The calm before the storm?

VAfan

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
Wow, you guys are making it sound like he wears a Knight's oufit. He's not the only one to wear an elbow pad. Yet, he hits more HR's than anyone else.

That's because he is better than anyone else, IMO. :P

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 07:27 PM)
Look at Carl Everett and how damn close he stand to the plate. He doesn't hit 50 HR's a year. Compare Bonds HBP #'s to Biggio who gets hit over 20 times a year. 256 HBP in 300 less career games. He wears an elbow pad. He stands close to the plate. Yet, he averages 15 HR's a year.

Jesus f***ing Christ kid.

Carl Everett does stand on top of the plate, but does not wear body armor. The pitcher can brush hm off the plate as much as he wants and Carl WILL move. Bonds has no need to as he is protected.

They won't pitch Bonds inside.

Biggio doesn't stand on top of the plate. Closer than Frank, but not right on top of it like Bonds or Crazy Carl. He sometimes puts his elbow out there to get plunked. He has tried to get hit at times. I have never seen Bonds do that.

Without Steroids, Bonds is still the 3rd best Leftfielder of all time.

If he is on steroids, I question how much they actually do. Look at Giambi now without steroids, his #s the past month or so were the same as they were with steroids. Nothing has been proved about the effect steroids has on power. The only thing that has been proven is that it makes your body heal quicker. I'm not saying that steroids don't add power, I'm just saying I don't know for sure we can say that.

Also, for my money, Bonds 04 was the greatest year by a hitter, ever.

Edited by SHAFTR

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 07:33 PM)
Without Steroids, Bonds is still the 3rd best Leftfielder of all time.

If he is on steroids, I question how much they actually do.  Look at Giambi now without steroids, his #s the past month or so were the same as they were with steroids. Nothing has been proved about the effect steroids has on power.  The only thing that has been proven is that it makes your body heal quicker.  I'm not saying that steroids add power, I'm just saying I don't know for sure we can say that.

Maybe he is on HGH?!?!

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)

Carl Everett does stand on top of the plate, but does not wear body armor. The pitcher can brush hm off the plate as much as he wants and Carl WILL move. Bonds has no need to as he is protected.

Biggio doesn't stand on top of the plate. Closer than Frank, but not right on top of it like Bonds or Crazy Carl. He sometimes puts his elbow out there to get plunked. He has tried to get hit at times. I have never seen Bonds do that.

Bonds does move. Did you not see him the game where Prior plunked him and he was getting pissed off at Prior? All the elbow pad does it make a HBP hurt less. You could still aim for his legs and his head if you really think that his elbow pad has the magical power to allow him to hit more homers. Again, Frank and Sheffield and Biggio all wear armor and crowd the plate, you don't see them hitting a crazy # of HR's.

Bonds is probably the greatest player ever, bar none. Even before he was suspected of juicing, he was a force in the batters box and on the basepaths, not to mention in the field. The guy has accomplished more in his career than almost anyone else. This argument is pointless.

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)

2002 was arguabley better. More HR's, RBIs, higher AVG, more SB, more Hits, more 2Bs, and less GIDP.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 07:35 PM)
Bonds does move. Did you not see him the game where Prior plunked him and he was getting pissed off at Prior? All the elbow pad does it make a HBP hurt less. You could still aim for his legs and his head if you really think that his elbow pad has the magical power to allow him to hit more homers. Again, Frank and Sheffield and Biggio all wear armor and crowd the plate, you don't see them hitting a crazy # of HR's.

So did he move or did he get hit? Which is it?

Frank crowds the plate that is news to me.

Again. I was never arguing it helps him hit home runs. Get that through your f***ing head.

Point out to me where I said that at anytime and I will admit I am wrong on this whole argument.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
Bonds is probably the greatest player ever, bar none.  Even before he was suspected of juicing, he was a force in the batters box and on the basepaths, not to mention in the field.  The guy has accomplished more in his career than almost anyone else.  This argument is pointless.

Before steroids, he was one of the greatest. With steroids, he is the greatest.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
Bonds is probably the greatest player ever, bar none.  Even before he was suspected of juicing, he was a force in the batters box and on the basepaths, not to mention in the field.  The guy has accomplished more in his career than almost anyone else.  This argument is pointless.

You Barry Bonds apologist!

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
2002 was arguabley better. More HR's, RBIs, higher AVG, more SB, more Hits, more 2Bs, and less GIDP.

I go with 04 b/c he had the best OBP & OPS of all time. His slug% that year was 4th all time.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
So did he move or did he get hit? Which is it?

Frank crowds the plate that is news to me.

Again. I was never arguing it helps him hit home runs. Get that through your f***ing head.

Point out to me where I said that at anytime and I will admit I am wrong on this whole argument.

He got hit, and then he proceeded to move. It's possible you know in the game of baseball.

And the argument from what I see is that the elbow pad helps him hit HR's. If not, then what the f*** are you arguing about?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)

1. Calm the f*** down killer.

2. If your gonna tell me Bonds doesnt move on brush-back pitches than your f***ing crazy. He is a human being, not a robot. Natural reflexes are to get your ass out of the way of a pitching coming at you! WTF are you talking about!?!?!

3. IN bold your saying he never tries to hit himself, yet, earlier, all you were saying is that he doesnt get out of the way, ever. How does that make sense?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
He got hit, and then he proceeded to move. It's possible you know in the game of baseball.

And the argument from what I see is that the elbow pad helps him hit HR's. If not, then what the f*** are you arguing about?

Why would he move after he got hit by the ball? I don't understand. He got hit by the ball and then tried to get out of the way? Why would someone do that?

You started the argument. All along I said I was not arguing the home run point, but you kept insisting I was. I argued that it made him a better overall hitter. Look at my posts. I even included on base percentage, batting average, and walks. Go back and check it out wise guy.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
Before steroids, he was one of the greatest.  With steroids, he is the greatest.

You will never know if thats true, becuase we dont know the effects, how many other players did them, and what he could of done without them. He was always a stud, and has shown it throughout his career. The guy is the best I've ever seen. The argument about armor is ridiculous, hit him in the face and legs and he will f***ing move. Blaming that s*** on armor and getting hit is unbelieveably close minded and is a huge stretch. Biggio has stepped into many inside pitches, and he doesnt hit like bonds does.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
Why would he move after he got hit by the ball? I don't understand. He got hit by the ball and then tried to get out of the way? Why would someone do that?

You started the argument. All along I said I was not arguing the home run point, but you kept insisting I was. I argued that it made him a better overall hitter. Look at my posts. I even included on base percentage, batting average, and walks. Go back and check it out wise guy.

Wow. Do you not watch baseball. Someone can actually turn into a pitch on accident and get plunked. Did you see how Jenks popped that Ambres guy in te chin yesterday??? Or how about a late reaction. Look at Hafner when he got popped by Buehrle.

2nd, how can you claim he started the argument when at 1st, you challenged me by saying that the juice is not why he is good, instead, it is the "armor."???

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)

He would move after he got hit cas the pitcher brushed him off by hitting him. That's what happens in baseball. Why would he move back off the plate if he hasn't gotten hit? Um, duh!

And I still don't see how it makes him a better hitter. All I see is that it makes it hurt less when he is hit. Maybe the fact that when he gets hit on the elbow, it doesn't hurt as much therefore retaining more power for his next at bat. :huh

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)

*moves to the barry bonds body armor/best player ever?/carleverettstandsontopofhteplatewithoutarmortoo thread

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
You will never know if thats true, becuase we dont know the effects, how many other players did them, and what he could of done without them.  He was always a stud, and has shown it throughout his career.  The guy is the best I've ever seen.  The argument about armor is ridiculous, hit him in the face and legs and he will f***ing move.  Blaming that s*** on armor and getting hit is unbelieveably close minded and is a huge stretch.  Biggio has stepped into many inside pitches, and he doesnt hit like bonds does.

Of course the armor thing is ridiculous. You'll have your opinion that he was the greatest, and I'll have mine that he was one of the greatest. I think we can both agree that he used some form of steroid (other than "accidentally" applying the cream a few times) during his career, right?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
1. Calm the f*** down killer.

2. If your gonna tell me Bonds doesnt move on brush-back pitches than your f***ing crazy. He is a human being, not a robot. Natural reflexes are to get your ass out of the way of a pitching coming at you! WTF are you talking about!?!?!

3. IN bold your saying he never tries to hit himself, yet, earlier, all you were saying is that he doesnt get out of the way, ever. How does that make sense?

Kid how old are you?

I am sure he will if it is at his head. Most pitchers will not throw at a guys head. Who is going to throw it at the players legs? Risk a wild pitch? That doesnt make sense. Since he has used that elbow pad I have not seen him move. That is correct.

Read what is in bold again. In bold it states that BIGGIO tries to hit himself. BONDS does not intentionally try to get hit. BIGGIO actually will stick his arm or elbow into a pitch. Have you never seen this done? BONDS does not do that. Why does he have to INTENTIONALLY try to get hit by the pitch in order to never get out of the way of a pitch? Your argument is ridiculous.