The calm before the storm?

VAfan

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
Are you kidding? Ozzie is a very proactive manager. His style is very proactive. I still don't understand why it pisses you off, you are contradicting yourself. If you know that this is what they have to say and that it really has no effect on what they are actually doing then why is it pissing you off? No one is planning anything before it's a sure thing. Like you said, they have to say it, I don't see how it pisses you off.

Yes. You are completely right. If Ozzie wasn't managing this ballclub we'd have the best record in the league!

(Wait a second ....)

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 04:12 AM)
Yes. You are completely right. If Ozzie wasn't managing this ballclub we'd have the best record in the league!

(Wait a second ....)

Wow, do I hate that response. I never knew they give out the Manager of the Year at the end of July? Maybe Frank Robinson might want to give his Manager of the Year trophy back from the end of June?

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 04:12 AM)

(Wait a second ....)

BTW, I didn't mean the Ozzie proactive/reactive stuff in a negative way. I don't think it's a secret though that he tends to leave his starting pitchers in way, way too long (before today :chair ).

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
I don't think anyone could be pissed at KW, no matter what.  The guy pulled this team out of his ass, and it's a huge success.

I will, however, be pissed at the situation.  I won't blame KW, Ozzie, JR, etc.  There will be no one to blame, but I'll still be pissed off.

The way this team has played the last few weeks shows that they need a kick in the ass to get them going.  They seem to think they have the division wrapped up or something.  They certainly aren't playing anywhere near the way they once played.

Excellent post.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
I don't think anyone could be pissed at KW, no matter what.  The guy pulled this team out of his ass, and it's a huge success.

I will, however, be pissed at the situation.  I won't blame KW, Ozzie, JR, etc.  There will be no one to blame, but I'll still be pissed off.

What's exactly the situation you're refering to? Is it that there's limited players on the market worthy of trading prospects/positional player, or the possibility of Williams standing pat with our current roster?

You can't always be fortunate enough to hold the best record in franchise history during a relatively weak trading market. I expect Williams to make some move, whatever it may be, because this team has not convinced me it is built to contend for a World Series.

Takes two to tango, yes. But it's his job to lure potential partners. He better make a move, or else the finger is pointed at him in October if this club fails to advance far into the playoffs.

How can Williams justify to fans not doing ANYTHING to strengthen this team? He can't. And I'm sure he realizes this.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 11:59 PM)
What's exactly the situation you're refering to? Is it that there's limited players on the market worthy of trading prospects/positional player, or the possibility of Williams standing pat with our current roster?

You can't always be fortunate enough to hold the best record in franchise history during a relatively weak trading market. I expect Williams to make some move, whatever it may be, because this team has not convinced me it is built to contend for a World Series. 

Takes two to tango, yes. But it's his job to lure potential partners. He better make a move, or else the finger is pointed at him in October if this club fails to advance far into the playoffs.

How can Williams justify to fans not doing ANYTHING to strengthen this team? He can't. And I'm sure he realizes this.

I do expect him to do something. I'm just saying that it's a seller's market this year, and there just really might not be a fit out there. Take Huff and Baez as an example. TB might as for too many regulars on the roster to make the deal even worth making. They might not take the prospects we throw at them. For Schmidt, they said they might want two starters. I'm sure that's wrong, but maybe SF will stick to their guns. Then, the trade would be useless.

For some reason, I just don't forsee any trades going down with the Sox involved. I don't know why, but I think KW is gonna stand pat, which is a mistake in my opinion.

I really hope I'm wrong though...

QUOTE(Cali @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:50 AM)
For some reason, I just don't forsee any trades going down with the Sox involved. I don't know why, but I think KW is gonna stand pat, which is a mistake in my opinion.

I really hope I'm wrong though...

If KW does stand pat, it won't be because he decided that standing pat is what he should do. He will have done it because it was his best option based on the trade possibilities that were out there. In other words, teams were asking way to much for any trade to make sense. He's certainly been trying.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:31 AM)
If KW does stand pat, it won't be because he decided that standing pat is what he should do.  He will have done it because it was his best option based on the trade possibilities that were out there.  In other words, teams were asking way to much for any trade to make sense.  He's certainly been trying.

Exactly. I hope people around here realize that if nothing does go down. But, of course, will probably have 15 "Kenny is a s***ty gm" threads come Sunday instead.

Edited by Jordan4life_2005

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:40 AM)
Exactly.  I hope people around here realize that if nothing does go down.  But,  of course,  will probably have 15 "Kenny is a s***ty gm" threads come Sunday instead.

Thank you, oh enlightened one.

Obviously, if Kenny doesn't make a deal, some dogs*** team was trying to fleece him and, damn, we have the best record in baseball. STILL!!!

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 04:00 AM)
Thank you, oh enlightened one.

Obviously, if Kenny doesn't make a deal, some dogs*** team was trying to fleece him and, damn, we have the best record in baseball.  STILL!!!

Are you saying KW should allow himself to get fleeced?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 12:31 AM)
If KW does stand pat, it won't be because he decided that standing pat is what he should do.  He will have done it because it was his best option based on the trade possibilities that were out there.  In other words, teams were asking way to much for any trade to make sense.  He's certainly been trying.

Well I'm gonna assume that he stands pat because he believes this team as it is now, can win the Wordl Series. I disagree. This team can certainly win the division, maybe even a first round win, but I don't think it can get to the WS as is. Crazier things have happened, I mean, who thought Florida could win it in '03? I hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE(Cali @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 04:35 AM)
Well I'm gonna assume that he stands pat because he believes this team as it is now, can win the Wordl Series. I disagree. This team can certainly win the division, maybe even a first round win, but I don't think it can get to the WS as is. Crazier things have happened, I mean, who thought Florida could win it in '03? I hope I'm wrong.

Assuming he's standing pat for that reason doesn't make sense, as we know he has been attempting to make trades. It's well documented they've been in discussions with the Marlins. It's also been reported conversations have taken place with the DRays, Yankees, Giants and Dodgers. That doesn't sound like a GM that WANTS to stand pat.

Edited to add: To further me point, he's still trying to 'not stand pat'.

Williams was still talking to Philadelphia about closer Billy Wagner as late as Tuesday in hopes of changing the Phillies' minds on a deal. However, the Phillies, who still believe they will make a playoff push, informed Williams they are standing firm on their decision to keep Wagner.
Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 04:04 AM)
Are you watching the same games I do?  Ozzie's one of the least proactive managers in baseball.  Yes, the timing is weird today because of his quick hook with Garland.  However, Ozzie always seems shocked that one of his pitchers is getting in trouble late in the game.  Instead of anticipating a pitcher possibly having trouble the 4th time around the lineup, he ends up waiting too long, and either the pitcher gives up runs, or the reliever gets brought in for a tough situation.

s***, that is not even close to the same. That is having confidence and trust in your SP that our other manager never had. Proactive is getting Shingo out of the closer role before he does more damage to the team or Billy Koch last year. I haven't seen too many times when our SP has had that much trouble and neither have the rest of by looking at the starting rotation's ERA. I don't know what the hell games you are watching.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 04:15 AM)
Wow, do I hate that response.  I never knew they give out the Manager of the Year at the end of July?  Maybe Frank Robinson might want to give his Manager of the Year trophy back from the end of June?

You really think at the endo fo June Frank Robinson would have won? I still think it would have went to Bobby Cox for keeping his team in it with a bunch of injuries and a whole lot of rookies playing in key positions for him. One of the managers Ozzie learned from by the way. Cox would have had my vote.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:45 AM)
Assuming he's standing pat for that reason doesn't make sense, as we know he has been attempting to make trades.  It's well documented they've been in discussions with the Marlins.  It's also been reported conversations have taken place with the DRays, Yankees, Giants and Dodgers.  That doesn't sound like a GM that WANTS to stand pat.

Edited to add:  To further me point, he's still trying to 'not stand pat'.

http://www.nj.com/mets/ledger/index.ssf?/b...7070.xml&coll=1

The Phillies are one of the teams trying to get Baez, and the reason is they believe they can trade closer Billy Wagner for a starting pitcher. Both the Red Sox and White Sox have indicated to Philadelphia they might be interested in sending A.J. Burnett there in exchange for Wagner if they could get Burnett from the Marlins."

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:40 AM)
Exactly.  I hope people around here realize that if nothing does go down.  But,  of course,  will probably have 15 "Kenny is a s***ty gm" threads come Sunday instead.

It's his job to improve this ballclub. I won't feel sorry or simply credit Williams for trying. Before this season began, members were suggesting if Williams failed to sign certain players we could always trade for appropriate pieces around the deadline. Well, now that we're 11 games ahead of the Twins and preparing ourselves for October baseball, some are conceeding a quiet trade front for our Sox? I won't post a "Kenny is a s***ty gm" thread, but I'll contribute. You can't just sit still with this team. It's that simple.

I'm fully aware any significant move will cost us several prized prospects. But at this juncture, you have to ask yourself if several players may be expendable for this particular team.

Despite our position in the standings, many here realize this team is far from a lock for World Series contention. As I stated in the previous post, Williams will have to answer the sames questions again in October if this team falls flat in the first round:

"Mr. Williams, do you regret not making any significant move at the trading dealine to improve your bullpen, offense?"

He'll answer accordingly and sight the same reasons you people have alluded to: weak market, greedy GM's, faith in current lineup.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 06:31 AM)
I'm just afraid this is the calm before the calm.

it may not be a storm, but i can guarantee it will rain some. KW will make a move. its almost a certainty in my mind, whether its big or small

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 11:59 PM)

Have you seen what teams are asking for their players? We aren't JUST talking about minor leaguers like in years past, we are talking about 2-3 players off of our 25 man roster. We would actually be openning more holes than we were filling in these deals. How can anyone justify adding holes to the roster of the best team in baseball? That is what I don't understand.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 06:48 AM)
Have you seen what teams are asking for their players?  We aren't JUST talking about minor leaguers like in years past, we are talking about 2-3 players off of our 25 man roster.  We would actually be openning more holes than we were filling in these deals.  How can anyone justify adding holes to the roster of the best team in baseball?  That is what I don't understand.

teams were asking for that early thinkin they had the leverage, but really the fact that no significant deals have happened yet, really favors the buyers, because the sellers will now feel if they really wanna get something in return for a guy like burnett, then they will have to take what is offered. a team like tampa however, CAN keep their stakes up high for huff, because they can trade huff in the offseason instead of now. but i think the teams that really wanna deal, like florida will end up having to "settle" for top prospects as opposed to major league players

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 07:57 AM)
teams were asking for that early thinkin they had the leverage, but really the fact that no significant deals have happened yet, really favors the buyers, because the sellers will now feel if they really wanna get something in return for a guy like burnett, then they will have to take what is offered. a team like tampa however, CAN keep their stakes up high for huff, because they can trade huff in the offseason instead of now. but i think the teams that really wanna deal, like florida will end up having to "settle" for top prospects as opposed to major league players

It goes both ways. With a limited number of teams willing to deal away players, contenders might panic trying to get a leg up on their competition and overpay to do it, knowing that there are only a few days left and other people want the same players.