Only in Indiana...

southsider2k5

LaPORTE - Awakened by a barking dog, Ed Wedow bolted from his house early Wednesday, grabbed a pitchfork and ran after a man suspected of peeping through his daughter's bedroom window the past several weeks.

Wedow, though, lost sight of the much faster Peeping Tom, who was dressed all in black.

"I just couldn't run any more. I'm getting too old to do that much running," said Wedow, 54, of 5300 block of West Schultz Road.

LaPorte County police said that about 1 a.m. Wedow was awakened by a neighbor's dog barking and looked outside. He saw a man walking through his yard.

Dressed only in his underwear, Wedow grabbed a pitchfork and chased the man through two other yards. At one point, police said, Wedow tossed the pitchfork at the man, but missed. Police said Wedow lost sight of him as he neared County Road 525 West.

"I think he just outran my dad," said Christina Wedow, who grew up in the same home that her family has lived in between LaPorte and Michigan City for about 30 years.

Christina Wedow, 24, now lives in Hobart.

"It's scary especially now that I have a house by myself. I'm thinking about getting a burglar alarm," she said.

LaPorte County Police Chief of Detectives Kevin Ulam said that in general, "peepers only look." Still, Ulam said, there is cause for concern.

"Sooner or later we'll find out who it is," Ulam said.

Wedow said it was the third incident involving the peeper over the past two months.

He said that no one had actually seen an intruder on the family's property before, but each time plants and shrubbery outside his 14-year-old daughter's bedroom window was matted down. Once, he said, an outside water spigot was broken when the peeper stood on the faucet.

Wedow said he has installed an extra security light and added bracing to his daughter's window to make sure it can't be opened.

"I'm going to put a surveillance camera out. I'll catch him one way or another. Hopefully, he won't come back," Wedow said.