Charlotte vs Rochester 5/2

SI1020

If somebody posted something on this my apologies. If not here goes. I attended my first minor league game ever yesterday evening. The Knights had a 10 home winning streak snapped by Rochester so I'll try not to bust their chops too bad, but as the British say they were "bloody awful". Jon Rauch started, went 5 innings gave up 3 hits ( all home runs, two of them tape measure jobs ) 4 runs all earned, with 3 walks and 5 K's. I admit I have never liked Rauch. He is all elbows and odd angles in his delivery and doesn't seem to generate the velocity a 6-11 guy should. Rauch gave up two home runs to Justin Morneau who went 5 for 5 and impressed the hell out of this guy. On his second home run off Rauch Morneau, a towering left handed hitter turned on a low inside pitch and hit a long drive to right that may still be in flight. Rauch just glared daggers at this catcher as if to say wtf did you call that pitch for? Rauch was lousy but left the game with a 5-4 lead and then the bottom fell out. Relievers Felix Diaz, Ryan Kohlmeier, and Gary Majewski were all torched. Diaz was a major disappointment for me. I know it's only one game. He appears to have 4 pitches, good velocity and movement, but has trouble locating and then has to come over the plate when behind in the count. He went 1 and 2/3 and gave up 5 hits and 3 earned runs. He is a "project" at best. The impressive ones were the Rochester lineup which featured Lew Ford, Justin Morneau and Michael Restovich each hitting two home runs each. Michael Ryan also connected for Rochester. The Red Wings 7 homers tied a franchise record set on June 24,1919. On the bright side Aaron Miles looked real good connecting with an opposite field home run in the first and two additional hits going 3 for 5 with a couple of nifty plays in the field. Career minor leaguer Scott Morgan (1b) hit a towering shot to left in the bottom of the 4th with two on when the Knights took the lead 5-4. The Knights got another run in the bottom of the 5th and then Rochester just began teeing off on Knight relievers. Final score Rochester 16 Charlotte 6. To add insult to injury Rochester is a Twins farm team and as previously stated they look stacked with hitting talent. I could add much more about the game and the experience. I recommend a trip to see the Knights play if you have the opportunity.

Yes he did and he looked totally lost at the plate. I know I'm not saying anything original here but he does need to shorten his stroke. His was fooled badly on some off speed pitches. Just about the whole team layed an egg last nite. How's Wright doing tonite I wonder?

Yes he did and he looked totally lost at the plate. I know I'm not saying anything original here but he does need to shorten his stroke. His was fooled badly on some off speed pitches. Just about the whole team layed an egg last nite. How's Wright doing tonite I wonder?

Charlotte box for tonight.. Looks like Wright was pretty solid.

INTL FINAL

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E

- - - - - - - - - - - -

ROCHESTER 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 3 10 1

CHARLOTTE 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 10 2 FINAL

WP - MIKE DUVALL (1-0)

LP - DAN WRIGHT (0-2)

SAVE - TODD ERDOS (2)

HOME RUNS: ROC - CHAD GREEN (3) OFF DAN WRIGHT IN THE 6TH

TIME: 2:29 ATT: 8,768--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extended Box

ROCHESTER (3) AT CHARLOTTE (2)

ROCHESTER AB R H BI CHARLOTTE AB R H BI

C Green CF 5 1 1 1 A Miles 2B 5 0 1 0

L Rodriguez 2B 4 0 1 0 A Rowand RF 4 1 2 0

M Restovich RF 4 0 0 0 J Borchard CF 3 0 0 0

J Morneau 1B 4 0 1 0 M Valenzuela LF 4 0 1 1

M Ryan LF 4 0 1 0 C Brumbaugh DH 3 0 1 0

S Andrews 3B 4 1 2 0 T Hummel 3B 4 0 0 0

D Lamb SS 3 1 2 0 S Morgan 1B 4 1 1 0

B Marsters C 4 0 1 1 J Paul C 3 0 2 1

K Connacher DH 4 0 1 1 J Nunez SS 3 0 1 0

R Gload PH 1 0 1 0

TOTALS 36 3 10 3 TOTALS 34 2 10 2

ROCHESTER 000 011 100 -- 3

CHARLOTTE 100 000 001 -- 2

E--A Rowand, J Paul, J Morneau. DP--ROCHESTER 3.

LOB--ROCHESTER 7, CHARLOTTE 8. 2B--A Rowand, S

Morgan, M Ryan, S Andrews. HR--C Green 1 (3) (off

D Wright). SB--D Lamb 1 (1).

IP H R ER BB SO HR

ROCHESTER

M Duvall (W,1-0) 5 2-3 6 1 1 2 2 0

J Padilla 2 1-3 1 0 0 0 3 0

T Erdos (S,2) 1 3 1 1 0 0 0

CHARLOTTE

D Wright (L,0-2) 6 6 2 2 0 5 1

T Yofu 3 4 1 1 1 3 0

WP--T Yofu. HBP--J Borchard by J Padilla.

SO--ROC: C Green 2, S Andrews 2, B Marsters, K

Connacher, L Rodriguez, M Ryan. CHA: C Brumbaugh,

M Valenzuela, T Hummel, J Borchard, J Paul.

BB--ROC: D Lamb. CHA: C Brumbaugh, J Paul.

T--2:29. A--8,768.

SI1020, both Morneau and Restovich are very highly regarded.  Restovich even had some Big League time last year (only 8 games).

Morneau is only 21 (22 this month).  Restovich is 24 and in his 2nd year of AAA.

Thanks for the update. They both impressed me. Morneau has a very quick bat for a big guy.