Red Sox will explore Ramirez trade

Whitesoxfan56

Damn, I was hoping with Frank out Sox would make a move for Huff, but I guess Manny out of the AL does help... should be interesting, Manny might have pushed it too far this time and he might have to go

This deal may gum everything up, if it takes forever, even if it doesn't happen, it could delay everything else, and then no major moves happen.

Edited by SoxFan562004

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Manny & Carl are friends. WSox winning 1-0 right now.

With Frank out if not Manny then Griffey. I don't want Soriano. He is not an Ozzie type player.

I can't believe Boston would trade the WS MVP for a struggling Huff. They must really hate Manny or Tampa has an ex used car salesman working the trade wire.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 06:06 PM)
I wonder if Manny & Carl are friends.  WSox winning 1-0 right now.

With Frank out if not Manny then Griffey.  I don't want Soriano.  He is not an Ozzie type player. 

I can't believe Boston would trade the WS MVP for a struggling Huff.  They must really hate Manny or Tampa has an ex used car salesman working the trade wire.

I doubt this trade happens but just for the record Huff ain't struggling anymore.

ESPNNEWS breaking report:

Red Sox: Cameron, Huff

Tampa Bay: boatload of prospects

Mets: Manny, Baez

Possibility Boston would go after Griffey then.

Nevin to Texas, Park to Pads.

Soriano would reject Cubs deal because he has no interest in playing LF.

Indians are ready to trade Wickman & Milwood.

Pirates: Lawton, Mesa, Redman

TAM, SEA, CIN, PIT asking prices are coming down.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
ESPNNEWS breaking report:

Red Sox: Cameron, Huff

Tampa Bay: boatload of prospects

Mets: Manny, Baez

Possibility Boston would go after Griffey then.

Nevin to Texas, Park to Pads.

Soriano would reject Cubs deal because he has no interest in playing LF.

Indians are ready to trade Wickman & Milwood.

Pirates: Lawton, Mesa, Redman

TAM, SEA, CIN, PIT asking prices are coming down.

We need to go after Griffey damnit. I can't stand to watch the Red Sox get super strong and us stand pat. Good pitching and defense is effective, but you still need to score runs to win and right now, I don't think we could do that. GET GRIFFEY DAMNIT!!!!!

Nevin will probably reject a trade to Texas. Hopefully that's not on his list of teams.

Sanchez, Shoppach, Milledge and Petit? I'f I'm Chuck Lamar I can't say yes fast enough. Good deal for the Mets too getting a good arm in the pen and one of the best hitters in the game. I just don't think Huff moving to first and Cameron playing left (center next year) is enough for Boston although the contract dump probably would please management.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 12:52 AM)
Sanchez, Shoppach, Milledge and Petit? I'f I'm Chuck Lamar I can't say yes fast enough. Good deal for the Mets too getting a good arm in the pen and one of the best hitters in the game. I just don't think Huff moving to first and Cameron playing left (center next year) is enough for Boston although the contract dump probably would please management.

Shoppach is a good young catcher, from what I hear. Showing some good power.

Milledge, I haven't heard much about, other than Met fans liking him as one of their best position players in the system.

And Petit -- real nice arm.

Hell yeah you're right, that's one helluva package. Sanchez is a.... pitcher from Boston (taking a guess?)?

Oh, and in a recent ESPN.com chat with Buster Olney, he said something to the effect of: "While Oakland has had a nice streak recently, believe it or not, they did not invent the OBP stat."

I just laughed.

Sanchez is a guy I don't know much about other than that Gammons raves about him in his columns. Petit has deceptive stuff but not overpowering from what I've read. That said, he has dominated all levels so far. Milledge is a VERy toolsy outfielder who could be special although he was smaller than I thought he'd be. He looks like a Jose Reyes with mildly more power to me in center. Shoppach is about as good of a prospect for a catcher you will find. They don't come around often and would be a big upgrade over Toby Hall in the longrun. Could be a Chuck Lamar homerun. Milledge isn't close to the bigs but it would make you wonder if Crawford, Baldelli, or Gathright isn't long for the team having Delmon, Gomes, and then Milledge all in the outfield glut too. How about spinning one of those guys for Ryan Howard in the offseason if you are the Rays?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
Shoppach is a good young catcher, from what I hear.  Showing some good power.

Milledge, I haven't heard much about, other than Met fans liking him as one of their best position players in the system.

And Petit -- real nice arm.

Hell yeah you're right, that's one helluva package.  Sanchez is a....  pitcher from Boston (taking a guess?)?

Oh, and in a recent ESPN.com chat with Buster Olney, he said something to the effect of:  "While Oakland has had a nice streak recently, believe it or not, they did not invent the OBP stat."

I just laughed.

Milledge is the Mets #1 prospect and hes in the BA top 25 IIRC, Petit is top 50 as well

Anibal Sanchez is supposed to have great stuff. I've heard he's dominated basically every level he's been on.

Last year in Low A Lowell Sanchez went 3-4 with a 1.77 ERA. This season in High A Wilmigton he continued to dominate with a 2.41 ERA, and was promoted to AA. In his first AA start he was very good, his second he was ok but not great and in his third he was flat out dominant again going 7inn, 3 hits, 11Ks. The guy is 21 and has ace potential, and after 3 starts he has a 1.28 ERA in AA. His best pitch is a plus fastball with great movement, with a changeup that many scouts call another plus pitch along with a curve that could be a plus pitch also. Im definetly NOT in favor of trading Sanchez especially with Arroyo also, thats why I dont see it happening, unless the Marlins throw in another player with Burnett not named Mike Lowell. Hes currently our 3rd best SP prospect but thats just because we have Papelbon and Lester also who project as aces also. But sanchez is a top 40 prospect in the league.

Go to soxprospects.com

Wow, I can't see how we'd top that package. If they'd take Milledge (an OF?), what about Anderson? I'm all about giving up the prospects for a shot this year, but I can't see how KW could give reason to top that kind of package. It would basically take ALL of our top prospects + a major leaguer to top that if what everyone says is true. Damn...

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 07:38 PM)
Wow, I can't see how we'd top that package.  If they'd take Milledge (an OF?), what about Anderson?  I'm all about giving up the prospects for a shot this year, but I can't see how KW could give reason to top that kind of package.  It would basically take ALL of our top prospects + a major leaguer to top that if what everyone says is true.  Damn...

Personally I think we could have topped that package for Manny but not Huff. Thats like us giving up Young/Sweeney/Anderson and BMac to the DRays for Baez or Huff.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 01:01 AM)
Sanchez is a guy I don't know much about other than that Gammons raves about him in his columns. Petit has deceptive stuff but not overpowering from what I've read. That said, he has dominated all levels so far. Milledge is a VERy toolsy outfielder who could be special although he was smaller than I thought he'd be. He looks like a Jose Reyes with mildly more power to me in center. Shoppach is about as good of a prospect for a catcher you will find. They don't come around often and would be a big upgrade over Toby Hall in the longrun.  Could be a Chuck Lamar homerun.  Milledge isn't close to the bigs but it would make you wonder if Crawford, Baldelli, or Gathright isn't long for the team having Delmon, Gomes, and then Milledge all in the outfield glut too. How about spinning one of those guys for Ryan Howard in the offseason if you are the Rays?

Gathright doesn't have much else except for speed. I mean, he can run, and it looks like he'll hit for a decent average, but offhand, I don't think he walks a lot. And, IIRC, he had something like one HR in his minor league career.

Crawford will be there for awhile. At least, until he starts asking for big bucks.

Delmon Young is tearing up the minors, too. I assume they'll stick with Young + Crawford, and then whoever did the best out of Baldelli/Gathright/Milledge -- if the trade did go through (which, I doubt it will -- so I don't even know why I just made a huge post about it... :banghead ).

It sure seems like the BoSox would be giving up A LOT of talent. I mean they're already ditching Manny. There are not that many good free agents they could buy during the offseason, and they're gonna have to give a big payday to Damon. It just seems like the BoSox are shooting themselves in this deal. Then what would they do with Millar? Cameron, Millar, or Huff would have to be moved in another deal, IMO, assuming Trot Nixon comes back fully healthy. That is unless they'd have one of them riding the pine frequently.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 07:46 PM)
It sure seems like the BoSox would be giving up A LOT of talent.  I mean they're already ditching Manny.  There are not that many good free agents they could buy during the offseason, and they're gonna have to give a big payday to Damon.  It just seems like the BoSox are shooting themselves in this deal.  Then what would they do with Millar?  Cameron, Millar, or Huff would have to be moved in another deal, IMO, assuming Trot Nixon comes back fully healthy.  That is unless they'd have one of them riding the pine frequently.

If you see this deal done, you probably see Millar and Mueller traded for Romero.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)
Gathright doesn't have much else except for speed.  I mean, he can run, and it looks like he'll hit for a decent average, but offhand, I don't think he walks a lot.  And, IIRC, he had something like one HR in his minor league career.

Sounds a lot like Pods to me.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 07:44 PM)
Gathright doesn't have much else except for speed.  I mean, he can run, and it looks like he'll hit for a decent average, but offhand, I don't think he walks a lot.  And, IIRC, he had something like one HR in his minor league career.

.391 career obp in the minors. Who cares about his homerun total when he's going to be a leadoff hitter?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 01:48 AM)
.391 career obp in the minors.  Who cares about his homerun total when he's going to be a leadoff hitter?

That OBP is pretty average heavy. If he can translate that to the majors, great, but I dunno. The Tampa Bay fans I talked to over at BTF don't think a lot of him.

He's also a pretty bad OFer. Extremely bad reads on the ball...

from rotoworld:

Manny Ramirez - OF - BOS

The Providence Journal's Sean McAdam says there are five teams involved in talks with the Red Sox regarding Manny Ramirez and that the three-team trade with the Mets and Rays is the least likely scenario right now.

McAdam said two other NL clubs and two AL clubs, one the White Sox, are looking at Ramirez. We're guessing the Cubs and maybe the Dodgers are the NL clubs. The Angels would make sense as the other AL team. Jul. 29 - 9:54 pm et

The three-team deal between the Red Sox, Mets and Devil Rays is currently on life support, a source told ESPN.com.

''I don't know if it's completely dead,'' said an official of one of the three teams. ''But it's hit a roadblock … unless someone has some other thoughts.'' According to the official, the Red Sox asked for more from the Mets to complete the deal, which would have sent Manny Ramirez and Danys Baez to New York, Aubrey Huff and Mike Cameron to Boston and Lastings Milledge, Yusmeiro Petit, Anibal Sanchez and Kelly Shoppach to the Rays. It might have been that they wanted Braden Looper. However, the Mets would want to keep him and use him to close and Baez in a setup role initially. Jul. 29 - 10:17 pm et