Red Sox will explore Ramirez trade

Whitesoxfan56

(AP)

ESPN.COM

BOSTON -- Manny Ramirez's trade request will be difficult to honor because of his contract, Boston Red Sox president Larry Lucchino said Thursday.

Lucchino also said he didn't know the left fielder's motivation for refusing manager Terry Francona's request to play Wednesday afternoon's game at Tampa Bay after another outfielder, Trot Nixon, was sidelined with a strained muscle in his side. Before the injury, Francona told Ramirez he could have the day off.

"It's hard to know if the events of the last couple of days are the result of sort of psychological and physical needs for a sustained period of rest or it's some calculation or some move to encourage us to trade him," Lucchino told WEEI radio on his regularly scheduled segment.

Lucchino and Ramirez's agent, Scott Parker, did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment. Team owner John Henry and general manager Theo Epstein did not respond to e-mails, and the Red Sox clubhouse was locked on their day off Thursday.

Ramirez is batting .275 with 28 homers and a major league-leading 92 RBI for the Red Sox, who lead the AL East by 1½ games over the New York Yankees. He is due $57 million over the remaining three years of his contract.

On Tuesday, Sports Illustrated reported on its Web site that Ramirez, for at least the third time in four seasons, had asked to be traded. The report said he told club officials he was unhappy in Boston, especially with an off-field lack of privacy.

The Red Sox will explore trading him before Sunday's deadline, but that will be tough, Lucchino said.

"Because of the size of his contract, obviously, it's hard," he said. "There aren't a lot of clubs that are going to be interested, but it depends how little you're willing to take in return with respect to trades. I'm not talking about Manny specifically, although it certainly applies to him."

A club might want to make a deal if it asks the Red Sox to pay 95 percent of Ramirez's salary, "but that's not a particularly intelligent thing for us to do," Lucchino said.

He also said this is the fourth straight season in which Ramirez has requested a trade "and our general response was, `it's that time of year' and we'll explore it as we explore other trades."

Boston may resist trading Ramirez because it is short in the outfield. With Nixon on the 15-day disabled list and Ramirez not playing, Francona used first baseman Kevin Millar in left field and rookie Adam Stern in right Wednesday.

Despite leading the division, Red Sox officials would like to improve their postseason chances with a trade. Last year, Epstein sent shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to the Chicago Cubs at the deadline.

"It is the time of year when you consider all manner of trades," Lucchino said. "Theo is certainly willing to be bold and make moves that other GMs might shy away from, so this is the time for us to think about trades and, certainly, Manny's name will come up from time to time, I'm sure, in the next 72 hours."

Edited by aboz56

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
Your right that they wont trade him to us.  But which team can they trade him to and what will it take to get him.  "A s***load" isnt really the answer i was lookin for

It would probably take 2 good ML position players and atleast 1 ML pitcher + prospects.

Manny has a joke of a contract.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 04:03 PM)
Your right that they wont trade him to us.  But which team can they trade him to and what will it take to get him.  "A s***load" isnt really the answer i was lookin for

LOL, what do you want from me? It'd take a ton for the Red Sox in the middle of a race to trade their cleanup hitter.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
The only team who would take him is the Yankees... Somehow I don't see that happening..

I must say the Cubs should seriously look into this, they have a s***load of talent in their Minor leagues and some good expendable ML talent. Manny would absolutely rake at Wrigley in LF for the Cubs.

He's a future HOF'er but his contract and trade value is too high for us to handle. Like someone said, he is making more than our whole outfield combined. I cant imagine what the Bo Sox would ask for in return. There is no chance the Red Sox would trade him to us.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

If I were KW, I guess I could always make an offer. I would have to require that Boston pick up 30% of his contract, that we give up no more than two full time starters and two top level propsects, and that Manny sign a clause that he must wear a uniform that fits him.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 05:16 PM)
If I were KW, I guess I could always make an offer.  I would have to require that Boston pick up 30% of his contract, that we give up no more than two full time starters and two top level propsects, and that Manny sign a clause that he must wear a uniform that fits him.

SFF

I don't see Boston picking up a penny of his contract or trading him to any AL contender if they do find some way to trade him which I don't see happening either.

It would cost a lot for him player wise.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 05:16 PM)
If I were KW, I guess I could always make an offer.  I would have to require that Boston pick up 30% of his contract, that we give up no more than two full time starters and two top level propsects, and that Manny sign a clause that he must wear a uniform that fits him.

SFF

Or at least get his pants hemmed.

Yes, gay horn please. . .

Could you imagine the buzz if JR/KW got Manny? Incredible...

I believe any trade would start with Rowand and BMac. They obviously are gonna want some major league talent for Manny. Rowand and Marte would be attractive to Boston. With Damon being a FA next season, Rowand could be their next CF. Red Sox need pen help and would love to have Marte especially with the release of Embree. If JR was willing to take on an extra 14 million (Rowand's & Marte's salaries subtracted and Boston picking up 6-7 million) would Rowand, Marte, BMac, and another prospect (Owens/Sweeney?) be a package Boston couldn't refuse? All this sounds like a strange situation and Manny likely won't be going anywhere, but it's interesting to discuss nonetheless...

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
OH LET'S GO GET HIM!!! /peeing myself

WE NEED HIS BAT!  OMG OMG OMG, /peeing myself again

WE WILL WIN THE WORLD SERIES WITH HIM, OMG OMG OMG GO GET HIM!  /drying off

:lolhitting

How rediculous is that?

About as ridiculous as your spelling of the word ridiculous :P

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
I must say the Cubs should seriously look into this, they have a s***load of talent in their Minor leagues and some good expendable ML talent. Manny would absolutely rake at Wrigley in LF for the Cubs.

Somehow I don't see the Tribune wanting to pick up a contract like Manny's.

1 ) Their still raking in money hand over first putting a .500 team on the field...

2 ) They still have to pay some of Sammy's salary I believe and I doubt they'd want to put so much money back into one Ego...... I mean player....

Edited by Jeckle2000

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 05:24 PM)
Could you imagine the buzz if JR/KW got Manny?  Incredible...

I believe any trade would start with Rowand and BMac.  They obviously are gonna want some major league talent for Manny.  Rowand and Marte would be attractive to Boston.  With Damon being a FA next season, Rowand could be their next CF.  Red Sox need pen help and would love to have Marte especially with the release of Embree.  If JR was willing to take on an extra 14 million (Rowand's & Marte's salaries subtracted and Boston picking up 6-7 million) would Rowand, Marte, BMac, and another prospect (Owens/Sweeney?) be a package Boston couldn't refuse?  All this sounds like a strange situation and Manny likely won't be going anywhere, but it's interesting to discuss nonetheless...

I don't think it would be enough. Even though they would never trade him to the us in the middle of the season:

1.) Boston won't pick up any of Manny's contract let alone $6M-$7M.

2.) Rowand, Marte, BMac, Sweeney/Owens. Is probably not enough.

Try: Rowand, BMac, Marte, Anderson/Tracey + 1 low level spect.

Manny is THE best hitter on the Red Sox and is a future HOF who is still putting up ridiculous numbers.

I don't think it would be enough. Even though they would never trade him to the us in the middle of the season:

1.) Boston won't pick up any of Manny's contract let alone $6M-$7M.

2.) Rowand, Marte, BMac, Sweeney/Owens. Is probably not enough.

Try: Rowand, BMac, Marte, Anderson/Tracey + 1 low level spect.

Manny is THE best hitter on the Red Sox and is a future HOF who is still putting up ridiculous numbers.

I dont no about anyone else but i would do the trade u proposed in #2. we are going for it all this year so losing rowand and marte off the big league roster and replacing them with manny isnt that bad. the only bad thing would be is if we didnt win it this year and lost all that talent in the minors for the years to come.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
Could you imagine the buzz if JR/KW got Manny?  Incredible...

I believe any trade would start with Rowand and BMac.  They obviously are gonna want some major league talent for Manny.  Rowand and Marte would be attractive to Boston.  With Damon being a FA next season, Rowand could be their next CF.  Red Sox need pen help and would love to have Marte especially with the release of Embree.  If JR was willing to take on an extra 14 million (Rowand's & Marte's salaries subtracted and Boston picking up 6-7 million) would Rowand, Marte, BMac, and another prospect (Owens/Sweeney?) be a package Boston couldn't refuse?  All this sounds like a strange situation and Manny likely won't be going anywhere, but it's interesting to discuss nonetheless...

Man if we can trade Rowand and someone else and eat up all his salary, Kenny do it! Put Pods in CF , man would i love to see Manny on the Sox.