hit that way great but he's usually a dead pull hitter. Man on third arow. konerko, frank hit the ball to third man on third doesn't advance and is confined to third.. How many times last year and this year has it happened? If that same ball is hit to the right side we stand so much better of a chance in that scenario.

Does anyone have the % of runs scored on homers for the entire league? My vote is that our number isn't that unusual. Just looking at the Red Sox, they're at about 22% even if you assume that every homerun was a solo shot, and using the same assumption with the Rangers they're already at a whopping 31%.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:35 AM)
Yeah i thought the offense changed to however according to Stats INC, the White Sox have score 40.3% of their runs off the Home Run.  Is the something we should be concerned about

Why? :huh:

Actually if you listened to Ozzie, Kenny, and company during times like Soxfest, they never said they were going to reduce the HRs or the amount of runs that they scored because of them. What they said was that they wanted to balance out their offense and make sure that they were scoring runs on a more regular basis, so that they weren't scoring 15 runs one day, and 2 in each of the next 3 games.

I know that others have crunched the numbers, and largely the Sox have been very successful at this as their variances between how many runs they scoring games is way down, as is their standard deviations. You can pretty much bet the Sox will score 3, 4, or 5 runs every day, within a reasonable standard deviation.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
Actually if you listened to Ozzie, Kenny, and company during times like Soxfest, they never said they were going to reduce the HRs or the amount of runs that they scored because of them.  What they said was that they wanted to balance out their offense and make sure that they were scoring runs on a more regular basis, so that they weren't scoring 15 runs one day, and 2 in each of the next 3 games.

I know that others have crunched the numbers, and largely the Sox have been very successful at this as their variances between how many runs they scoring games is way down, as is their standard deviations.  You can pretty much bet the Sox will score 3, 4, or 5 runs every day, within a reasonable standard deviation.

oh no i know that. However i did expect maybe less of their runs coming off of the Home Run.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
oh no i know that.  However i did expect maybe less of their runs coming off of the Home Run.

Basically, he is saying that the offense will not score 13 one game and then score 4 combined in the next 5 games. More consistent run scoring has helped the Sox this year, no matter what anybody thinks. The runs per game may be down but the consistency is there, just not as of late.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Basically, he is saying that the offense will not score 13 one game and then score 4 combined in the next 5 games. More consistent run scoring has helped the Sox this year, no matter what anybody thinks. The runs per game may be down but the consistency is there, just not as of late.

yea no i know that. I knew they wouldn't lose that much power. The offense does rely on Pods though and he needs to start stealing those bases again. Hawk says that sometimes guys like Pods will go 8-10 games without stealing a base or getting caught and than steal 20 consecutive bases in like 15 days.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
yea no i know that.  I knew they wouldn't lose that much power.  The offense does rely on Pods though and he needs to start stealing those bases again.  Hawk says that sometimes guys like Pods will go 8-10 games without stealing a base or getting caught and than steal 20 consecutive bases in like 15 days.

Basestealing is just like home run hitting, you can't force it. It all depends on match ups of who is pitching and catching, and what they give you.

Geez, you need to get a life. You get banned from WSI because you are an annoying bastard, then yoiu have to come to Soxtalk and be an annoying bastard on this board?

i hope it doesnt have a This thread Sucks image.

f*** you White Sox Josh you annoying son of a b****. :finger

QUOTE(TimoandAaron @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 12:22 AM)
Geez, you need to get a life. You get banned from WSI because you are an annoying bastard, then yoiu have to come to Soxtalk and be an annoying bastard on this board?

I hope you enjoyed your stay here at SoxTalk....good bye.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 06:43 PM)
Actually if you listened to Ozzie, Kenny, and company during times like Soxfest, they never said they were going to reduce the HRs or the amount of runs that they scored because of them.  What they said was that they wanted to balance out their offense and make sure that they were scoring runs on a more regular basis, so that they weren't scoring 15 runs one day, and 2 in each of the next 3 games.

I know that others have crunched the numbers, and largely the Sox have been very successful at this as their variances between how many runs they scoring games is way down, as is their standard deviations.  You can pretty much bet the Sox will score 3, 4, or 5 runs every day, within a reasonable standard deviation.

Standard deviations basically means scoring one run one night, and seven the next night? And, while it averages out to four, you have a better shot of winning both games by scoring four one night and four the next?

QUOTE(TimoandAaron @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 04:22 AM)
Geez, you need to get a life.   You get banned from WSI because you are an annoying bastard, then yoiu have to come to Soxtalk and be an annoying bastard on this board?

What in the Hell did you smoke?? Huh!! Who gives you the right to lauch a tirade like that, If he's annoying we will ignore him just like we you ignore you. Sheesh Grow up and stay off the harsh s*** :chair

PS. If you don't like it here go back to read insiderinfo's annoying posts at WSI

Thanks, Have a nice day :stupid

Edited by JoshPR

I would be interested to see the home/road splits on that statistic. The Sox have played better on the road than at home this season. I think playing half our games at a park where the longball dominates the scoring is the reason for this.

The trend for the past few years has been to move the fences in, but that is really counterproductive when you are trying to build a team around pitching and defense with a little Ozzieball thrown in.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 12:49 AM)
Standard deviations basically means scoring one run one night, and seven the next night?  And, while it averages out to four, you have a better shot of winning both games by scoring four one night and four the next?

Pretty much you hit it right on the head. Standard deviations are the amount of variences that you can expect based on a certian percentage of occurances.

It's these kind of threads that absolutely piss me off. Corpseball you say?

The team is hitting .270 in the months of June & July with an OPS in the high 700 - low 800 range. How is that corpseball? Thomas' arrival weakened the team bat averaging which means the everyday guys are hitting better than .270 in that time.

Now here's a stat I just worked out. DYK that 23 of the Sox 35 L's are games in which the Sox had at least 1 fielding error? Most of those games were close so the error likely cost us. DYK that the remaining 12 L's came against teams that were playing better than .500? With the exception of the Cubs, & the Tigers they represent the #1,#2 teams in their division today.

So no this is not the '69 Cubs team. If we play errorless ball the odds are in our favor to win. Top to bottom our team is that good!

Edited by JUGGERNAUT