Baseball Bats

OldRetiredGuy

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
when the baseball hof had that traveling exhibit at the Field Museum I saw one of the Babe's bats. They were like giant logs.

I remember seeing the samething. What gave you perspective was they had one of Mark McGwires bats next to it and it was TINY.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
I remember seeing the samething.  What gave you perspective was they had one of Mark McGwires bats next to it and it was TINY.

But I'm sure McGwire's barrel was bigger.

Edited by Finkelstein

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
Everyone it seems uses the thin handled bats. It's not unusual to have a half dozen broken bats in a single game. I remember the old Nellie Fox bottle bat, which I used in Little League. How retro.

It's not just that. Most bats were switched over this year from Pine to Maple. Maple is a lot softer and lighter wood and tends to break a lot easier then Pine. Thats why it seems like bats ae always breakin this year.....I would have loved to see Ruth with a maple bat.....he'd probably go through 600 a year

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
when the baseball hof had that traveling exhibit at the Field Museum I saw one of the Babe's bats. They were like giant logs.

I saw that exhibition too. Comparing them to modern day sluggers bat there's quite a difference. Perhaps when we go back and worship those old sluggers that maybe they didn't have the same pitching to bat against. Bonds bat is relatively light could he get around with a 40 oz bat against a 95 to 98 mile an hour fastball could Ruth hit that same pitching we'll never know.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(BDavisFutureHOF @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
Everything except his balls..............  :ph34r:

Imagine these big hulking hunk of men, hitting titanic home runs with regularity at the expense of that certain part of the anatomy. Must do wonders for their love lives.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:20 PM)
:lolhitting  Imagine these big hulking hunk of men, hitting titanic home runs with regularity at the expense of that certain part of the anatomy. Must do wonders for their love lives.

Is it worth the money???

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
It's not just that. Most bats were switched over this year from Pine to Maple. Maple is a lot softer and lighter wood and tends to break a lot easier then Pine. Thats why it seems like bats ae always breakin this year.....I would have loved to see Ruth with a maple bat.....he'd probably go through 600 a year

I believe the bats were made of ash. I was a carpenter at one time and pine is very soft wood.