The calm before the storm?

VAfan

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
I'm a physical therapist and athletic trainer. HGH is not only left out of the MLB agreement but also NFL. It's because of the blood sampling that the unions have kept it out. You're right about the development of the new ones.

There may be a few takers for Bonds. But with the uncertainty about the steriods and the knee, I think it will scare most off. Did you know that the surgreon he went to has had his medical license revoked for un ethical practice before? He goes to this guy because he will do what he wants. Many teams are leary of this.

That is not entirely true. HGH is not left out of the MLB policy. It is an actual banned substance by MLB. The problem is that they don't have a test for it. So it really doesn't matter if it is banned or not if they don't test for it. But it is a banned substance by MLB.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
Again, Anaheim and a some other teams like don'e mind spending money wouldn't give 2 s***s abot his contract. He would bring enough fans in to the stadim chasing the home run record that the contract wouldn't even matter.

The Juice? HA!! OK. In Barry's case I don't think it is the juice that is helping him. Now if they outlawed body armor and elbow pads in baseball then we may see a different player than the old Bonds.

Expensiveness as to what other teams would have to give up? I can't see it being a lot as SF would be stuck between a rock and a hard place. If his knee does not allow him to play the field where the hell are the Giants going to play him? They have no choice but to trade him. If every team knows this do you really think they are going to pay a lot to get him?

I don't think you are thinking this through completely.

Maybe I'm not but explain to me how 1 big elbow pad helps him hit???

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 07:13 PM)
Maybe I'm not but explain to me how 1 big elbow pad helps him hit???

OK, it allows him to stand as close to the plate as he wants. If an inside pitch comes in it deson't bother him. He doesn't care about getting knocked off the plate, he will just put that big pad up to protect himself. Since a pitcher can't throw inside he is able to cover the whole plate, which is why his batting average, walk total, and on-base percentage is so high as well as his home run total.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
OK, it allows him to stand as close to the plate as he wants. If an inside pitch comes in it deson't bother him. He doesn't care about getting knocked off the plate, he will just put that big pad up to protect himself. Since a pitcher can't throw inside he is able to cover the whole plate, which is why his batting average, walk total,  and on-base percentage is so high as well as his home run total.

Bonds is on steroids, case closed.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
OK, it allows him to stand as close to the plate as he wants. If an inside pitch comes in it deson't bother him. He doesn't care about getting knocked off the plate, he will just put that big pad up to protect himself. Since a pitcher can't throw inside he is able to cover the whole plate, which is why his batting average, walk total,  and on-base percentage is so high as well as his home run total.

So by that logic, how come Frank Thomas doesn't have as many HR's on him or hits them at a pace Barry Bonds does? I don't buy that argument a bit. Bonds loves the ball inside so he could turn on it. Using your logic, pitchers wouldn't pitch inside therefore decreasing his HR total.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 07:16 PM)
1)I don't see Bonds getting traded.

2)Elbow pads don't help driving balls out of the ballpark.

wrong on both accounts

1) you don't know this Nostradamus

2) It helps him to become more selective in order to find a pitch he can drive out of the park. He is not one of the best hitters in the game only because he hits home runs, but also because of his high on base percentage, walk total, and average.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
1)I don't see Bonds getting traded.

2)Elbow pads don't help driving balls out of the ballpark.

I agree, but the pad does take the fear away which is a large part of gaining the advantage over a pitcher.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
So by that logic, how come Frank Thomas doesn't have as many HR's on him or hits them at a pace Barry Bonds does? I don't buy that argument a bit. Bonds loves the ball inside so he could turn on it. Using your logic, pitchers wouldn't pitch inside therefore decreasing his HR total.

Nonsense. Where does Frank stand? He doesn't have the same kind of attitude Bonds does towards it. Maybe he should.

He can still get the ball inside, however an inside pitch would be almost down the middle of the plate because he stands so close to the plate.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
wrong on both accounts

1) you don't know this Nostradamus

2) It helps him to become more selective in order to find a pitch he can drive out of the park. He is not one of the best hitters in the game only because he hits home runs, but also because of his high on base percentage, walk total, and average.

Oh yeah, I forgot, the big bad elbow pad is going to jump out and hit the pitcher right in the face if he hits him there. It's a non-issue. If it a pitcher wants to brush him off, he could. Simply give him credit for being able to hit the ball, steroids or not. The elbow pad is not the difference between a HR and a single.

Barry Bonds: 93 HBP in 2716 games in his career. Since 2000:

2000- 3

2001- 9

2002- 9

2003- 10

2004- 9

Previous to 2001, he had been hit 8 times in 1 season twice. 6 times once. And 5 times twice. Those are low HBP totals....

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 07:21 PM)
Oh yeah, I forgot, the big bad elbow pad is going to jump out and hit the pitcher right in the face if he hits him there. It's a non-issue. If it a pitcher wants to brush him off, he could. Simply give him credit for being able to hit the ball, steroids or not. The elbow pad is not the difference between a HR and a single.

What? Hit the pitcher in the face.. ok.. I don't know what that has to do with anything.

He doesn't get brushed off because there is no need for him to move.

I never said the elbow pad made a difference between a single and a HR. Where did I say that? Do you want to go back and read my posts? It does allow him to be more selective and allow him to get a pitch to drive.

Look at Carl Everett and how damn close he stand to the plate. He doesn't hit 50 HR's a year. Compare Bonds HBP #'s to Biggio who gets hit over 20 times a year. 256 HBP in 300 less career games. He wears an elbow pad. He stands close to the plate. Yet, he averages 15 HR's a year.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 07:23 PM)
Thanks for the insight. Couldn't answer it because you know its a contradictory statement. How come Gary Sheffield who uses the same elbow pad as Bonds doesn't have as many HR's as either Bonds or Thomas??

I didn't know Sheffield was a home run hitter. Sheffield seems to hit more line drives than anything else. Sheffield was supposedly on steroids as well and was in the same Balco investigation. Maybe steroids has nothing to do with it either.

Where did I say this makes him hit more home runs? You are arguing nonsense.

QUOTE(Finkelstein @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
Bottom line is Bonds hits HR's because he is f***ing GOOD, not because of the armor.  But I do think that the armor gives hitters an unfair advantage over the pitchers.

Wow, you guys are making it sound like he wears a Knight's oufit. He's not the only one to wear an elbow pad. Yet, he hits more HR's than anyone else.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
Wow, you guys are making it sound like he wears a Knight's oufit. He's not the only one to wear an elbow pad. Yet, he hits more HR's than anyone else.

anyone else find this conversation pointless to be talking about near the deadline?