Sox standing pat

JUGGERNAUT

Is it the end of WS dreams if the WSox stand pat?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Is it the end of WS dreams if the WSox stand pat?

• YES
    • PROBABLY
    • MAYBE
    • NOT REALLY
    • NO

I'm going to of course throw some stats at you before you decide.

ER:earned runs against, UER:unearned runs against

WSox Apr 05 17W-07L, ER 076, UER 5

WSox May 05 18W-10L, ER 101, UER 6

WSox Jun 05 18W-07L, ER 089, UER 9

WSox Jul 05 12W-11L, ER 103, UER 12

The point: Defense is the biggest factor to this team winning & losing. If a trade for a bat is going to weaken us defensively I say no. Crede is a major part of the defense so I say no to moving Crede. We've lost 3 games alone in Jul because of errors. We'd be 15W-08L otherwise.

If we're trading for a bat then it's got to be for a DH or reserve role. Otherwise the bullpen remains the top priority but we should not trade any of our core position players to upgrade it. The same theory applies to the rotation.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
I think no moves means a very tough climb come playoff time.    The Sox have peaked with their current roster, we've seen this team at it's best. I don't think I can say the same for all the other potential playoff teams.

The talent on the offense is fine, we just need someone to get through to some of these guys to stop going for the homer. Our usual suspects for homer or nothing their BA's are down from their career, their strikeouts are up and their homers are up. The minute the offense starts playing team baseball again is the minute the offense is fine.

Way back machine to 2000. White Sox vs M's.

Lost first game 7-4 in 10IN.

Lost 2nd game 5-2.

Lost 3rd game 2-1 on a bunt single in the 9th.

All 3 were tough contests where an error or a mis-play made the biggest difference.

SEA lost Moyer to injury for the remainder of the playoffs & went on to lose 4/6 to the NYY$ in the ALCS. Had Moyer been healthy they might have won the whole thing.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)
Way back machine to 2000.  White Sox vs M's. 

Lost first game 7-4 in 10IN. 

Lost 2nd game 5-2.

Lost 3rd game 2-1 on a bunt single in the 9th.

All 3 were tough contests where an error or a mis-play made the biggest difference.

It was also a complete shutdown of our 3-4-5 guys during that stretch. How many pop ups and K's did Konerko and Thomas have that series. Our pitchers didnt pitch that bad. Our offense though shutdown for the most part. Hence where the famous term CORPSEBALL was born.

With Frank out now, its time to get a good high BA stick who can give us double and drive in runs. We have enough high strikeout, high power, low BA guys who will be prone to slumps against good pitching. Lyle Overbay, LETS GET HIM NOW.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
It was also a complete shutdown of our 3-4-5 guys during that stretch.  How many pop ups and K's did Konerko and Thomas have that series.  Our pitchers didnt pitch that bad.  Our offense though shutdown for the most part.  Hence where the famous term CORPSEBALL was born.

With Frank out now, its time to get a good high BA stick who can give us double and drive in runs.  We have enough high strikeout, high power, low BA guys who will be prone to slumps against good pitching.  Lyle Overbay, LETS GET HIM NOW.

Yeah, wasn't Jose Valentin the only guy who hit decent in that playoff?

The bullpen matters the most in the post-season.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/mspost.shtml

Read the game stories. That 2000 Seattle M's team resembles our 2005 WSox a LOT. If not for Moyer's early exit they probably beat the NYY$ & win the WS (vs Mets).

All of their wins in the post-season feature great plays, a great bullpen, & timely hitting. That's has been the signature of this 2005 WSox team. The main difference between the two teams is we have a MUCH better rotation.

So, no I don't want a new SS unless I can be guaranteed the defense won't suffer the slightest. I'm all for upgrading the bullpen but even then I'm not sure what's available is any better than what we have. If we can obtain a better option at DH then by all mean's we should spend what we have to w/out sacrificing an everyday player.

That means saying no to any trade involving Pods, Rowand, Dye, Crede, Uribe, Iguchi, Konerko, AJ & Widger.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
I'm going to of course throw some stats at you before you decide.

ER:earned runs against, UER:unearned runs against

WSox Apr  05 17W-07L,  ER 076, UER 5

WSox May 05 18W-10L,  ER 101, UER 6

WSox Jun  05 18W-07L,  ER 089, UER 9

WSox Jul 05 12W-11L,  ER 103, UER 12

The point:  Defense is the biggest factor to this team winning & losing.  If a trade for a bat is going to weaken us defensively I say no.  Crede is a major part of the defense so I say no to moving Crede.  We've lost 3 games alone in Jul because of errors.  We'd be 15W-08L otherwise.

If we're trading for a bat then it's got to be for a DH or reserve role.  Otherwise the bullpen remains the top priority but we should not trade any of our core position players to upgrade it.  The same theory applies to the rotation.

Good analysis. I definitely agree about how bad it would be to weaken the defense - especially during the playoffs. Improving the bench is a good idea - and we know how tired some players can get near the end of a pennant chase. If we're up by a lot, then KW should bring up quite a few guys for Sept. And as for trades - Let's hope they can strengthen the bullpen.