Jose Cruz Jr.

DBAHO

By the D-Backs, a back injury pretty much screwed up his hitting;

The Arizona Diamondbacks designated veteran outfielder Jose Cruz, Jr. for assignment following Wednesday's game at Milwaukee.

Cruz is hitting a career-worst .213 with 12 home runs and 28 RBI in 64 games this season, his first with the Diamondbacks. The 31-year-old was acquired by Arizona from Tampa Bay for lefthanded pitcher Casey Fossum in February. The ninth-year veteran, who is one hit shy of 1,000 for his career, was cut loose to make room for highly-regarded prospect Conor Jackson. Cruz owns a .248 lifetime average with 187 homers and 563 RBI with Seattle, Toronto, San Francisco, Tampa Bay and Arizona. He has hit at least 20 home runs in four of the last six seasons, including a career-best 34 with the Blue Jays in 2001. Jackson, a first-round pick by Arizona in the 2003 draft, was recalled from Triple-A Tucson after the Diamondbacks' 3-0 victory over Milwaukee on Wednesday. The first baseman/outfielder was hitting .354 with eight homers and 73 RBI with the Sidewinders, while his 38 doubles is the second-most in the minors this season. 

He had these splits early on;

APRIL - .294/.400/.706

MAY - .254/.389/.525

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
Man, I can remember when this guy was supposed to team with ARod in Seattle to give the best young 1-2 punch in history, and was then one of hte highest regarded players traded by Seattle when they tried to make a pennant run.

I also remember that Lou Piniella never wanted to give the kid a chance, and he was rotting on the bench in Seattle. Getting traded probably was one of the best things that ever happened to him, and he just never stayed anywhere long enough to make an impact. I thought he was going to be good if he was able to stay in one place long enough, but sadly this was never to be.

I love Cruz. I wanted this guy to be our starting CFer in 2003. Sort of a blessing in disguise he wasn't, else, we probably would not have Rowand.

We got no room for him in the next 5 years in all likelyhood, and I don't like him as much as I did back then...but he will start. Colorado should call him up and see if that park can resurrect another career.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:46 AM)
I love Cruz.  I wanted this guy to be our starting CFer in 2003.  Sort of a blessing in disguise he wasn't, else, we probably would not have Rowand.

We got no room for him in the next 5 years in all likelyhood, and I don't like him as much as I did back then...but he will start.  Colorado should call him up and see if that park can resurrect another career.

All likelihood he's headed to the Yankees as their new CF, but hell he'd be much better than Timo as a 4th outfielder / DH guy, and he's a lefty hitter. Just throwing out the possibility.