A deal w/ the D-Rays makes sense

beck72

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
If it's relocation, Las Vegas probably makes the most sense for them. You could just have a 4 team AL East and a 5 team AL West, instead of a 5 team AL East and a 4 team AL West.

There really is a shortage of cities to place a team. Las Vegas has to be at the top. Maybe Portland, that's about it. The one place I think that makes the most sense but I doubt it will ever happen is placing another team in NYC. And if the contract a team, they have to contract at least 2, can't have an odd number of teams in baseball like you can in the other sports.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 01:10 AM)
Actually for the situation the DRays are in, they one of the most profitable teams in all of baseball, it is kinda hard to argue with that.  Their luxury tax sharing check alone is bigger than their entire payroll.  They are raking in money hand over fist right now, strictly from a P&L standpoint.  Essentially that is why Pinella is so pissed off, because they have all of this money and aren't spending it.

While we're on that discussion right now, how do you think Lloyd McClendon is feeling about how much the Prates owners put into the team's payroll right now?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
There really is a shortage of cities to place a team. Las Vegas has to be at the top. Maybe Portland, that's about it. The one place I think that makes the most sense but I doubt it will ever happen is placing another team in NYC. And if the contract a team, they have to contract at least 2, can't have an odd number of teams in baseball like you can in the other sports.

I'd be OK with Vegas.. might be relocating there PT in the near future and then I wouldn't spend so much $$ on travel to see games.

OT.. woo hoo.. I'm going to B'more tonight. :cheers

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
The problem is you trade Huff for say prospects and then you want to re-invest that money into the FA market. If you're a free agent looking for a nice contract, do you really want to go to Tampa Bay and be stuck in a losing situation?

no, which is why they need to trade huff for prospects. they dont want to spend enough money to lure the FAs who only care about making money, otherwise their dollars spent increases. they do try to sign old vets they think have some more productivity in them for cheap, ie mcgriff travis lee, by trying to get some good producitivity and keep their spending down. but what happens is those guys go onto suck, and productivity decreases. so what do they do? they trade huff for a prospect. for example lets examine what happened when the sox got cotts. they got him as a throw in, they bring him up to the bigs, he breaks out, and they get a terrific year out of a guy they pay 300,000, when a team like cleveland is getting worse production for more money out of a guy like arthur rhodes. if htey can net a guy like anderson, maybe they can get a .300 20 85 season out of him before they have to pay him.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 01:11 AM)

A surpise team that could be up for contraction in the future..... Arizona. They've got major debts over there, and the fans over there just didn't seem that passionate at all about the team, it'll be even worse when the team's major player Gonzo retires. Doubt it will happen though, hence why moving Tampa Bay makes more sense.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
While we're on that discussion right now, how do you think Lloyd McClendon is feeling about how much the Prates owners put into the team's payroll right now?

No kidding. I think McClendon will be a very good manager if he gets to a team that gives me a chance, I actually think he's done a real good job with the Pirates, he has had nothing to work with

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
no, which is why they need to trade huff for prospects. they dont want to spend enough money to lure the FAs who only care about making money, otherwise their dollars spent increases. they do try to sign old vets they think have some more productivity in them for cheap, ie mcgriff travis lee, by trying to get some good producitivity and keep their spending down. but what happens is those guys go onto suck, and productivity decreases. so what do they do? they trade huff for a prospect. for example lets examine what happened when the sox got cotts. they got him as a throw in, they bring him up to the bigs, he breaks out, and they get a terrific year out of a guy they pay 300,000, when a team like cleveland is getting worse production for more money out of a guy like arthur rhodes. if htey can net a guy like anderson, maybe they can get a .300 20 85 season out of him before they have to pay him.

Brian Anderson wouldn't play everyday for the D-Rays. Huff is that team's best power hitter. The thing is on Cotts, he struggled in the majors for what almost 2 years (after 1/2 a year in AA), and then he finally broke out. They need to remain at least somewhat competitive over there, and not become a team that can't win more than 50 games in the next few years, otherwise there's just no incentive for a D-Rays fan to buy season tickets and show up to games.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
I'd be OK with Vegas.. might be relocating there PT in the near future and then I wouldn't spend so much $$ on travel to see games.

OT.. woo hoo.. I'm going to B'more tonight.  :cheers

As soon as the NBA or MLB put a team there, the other one will follow. Its going to happen. If anyone has seen drawings of the proposed baseball stadium there, its has such a huge amount of suites, it looks like there are hardly any seats. Hangar18 of WSI would be outraged.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
Sigh... They don't care about the team.. what the team does.. how many fans come.. etc.. they are making their money regardless. The ownership does not give a ratts ass about the Rays. They are cashing checks without doing a damn thing. Anyone with common sense would have seen that when the manager s*** all over the ownership and they did nothing about it.

They don't care...

wow, some people just dont get it, of course they care. if the team does better, they make more money. but the key here is that they dont want to spend money. youre right, they dont care if the team loses 100 as long as they get their money. BUT if the team can win 80 games, and ownership spends the same....lamarr and co. will make more money. so to say that they dont care at all if the team wins or not, but claim that they care about their money is complete ignorance

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
wow, some people just dont get it, of course they care. if the team does better, they make more money. but the key here is that they dont want to spend money. youre right, they dont care if the team loses 100 as long as they get their money. BUT if the team can win 80 games, and ownership spends the same....lamarr and co. will make more money. so to say that they dont care at all if the team wins or not, but claim that they care about their money is complete ignorance

No... we get it.. YOU don't.

Tampa isn't going to be around much longer. There is no reason to invest in the team so they wont. They make their money with ZERO wins and NO fans in the seats.

They don't care...

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
Sexy...  :unsure:

Sexy.

adj.

A term referring to the most popular choice when discussing bets, objects, nearly anything debateable in the public forum. It's something I consider to be ignorant approval

...I thought this was common knowledge by now. :unsure:

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)

I think the point was they are happy with the current situation, and wouldn't want to spend more money to make their team more attractive and increase their profit on the chance it may not work.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
As soon as the NBA or MLB put a team there, the other one will follow. Its going to happen. If anyone has seen drawings of the proposed baseball stadium there, its has such a huge amount of suites, it looks like there are hardly any seats. Hangar18 of WSI would be outraged.

I haven't seen it but I heard about it. Henry is ticked about everything.. :lol:

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 01:17 AM)

How is that team going to win 80 games anyway if major free agents don't want to come down and play in Tampa Bay?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
Sexy.

adj.

A term referring to the most popular choice when discussing bets, objects, nearly anything debateable in the public forum.  It's something I consider to be ignorant approval

...I thought this was common knowledge by now. :unsure:

I forgot the green and this guy -> :lol:

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)

Tampa isn't going to be around much longer. There is no reason to invest in the team so they wont. They make their money with ZERO wins and NO fans in the seats.

They don't care...

To pass something that involved off as fact is completely irresponsible.

No one knows when the D'Rays will be contracted/re-located...at least no one posting on Soxtalk.com anyways.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
To pass something that involved off as fact is completely irresponsible.

No one knows when the D'Rays will be contracted/re-located...at least no one posting on Soxtalk.com anyways.

People who work for them do...

But since it's always met with a slap to the face, I'll be sure not to pass along info I get anymore.

This place is unf***ingbelieveable sometimes.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)

They don't care...

haha im not saying tehy should invest. thats why im advocating them trading huff. hes 7.5 million dollars spent by ownership. if they can cut that spending out, they will make more money. AND additionally why not get players that can help you contribute in teh future. if they can contribute at 300,000 dollars, maybe they will help to bring in some revenue, which also increases their pay check. i completely agree with you that they could win 90 games make 200 million, or win 60 and make 300 million that they would choose to win 60 and make 300. i think, you must be under the assumption that i dont agree with you on that, but i do. alls im sayin is that if they can win 56 without huff, then they make 207.5 million (with the extra money coming from the money they save on huffs contract). and maybe, just maybe, the prospect tehy get turns into a player like huff and that brings them back to 60 wins. maybe a few more fans will start to show up then, and the team is spending less, and maybe that 207.5 with 56 wins jumps to 209.5 with 60 wins. i agree tehy dont really care about teh wins, but if the wins bring in money, without them having to spend money, then they do care

It took two/three years to GET someone to take the Nationals now we are talking about potential suitors for another team, come on.

The two Florida teams have to be tops on the list of teams to dissolve especially if there is no stadium in Miami. That team should not have to ask for anything after two titles in the last 7 or so years.

Jenks is the "flavor" becuase he brings PURE talent something that lacks in our bullpen. I want a guy to come in with men on second and third and one out in a game and shut a hitter down. Not hope to shut him down but in the end the hitter can inside out a ball in the air to the outfield on a 92 MPH fastball. Jenks keeps hitters off balance because you have to react to the pitch and can not try to have a strategy at the plate. If you look fastball away and get a good hook near the plate you are defensless. With hermanson if you look fastball away and get a splitter you can still put it in play.

Wagner is bettter than Jenks, Baez is iffy and nowhere near the potential even this year.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:26 AM)
People who work for them do...

But since it's always met with a slap to the face, I'll be sure not to pass along info I get anymore.

This place is unf***ingbelieveable sometimes.

Are you on the D'Rays payroll?

Know what, screw it. Sorry about the snap. It's just that there has been a LOT of conjecture passed of as fact lately.

My apologies. :cheers

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
haha im not saying tehy should invest. thats why im advocating them trading huff. hes 7.5 million dollars spent by ownership. if they can cut that spending out, they will make more money. AND additionally why not get players that can help you contribute in teh future. if they can contribute at 300,000 dollars, maybe they will help to bring in some revenue, which also increases their pay check. i completely agree with you that they could win 90 games make 200 million, or win 60 and make 300 million that they would choose to win 60 and make 300. i think, you must be under the assumption that i dont agree with you on that, but i do. alls im sayin is that if they can win 56 without huff, then they make 207.5 million (with the extra money coming from the money they save on huffs contract). and maybe, just maybe, the prospect tehy get turns into a player like huff and that brings them back to 60 wins. maybe a few more fans will start to show up then, and the team is spending less, and maybe that 207.5 with 56 wins jumps to 209.5 with 60 wins. i agree tehy dont really care about teh wins, but if the wins bring in money, without them having to spend money, then they do care

Good grief... :banghead

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
It took two/three years to GET someone to take the Nationals now we are talking about potential suitors for another team, come on. 

Tampa has been on the chopping block for the last 3 years.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
Good grief...  :banghead

question: do you agree with me that tehy simply want to make money?

if yes, then answer this....to make money, they want to spend nothing right?

so trading away 7.5 mil makes sense right?

now trading that 7.5 mil away will lose them more games, but tehy dont care, as long as their profit is higher.

if they can get players in return, that somehow (maybe by contributing to wins) increases their profit as well, then why not?

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:27 AM)

How do you know what they care about?

Sorry but I think Steff really does know what they are like and how they are run and it is apparent on how they are run on a day-to-day basis. Lamar and the owner are good friends he ain't going nowhere and does not need to do anything but keep the salary down. Wins, losses and attendance do not matter.

Lamar is a fool and there is no recourse against, I guess this makes him brilliant.