Goodenow resigns

NHL union leader steps down. Discuss.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2118641

TORONTO -- Bob Goodenow is stepping down as head of the NHL Players' Association, less than a week after the union and league approved a new labor deal to end a lockout that wiped out the entire 2004-05 season.

"With the conclusion of the negotiations and the ratification of the new agreement, the parties concur that this is an appropriate action for the future," Goodenow said in a statement Thursday.

"I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to serve the players over the past 15 years and to have had the support of a tremendous staff at the NHLPA," he said.

It is widely believed that the new labor deal, with its salary cap and linkage to league revenues, was not favored by Goodenow, who had several years left on his contract.

"This decision followed discussions between Goodenow and members of the executive committee about the organization's future," the NHLPA said in a statement.

Ted Saskin, the union's senior director of business affairs and licensing, will succeed Goodenow as executive director and general counsel.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
Goodenow had to resign, he just got the s*** kicked out of him in this.  He screwed up BIG TIME by underestimating the resolve of the owners.

Well, when your negotiating point it "There will be no salary cap" and at the end there is a salary cap, you kind of lose the trust of your union.

This is no surprise though, there have been alot of people calling for his and bettmans head throughout the whole lockout, Bettman came out on top(sort of, at the expense of one year) and he probably will be hailed for saving hockey in 10 years...if his new CBA works out as designed.

I'll tell you, form the "player rep" reports I got (ahem), there's a lot of pissed off campers.

Not only did they take a 24% paycut, they have to set aside 15% more of their checks in a trust. That just f'in blows, if you're a player.

But, Goodenow was told to get the hell out last week at their meetings after the ratification vote was taken. It just took a week to break.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)
I'll tell you, form the "player rep" reports I got (ahem), there's a lot of pissed off campers.

Not only did they take a 24% paycut, they have to set aside 15% more of their checks in a trust.  That just f'in blows, if you're a player.

But, Goodenow was told to get the hell out last week at their meetings after the ratification vote was taken.  It just took a week to break.

Wow that is 40% of your paycheck gone. I don't care who you are, that sucks.

I think most of us saw this coming. Like Kap said, i assuemd the players would tell Goodenow to get the hell out. Because the players came up with the L, big time. I mean, i knew they'd lose out on this deal, but they lost an entire season and then got a worse deal. Cya Bob, thanks for no NHL last year.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)

Not only did they take a 24% paycut, they have to set aside 15% more of their checks in a trust.  That just f'in blows, if you're a player.

But, Goodenow was told to get the hell out last week at their meetings after the ratification vote was taken.  It just took a week to break.

I trust you when you say you've got connections, but I don't think you'd need any "player rep reports" to tell you that the players are pissed. that 24% paycut was offered by the players early in the lockout as a desperation attempt to end the lockout, and even after the season was lost and a new CBA was made, that rollback ended up in it, so it's no surprise they wanted Goodenow out.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 01:44 AM)
I trust you when you say you've got connections, but I don't think you'd need any "player rep reports" to tell you that the players are pissed.  that 24% paycut was offered by the players early in the lockout as a desperation attempt to end the lockout, and even after the season was lost and a new CBA was made, that rollback ended up in it, so it's no surprise they wanted Goodenow out.

True, everyone knows it, but there are more reasons then just the salary rollback for them being pissed. Sorry for the poor wording.